khatmorg

[MOD] Colorswapped 75102 X-Wing

Hello,

Much like the 9493 mod I was sure someone would have posted one of these already but guess not! So here's my colorswapped 75102 for people curious what the "regular" resistance X-wing might look like in LEGO form.

I made some minor alterations to the original model besides the colors. The main thing I did was the removal of the rubber band wing mechanism (I really dislike how it distorts the wings). Instead of that I used a mechanism, if you can call it that, akin to psiaki's x-wing. The wings themselves are properly split without overlap and still pretty much as sturdy as the original even with less stud attachments. I also added retractable rear landing gear and made the model 1 stud wider and moved the whole nose/cockpit area back 1 stud, reducing the overall length by 1 stud. And finally the wing tip cannons are slightly altered to make them less saggy.

Cruising Mode:

21848494420_a6fa71000c_c.jpg

S-Foils in attack position :tongue: :

21848494590_61e5327169_c.jpg

Parked:

22036672885_9983b9de82_c.jpg

Next to the (also slightly altered) original:

22010474666_90a80617e3_c.jpg

(Ahhh My eyes, it burns!)

21415514003_fecb8e5006_c.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality :tongue: I know they're not great.

Edited by khatmorg

Nice, I like it better than the original. Not that the original's bad -- it's just your mod is a more traditionally "Star Wars" coloration, I think.

I love it ! I had the project to build one, without knowing what could look like a white and blue new X-Wing. I can see it is worth it ! :classic: You did a great job !

This is the best mod I have seen so far. Great work. Any chance we could get some breakdown pictures of how you modified the wings and the wing split mechanism?

Woah, this version looks so much more elegant. I'll pass on Poe's X-Wing, but if TLG ever releases one in this white and blue colour scheme, I'll surely purchase one.

It's amazing how much more the white and blue one actually LOOKS like an X-Wing. I wasn't impressed with the orange and black X-wing, but I really, really like this one.

I realise that the intent was a straight "color-swap", but have you considered adding a Psiaki-style fuselage forward of the cockpit? The new X-Wing has a shorter, more steeply-sloped fuselage than the original trilogy model - with a few small changes, Mike Psiaki's design would capture it brilliantly.

I like it a lot.

Anyone to do the same thing with 10240 ?? :D

Nice one, but how much did you spend to complete in this modification? (If you use Bricklink for buy the parts)

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Outstanding! I like you x wing better than the official one, this way even the blue rubber bands would go unnoticed.

Outstanding! I like you x wing better than the official one, this way even the blue rubber bands would go unnoticed.

Actually.. That leads me to think.. the rubberbands are blue because the next X-Wing is Blue/White, and they didn't want to stock on orange rubber bands?

Actually.. That leads me to think.. the rubberbands are blue because the next X-Wing is Blue/White, and they didn't want to stock on orange rubber bands?

That's not why. The rubber bands are color coded regarding their size. The size they used just so happened to be blue. 9493 conveniently used white ones, so they blended in.

As for the actual model, it's fantastic! The simple color swap made it look so much better. I'd love to see how you made the wing mechanism, as I want to incorporate a similar system on my own modded 9493. I always had an issue with Mike's mechanism, as the wings would never deploy properly on mine. How similar is it to his? Is it more stable?

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

The wings are mounted on the mechanism pictured below. It's based on psiaki's design. You could probably just copy his design brick for brick and it would still work great, I've personally never had problems with it in his T-65 design.

In my real life version I used clips instead of ratcheted joints, since I don't have enough of those. Ratcheted joints are probably better though. I did keep the clips on the front thingymabobs as they wont fit 1x2 with the wings attached. The clips look pretty weird but the clutch power on those were greater than the other solution I had before. The red rocker plate is to illustrate the gap between the upper and lower wings. I didn't actually mount one exactly there, but I did put one beneath each of the top engines so they would rest on them (the flat bit) in closed mode.

As for how much it cost me. Well I only had to bricklink the parts specific to 75102 (the silver bits and canopy) and most of the blue parts. The rest I already had on hand. It ended up costing me around 15 euro's altogether to build it (excluding whatever I paid for the parts I already had).

21868875678_4e738dd937_c.jpg

Edited by khatmorg

It looks a lot better in these colors!

I'm a fan of vintage muscle cars, so I love the orange/black pattern, (probably the demographic they were hoping to hit), but I also like the blue and white pattern. I hope the "stock" x-wings are blue and white though, because the orange/black looks too custom.

Im glad someone has done this, and I think you have done an excellent job... unfortunately.... such an excellent job that I want both now!