appiah4

The Millennium Falcon colour thread (White, Grey or Blue!)

What colour should the next Millennium Falcon be?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Possible options:

As people have said on this thread already: The 32" studio filming miniature was painted in Floquil Grime, which has an RGB value of (231,231,223).

The closest colour to Floquil Grime in the lego catalog is 208: Lght Stone Grey (also known as Very Light Blueish Grey on Bricklink) with an RGB of (229, 228, 222)

Since the UCS Falcon is 32 inches long, this is the EXACT colour which it should be built in.

Since we cannot do that, due to there only being 46 different parts in Light Stone Grey (and none of them terribly useful), I vote for the next nearest shade: Stone Grey (Light Blueish Grey).

The colour of the original miniature looks slightly yellowish under most lighting conditions, and the hull has a variety of subtly different shades. I therefore also suggest building it with about 50% old grey parts, and the more yellowed the better.

Photographed properly, it looks very convincing and not too grey at all.

I've put one together just to use as an example on this thread:

12801995855_46b52c9aa4.jpg

The dark studio shot has some strong spot lights shining on the set Falcon, those sections may have been overexposed to white. The other parts of the ship like the cockpit not directly under the strong light look greyish... There is also movie magic. Since they overlay a model Falcon in the final product, they may not put the effort detailing sections that won't be in the shot with actors.

Edited by dr_spock

So in conclusion, is it a dark shade of white or a light shade of grey?... :look:

More like 50 Shades of Grey :laugh:

So in conclusion, is it a dark shade of white or a light shade of grey?... :look:

In conclusion: it's mostly a light shade of yellowish grey, with lots of subtle colour variation: which looks grey or white depending upon the studio lighting.

And the red parts are they really red or should they be more orange red rusty looking

"Rusty" red is right. The red which Lego use isn't a bad match, but the original colour has a lot more orange in it than you'd expect.

These guys do pre-mixed Falcon paint colours (for the DeAgostini partwork model which is being published at the moment):

http://www.starwars-doa.co.uk/doa-starwars-millennium-falcon-single-bottles-4-c.asp

See how yellow the "ESB Grime" shade is? (this is the basic colour of the 32" Falcon). See how orange-y the panel red is?

Did someone already make a dress joke? :grin:

The real question is why have they been making the snowspeeders white? I think they're pretty clearly gray in ESB

Agreed, they are actually as grey as an AT-AT, but you never see anyone making a white AT-AT.

KGyWh7S.jpg

More like four shades of grey: light grey, dark grey, bley and dark bley. The whipping will stop when you can see white. :laugh:

But you forgot very light bluish grey :wink:

Seriously, one thing is how the actual studio models look under real lightning and how they look in the movies. How the actual models look is not important as we're not suppose to see them anyway. It only maters how they look in the movies. Which would be easy to resolved if there wasn't so darn many versions of said movies :angry:

Plus so many versions of said vehicles in those movies to boot ...

Oh, Lucas what have you done! :laugh:

Cheers,

Ole

I have been thinking of doing my own UCS Tantive for a while as I have never seen a 10019 at any reasonable price - and of course both versions of Tantive so far are white - and yet from the studio model shot of all the ships seen together, both the Tantive and Falcon seem to be more or less the same colour.

So would the Tantive look better in grey??? I think it quite possibly would! Has anyone seem a grey one?

If you built it white, then you would lose all detail unless you put a wash on it and I doubt any of us want to coat our legos in dirty paintbrush alcohol.

White Falcons do not look right.

Hasbro's:

Hasbro's after I gave it a wash:

Lego has to use grey and I found the use of tan bricks very refreshing. It captures the screen model perfectly.

The AT-AT is even a better example:

It takes a lot of wash to make it right.

Whoa. That AT-AT looks AWESOME... I'd love to do that to mine. Can you share your process?

If the Millennium Falcon is white, then what does that make this Star Destroyer?

I think TheBear's post about sums it up. The Destroyer would then be super duper white?

Edited by Cyanide-Tipped

@Bear and @Cyanide

I've read it somewhere - those star destroyers are all painted white ...

It was on one of the novels, where somebody wanted to paint an privately owned ISD in red and that was not possible, because red was not available in that huge amounts, only the white that was used for the star destroyers.

Edited by the_colonel

@Bear and @Cyanide

It was on one of the novels, where somebody wanted to paint an privately owned ISD in red and that was not possible, because red was not available in that huge amounts, only the white that was used for the star destroyers.

Come now, guys, let's not make this harder than it already is. The Falcon and the Star Destroyers are grey, and so are snowspeeders, and that's the end of it!

Edited by General Magma

@Bear and @Cyanide

lol, not enough red paint in the universe :P

Either way, +1 to general Magma, stuff is grey, all of it

EDIT: and to throw some more oil on the fire, so is the Tyidirium, light grey all the way

Edited by vectormatic

As I have started the issue concerning the white color of those ISD - here are two links to the wookiepedia:

White: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Destroyer_White

Red ISD: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Errant_Venture

After reading the second wiki entry, I've just found out that Lando owned a ship called the 'Love Commander' - proof, if any was needed, that doing away with the old EU was the best thing to do!

After reading the second wiki entry, I've just found out that Lando owned a ship called the 'Love Commander' - proof, if any was needed, that doing away with the old EU was the best thing to do!

This made me crack up :P

And yeah, legends, some really bad stuff in there

This made me crack up :P

And yeah, legends, some really bad stuff in there

We'll always miss Thrawn; but other than that not to sad to see some stuff go!

Then again, Lando's other ship "Lady Luck" was pretty stylish and would make a great MOC.