BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

Some members in the Nexo Knights 2016 thread wanted a thread to discuss rumors for the next "real" Castle theme, so here it is.

In this topic, you can:

*Talk about all things Castle

*Talk about rumors for new Castle sets

*And make wish lists if you so feel. :wink:

Hopefully this will sort out some of the clutter in that thread.

Happy posting! :classic:

Fair enough. The title and call for wishlists was what made me feel they were very similar.

I heard a rumor that there will be a new Castle theme in 2016...

:grin:

Fair enough. The title and call for wishlists was what made me feel they were very similar.

:grin:

Dangerous talk, in times like these.

Heres my wishlist:

1) A traditional, low-tech, honest-to-goodness Castle theme. Fantasy or realistic, with repetitive or original heraldry and set concepts.

My wishlist is a Chinese Castle theme. Or Persian. There's too much Western Castle stuff out there, and not enough Eastern. But, I know this is unlikely. Sigh. Chinese castle theme would be so cool. With like bandits or Barbarians as the villain faction...

Or a Roman theme. This'd kinda count as castle, since they made castle-esque forts. :tongue:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

My wishlist is simple. Deliver a new theme that is the same quality (from a design perspective) as kingdoms. Nobody wanted more lions and dragons and the graphic design of kingdoms was so strong that nobody cared. Feel free to rehash old themes if necessary, and while the same ideas are fine (guarded gate, blacksmith, Kings chariot), don't be afraid to explore other concepts. This would include civilian scenarios like MMV and MVR which were both fantastic.

Fantasy elements (wizards, dragons and trolls) are fine, just try to limit the wacky vehicles. For example, the troll battle wheel from fantasy was too far out for me.

Extra points go to a theme that leverages the best of the Alexandre Boudon (please excuse spelling mistakes there) minifig concepts that include wood, dark and high elf concepts. That would get gobs of money from me if executed properly.

Edited by SirBlake

:oh: !

Careful.... there is almost a civil war about this already

:oh: !

Careful.... there is almost a civil war about this already

It's OK, false alarm, it turned out to be Nexo Knights.

:wink:

My wishlist is a Chinese Castle theme. Or Persian. There's too much Western Castle stuff out there, and not enough Eastern. But, I know this is unlikely. Sigh. Chinese castle theme would be so cool. With like bandits or Barbarians as the villain faction...

Or a Roman theme. This'd kinda count as castle, since they made castle-esque forts. :tongue:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Well, would an "Eastern Castle" theme actually count as a Castle theme? They didn't really have castles over in China and Japan, more like palaces and more elegant looking stuff.

I personally don't consider Ninja or Vikings Castle themes because neither of them actually contain castles.

I would think they would count, as long as they aren't techno-Chinese.

I'd love to see some Eastern, Persian, Greco-Roman, Viking, or other influences.

I am a fan of classic Castle sets with different Lion, Falcon, Wolf, Deer, and Dragon factions all existing simultaneously within one main theme. They could use this basic idea, but give them different building styles and geographical locations.

Imagine a Castle theme with factions like Western Lions (or Unicorns, or simply Crowns) alongside Eastern Dragons, Persian Falcons, Viking Wolves, Indian Deer. Maybe even Egyptian or Greco-Roman themed factions, as well. Each would have themed structures, vehicles, and distinct armor and weaponry. I don't think it would be likely, since LEGO wouldn't want to make any of these cultures out to be evil, but would want clear-cut good guys and villains. So to resolve that issue, maybe there would have to be a common threat to all of these civilizations, like the skeleton and goblin villains from the Fantasy Era.

Something like that could be really cool, especially if executed with all of the care and attention given to some other big themes.

Well, would an "Eastern Castle" theme actually count as a Castle theme? They didn't really have castles over in China and Japan, more like palaces and more elegant looking stuff.

I personally don't consider Ninja or Vikings Castle themes because neither of them actually contain castles.

