DuckBricks

Lego Nexo Knights TV Series Discussion

Lego Nexo Knights TV Show was announced!

Trailer 1:

Trailer 2:

What do you think?

Edit: Press Release:

"Television Series

LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS, a 20-episode, animated adventure comedy series, will debut on select global broadcast television networks as soon as late December 2015 and air throughout 2016. The core means by which children follow the story and get to know the characters, the series follows the constant adventures of LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS heroes and villains. Children will also be able to scan new LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS powers directly from their content viewing screen into their app games, further connecting their play experience."

Edited by Phred

Hehe, I can see why Castle fans are hating this, but for fans of sci-fi and creative mashups like me, this looks pretty fun. It has more of a Ninjago vibe than a Chima vibe which is good. And the scanning feature sounds intriguing. I wonder how it will work. Will they show an icon on screen that you scan with your phone/tablet and then gain a new ability in the game? Sounds like an interesting idea and a good way to give people another reason to watch the show.

I'll be looking forward to this.

It looks juvenile, which I guess is what you would expect from something like this.

Unfortunately for me, it lacks the appeal of the best 80's cartoons, which some seem to feel that it resembles. While I definitely remember some cartoons being cheesy from time to time, this is just a bit too over the top for my tastes.

Some elements are pretty cool, but in my opinion it's just too goofy and silly.

OOOH. I hadn't seen that second trailer! Just looking at Jestro's transformation shows how willing LEGO is to go dark on the tone this time around.

The characters look well thought out, and with the lack of 12+ other characters they'd like to focus on (Chima...) this looks like we might get some good genuine plot.

I just hope that with 20 episodes, we don't have the filler issue that Chima had (we had like, what, 7 episodes devoted to generic Speedorz racing).

It also sounds like you'll be able to download shield powers from the show into the Merlok 2.0 App, or that's what I think the press release made it sound like.

To cut to the chase, I'm optimistic at where this is heading, more so than I was with Chima, that's for sure.

Just looking at Jestro's transformation shows how willing LEGO is to go dark on the tone this time around.

That transformation looked like the only really dark thing going on. Overall, the tone felt very light in both trailers. At least, that's how I felt about it.

It seems like a little jittery at times compared to Ninjago's animation, but that's only to be expected with trailers. Some parts of this may seem a little too goofy, even for me, but I'm going to give it a try. It's not like I'm watching that many series, after all. It also intrigues me that both the main villain and the book behind the man, as it were, seem to have somewhat sympathetic motives: the wish to be successful and either the wish to perform its intended purpose or simply a desire for creativity.

Edited by DraikNova

Just some thoughts and first impressions:

Animation

Like other Lego shows, the only things that actually look like Lego are the mini-figs. I can understand landscaping but there's no real excuse to not make the vehicles and small structures out of bricks (Except the Fortex, but we'll get to that later).

The daytime landscape is alright, but the star of the show is easily the nighttime scenes. There the Tron-esque lighting really shows its style. Personally I think that when Jestro attacks a dark purple cloud should be there just to make the lighting darker. Fights in broad daylight really seem goofy. Anyway, this is pretty solid animation.

Characters

Stereotypical, but they have potential. It'll be a shame if they don't develop these characters. All of them have very strong personality traits, so it'll be interesting to see how they work off each other.

Jestro looks like the best of them all. He just hits that perfect balance of being both humorous and creepy.

The lava monsters are goofy like most Lego villains. I suspect this is because these guys look straight up demonic. I'm a little disappointed in the lava orbs, but the golems and even the minions look great. However I can't help but notice the monsters don't actually set fire to anything in the trailers. If nobody else, the lava orbs could definitely be improved if they had a tail of fire. They look ridiculous in broad light, but probably menacing in the dark. Making their attacks covered in shadow would be better.

Voice Acting

Phenomenal. From the few lines heard each and every character (I need to hear more of the book before deciding on it.) has a fantastic voice. Let's hope the writing can live up to the talent.

Concepts

The Fortex is clearly intended to be the knight's base of operations . It also is portrayed larger than the set probably to contain both the vehicles and living spaces of the knights. From what I've seen I'm guessing it is both the knight's armory and motor home. Since it partially isolates the knight's from the outside world hopefully it will lead to some good (and humorous) character interactions.

The only thing I can't understand is how available technology is. Aside from the knights nobody else really appears futuristic. This is most apparent in Lance's character video. In said video, two Knights fight for the affections of a princesses. Nothing even suggests the world takes place in a futuristic society until Lance shows up near the end of the video. Needless to say the Knights just look out of place. If you're going to go sci-fi, go all out. I see no reason why a regular bow and arrow should exist in the same world as laser crossbows.

The upgrade concept could either be handled very well or very poorly. I fear that it will be used as a constant MacGuffin. Hopefully they use it sparingly and creatively.

