khatmorg

[MOD] Colorswapped 75102 X-Wing

Khatmorg, many thanks for your awesome efforts!

You've inspired me to mock up a somewhat similar idea, with rachets assisted by some regular hinges for some extra friction, fully split yet completely sturdy wings, and nearly invisible retractable landing gear in its correct position. (I'm so OCD with landing gear, and this was the biggest single omission on the Poe X Wing IMO) With the added bonus that the wings and engine intakes close absolutely seamlessly. Just waiting for the grey ratchet plates to arrive for the build.(and then I'll make my own thread of course lol)

Top:

image_zpsyhimrl2c.jpeg

Bottom:

image_zpsqq0iliq8.jpeg

Rear:

image_zpsxxrtbypb.jpeg

Landing gear down:

image_zps8anuhbfq.jpeg

Edited by Dameronian

are you able to show a detailed picture(s) of the retractable landing gear please ?

I have the POE X-Wing but an rebuilding it because I find the black far too dark and don't like the rubber band Wing mechanism. This has come at just the right time.

are you able to show a detailed picture(s) of the retractable landing gear please ?

I have the POE X-Wing but an rebuilding it because I find the black far too dark and don't like the rubber band Wing mechanism. This has come at just the right time.

Sure, for reference, the three 2x3 plates alongside each other represent the black slopes of the engine cowling. These stay in place. The landing gear came of that truly horrible Plo Koon starfighter...so basically the landing gear sits below the curved engine cowl, and ends where the rubber band hook would sit, right alongside the engine outlet.

3CC36C2C-3D98-4C94-9C93-415A8EE2AE05_zpsk1z45mtz.jpg

A706464E-C052-4664-88DC-8CD474EE7043_zpsnzveg6mz.jpg

BAE3603E-B3C4-4A0B-9F80-8CA90417BDFE_zpsdeiw0jn6.jpg

Edited by Dameronian

Here's my version of the rear landing gear in case you're interested.

22087673386_a7288e1f5a_c.jpg

Edited by khatmorg

Being a fan of color swapping myself (see my A-wings and Y-wings), I can only applaud your job here. Very nice and wonderful result.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

The wings are mounted on the mechanism pictured below. It's based on psiaki's design. You could probably just copy his design brick for brick and it would still work great, I've personally never had problems with it in his T-65 design.

In my real life version I used clips instead of ratcheted joints, since I don't have enough of those. Ratcheted joints are probably better though. I did keep the clips on the front thingymabobs as they wont fit 1x2 with the wings attached. The clips look pretty weird but the clutch power on those were greater than the other solution I had before. The red rocker plate is to illustrate the gap between the upper and lower wings. I didn't actually mount one exactly there, but I did put one beneath each of the top engines so they would rest on them (the flat bit) in closed mode.

As for how much it cost me. Well I only had to bricklink the parts specific to 75102 (the silver bits and canopy) and most of the blue parts. The rest I already had on hand. It ended up costing me around 15 euro's altogether to build it (excluding whatever I paid for the parts I already had).

21868875678_4e738dd937_c.jpg

Hi. Is there a chance that someone can help explain in more detail how to modify Poe's X-Wing in order to implement this wing mechanism? Like many others, I'm not a fan of the rubber band system and want to use an alternative. But I'm not an experienced modder and it seems that there's more involved to the process of actually replacing the existing parts in order to fit this into the X-Wing. For example, what parts need to me removed and where do these parts go?

Edited by ArchieNov

Hello !

This blue T-70 X-Wing just look awesome !

I'm not a huge fan of the black/orange Poe's X-Wing, but I'll definitely build one of your blue X-Wing if I could !

Can you give us a part-list + instructions or a LDD build model to allow us to brickbuild it from nothing ? It would be very cool ! :D

Thanks !

Ramses25

Can you give us a part-list + instructions or a LDD build model to allow us to brickbuild it from nothing ?

Ramses25

I will not be doing that, I'm sorry. It's 90% TLG's design anyhow so you could take the LDD file here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41226&st=4400#entry2349087, and paint it a different color as a starting point.

On 11/10/2015 at 1:50 AM, Dameronian said:

Khatmorg, many thanks for your awesome efforts!

You've inspired me to mock up a somewhat similar idea, with rachets assisted by some regular hinges for some extra friction, fully split yet completely sturdy wings, and nearly invisible retractable landing gear in its correct position. (I'm so OCD with landing gear, and this was the biggest single omission on the Poe X Wing IMO) With the added bonus that the wings and engine intakes close absolutely seamlessly. Just waiting for the grey ratchet plates to arrive for the build.(and then I'll make my own thread of course lol)

Top:

image_zpsyhimrl2c.jpeg

Bottom:

image_zpsqq0iliq8.jpeg

Rear:

image_zpsxxrtbypb.jpeg

Landing gear down:

image_zps8anuhbfq.jpeg

Hi there! Just saw this thread. Any chance you could re-load these photos? I'm looking to do the same to my 75102. Thanks!