I wouldnt restrict a castle theme to just castles - its the medieval setting that makes a castle theme a castle theme. Vikings for example frequently invaded Britain - so its very much related to castles. A castle doesnt need to be strictly a western castle - fortresses count as well imho

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himeji_Castle

I would like something akin to old unreleased Europe theme, instead of typically medieval setting, I would love to see something based around 17-18th century, optionally up to Napoleonic era.... Now, I know this would be similar to Pirates theme, but whithout ships, but, I guess this would be more mature in design theme (no cartoony flags and coats of arms, no Juniorisation, more subdued colours), akin to Kingdoms theme, perhaps throw in some fantasy elements (Trolls uder the bridges, Witches, Alchemists), or clockwork, or even steampunk elements to make it more interesting, or make two warring factions, one using Da Vinci-like technology and gadgets, and one that is all about occult and alchemy...

Also, another Castle theme that comes into mind, It's a remake of Forestmen, pitted against the remake of Wolf Pack, a merry band of forest dwelling outlaws, who take from rich, and give to the poor, versus powerful gang of bandit knights, who terrorize the whole kingdom, that would be cool, and it could be focusing more on civilian buildings, like taverns, villages, farms, workshops, but also Wolf Pack strongholds, Forestmen camps, etc...

Edited by Eggyslav

I think we should focus on things that would also be appealing towards younger customers.

Thinking about Napoleonic Era i don't see fun for kids.

It's great fur adults, but Lego won't make a series of sets for adults soon imho.

So think medieval and think kids, we nned those knights fighting dragons, orcs, evil wizards. We need elves and anything kids can relate to LOTR or HOBBIT.

Can't put rumors in that one. :wink:

That's what this topic is mainly for.

Sure, let's start more BrickJagger-fueled Castle-rumors... just what this place needs. :hmpf_bad:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Chinese vs. Mongols and Romans vs. Celts. Oh, i's love that! Please, can anyone make IT happen?

To those wondering if the Chinese built castles: yes. Yes they did. A lot of them. Sure many have fancy roofs, but they're still castles. Also a lot of walls and gateways, which would translate very well into Lego sets! :grin: Mmmm! I can see it now!

Chinese vs. Mongols and Romans vs. Celts. Oh, i's love that! Please, can anyone make IT happen?

Yes totally! That's what I meant... but Lego would have to dance around actually referring to the bad guys as Mongols or Celts, since both of these groups are still around in one way or another, and it'd be quite offensive to typify their ethnic group as "the bad guys" which is why we get so much fantasy stuff nowadays. No one to offend, since orcs and goblins aren't real. So I think it'd just be easier for Lego to call the villains "Bandits" or "Raiders" and just sort of style them after the group in question. :laugh: and they could be rather ambiguous too as to the details of who's the bad guy and who's the good guy, as they do with Pirates. :wink: or maybe just make the "bad guy" faction only sort of bad, like they did with Kingdoms (red lions v. Green dragons)

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Since there arent any actual rumors, maybe it would be better to merge this thread with the one x105Black posted?

Agree.

There won't be rumors for a new castle theme for a looooooooooooooooooong time

When it comes to Romans vs Celts, the Romans were the bad guys; conquest and supplanting the culture.

I would think a line of Classical Tales would be best, and wouldn't step on Nexo Knights territory. The Labors of Herakles, Jason and the Argonauts, Icarus, Caesar, Attila the Hun, Boudicca, Beowulf, and a host of other legendary and historical figures. These would include lots of wooded areas and ancient buildings. Many of the needed parts have already come through CMFs.

When it comes to Romans vs Celts, the Romans were the bad guys; conquest and supplanting the culture.

So were the Cowboys in the "Cowboys and Indians" themes, but no one ever portrays them that way. :ugh: Likewise with the Imperials in "Pirates" (not that the pirates were better. It's like Lawful Evil versus Chaotic Evil. But in reference to the islanders...), and Space Police in Space Police 3. I highly doubt Lego would break the mould by having the Romans portrayed as an invading force. The best I could hope for is "Romans versus Tribals" and have a fairly neutral portrayal of both, as per the current Pirates line, where both the Pirates and the Imperials are presented in media as neither particularly bad, nor truly heroic. Let the kids (or adults) decide.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Sure, let's start more BrickJagger-fueled Castle-rumors... just what this place needs. :hmpf_bad:

Let's be kind Hive. This is exactly what I expect will happen to this topic- but let's not start an insult war on page 1.