Final Thoughts

All in all this series has potential. At this point it can just go either way. It could turn out good, or another Chima. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

Edited by Dr_Chronos

Just some thoughts and first impressions:

Animation

Like other Lego shows, the only things that actually look like Lego are the mini-figs. I can understand landscaping but there's no real excuse to not make the vehicles and small structures out of bricks (Except the Fortex, but we'll get to that later).

I saw in an interview that someone linked to here, within the last few days, that the very real excuse behind the unlegoing of vehicles and sets is that shows that are blatant toy commercials can't be shown in some markets and having a one to one recreation of the toy gets it classified that way. So you get a very slightly less blatant commercial that can be broadcast to a lot more kids.

The only thing I can't understand is how available technology is. Aside from the knights nobody else really appears futuristic. This is most apparent in Lance's character video. In said video, two Knights fight for the affections of a princesses. Nothing even suggests the world takes place in a futuristic society until Lance shows up near the end of the video. Needless to say the Knights just look out of place. If you're going to go sci-fi, go all out. I see no reason why a regular bow and arrow should exist in the same world as laser crossbows.

I noticed this as well, and it actually gives me hope that we'll see some sets with medieval styled civilians. That would be the highlight of the theme for me.

I will definitely be checking this out. It seems to be better than Chima, and hopefully will be (at least) on par with Ninjago. Actually, Im afraid it will be too similar, with little to differentiate them than the setting.

Another concern of mine is that the monsters seem to easily beatable - one hit and even the big ones go up in a puff of smoke.

The Jestro turing evil part looks very sinister

But... that means he is not the main villain. The book is.

I can already tell that it will not be as serious as ninjago, as the combat does not appear to be as well choreographed as ninjago's.

This show will probably turn out to be Chima, in my opinion. But one thing I really liked (similar to Chima) is the visual details to the characters and environment, but the animation looks a bit poor when it comes to fighting, like Chima's poor animations when it came to running (lol)

The show doesn't need to take itself seriously to be good, but it feels like it's missing something.

I can already tell that it will not be as serious as ninjago, as the combat does not appear to be as well choreographed as ninjago's.

This show will probably turn out to be Chima, in my opinion. But one thing I really liked (similar to Chima) is the visual details to the characters and environment, but the animation looks a bit poor when it comes to fighting, like Chima's poor animations when it came to running (lol)

The show doesn't need to take itself seriously to be good, but it feels like it's missing something.

I feel like this is a mix between pretty serious (Ninjago) and really goofy (Chima). That ending said, the only goofiness I'm seeing from this are the villains, and Ninjago's skeletons were way goofier than these demon type monsters.

One think I liked about Chima were the interesting camera angles used in the battle scenes, which I can see some aspects of here, which is great. Fighting, as seen from the trailers, isn't really on par with Ninjago, but I guess it's too early to make a concrete assumption on that...

Well... I'll hold my opinion until I see the show. He has less characters to work with, mind you.

On the plus side, if this theme fails, they officially have no reason to hire him again!

Unless of course they find him too precious an asset. Then Lego needs some sense talkin'...

After seeing the Book of Monsters video I have a question

If the Book can create lava monsters on his own, then what's the point of Jestro?

After seeing the Book of Monsters video I have a question

If the Book can create lava monsters on his own, then what's the point of Jestro?

He's there to be the main villain. Honestly, a book isn't going to be the main villain

He's there to be the main villain. Honestly, a book isn't going to be the main villain

Jokes aside, that DOES raise a good question... Perhaps the book needed to be activated or awoken from someone within the castle? That's really the only plausible reason, as the book doesn't need transportation - it could just create a monster to bring it around...

Jokes aside, that DOES raise a good question... Perhaps the book needed to be activated or awoken from someone within the castle? That's really the only plausible reason, as the book doesn't need transportation - it could just create a monster to bring it around...

I just assumed it was that it need a human to activate its powers, but looking at the video, it does just create monsters on its own. That's...kind of a big plot hole, really. :sceptic:

Maybe we'll get an explanation eventually, but for now... :sceptic:

I just assumed it was that it need a human to activate its powers, but looking at the video, it does just create monsters on its own. That's...kind of a big plot hole, really. :sceptic:

A lot of character spots like this though are non canon and don't make much sense anyways... How did the BoM get into the hands of some random mother? I wouldn't count them as canon...

Maybe the book just has a better sense of humor than Jestro and the whole "giving Jestro the power to summon monsters" thing is a prank. That'd be some cruel irony there.

Seriously, why do I keep coming up with theories like this?

Ninjago's skeletons were way goofier than these demon type monsters.

Really? Watch An Under worldly Takeover. Really? I'd be freaked out if those tried to get me. I mean, the heroes will probably encounter those lava things a lot, which are unanimously the goofiest mob Lego put into a show.