EDIT: Parts list & building instructions updated: HERE

Greetings! Kevin again.

I’ve got a new MOC to show you guys: a new version of my custom forklift.

21973486466_b2ba891d39_b.jpg

A year ago, I built my first decent MOC - a RC forklift, and shared my building instructions.

That’s less than 9 months since I bought my first LEGO set (8043) in my life when I finished that forklift.

It was a very premature creation and I planned to upgrade it long ago.

Now this new version is done. :classic:

21811789128_df7565599f_b.jpg

21376886874_441dce9ce3_b.jpg

So, what’s been upgraded?

It’s been totally redesigned from the inside out. Now it has a better lifting performance, a better looking, and much easier to maneuver.

21973417116_784cd9e824_b.jpg

21376893574_2def15c450_b.jpg

Lift assembly is powered by 2 PF L motors, it can lift up to 0.9kg of weight.

I used the same lift mechanism as the old version, because it provides a reasonable lift height, which linear actuators failed to do.

The assembly is a bit thick so I used technic beams to replace the old technic bricks, and 8-teeth gears instead of the old 12-teeth gears.

21378431443_1aa0c4751f_b.jpg

It is front-wheel drive and rear-wheel steering.

In the old version I used the steering mechanism of Madoca's AWD SUV. It’s a great design but not so good for a forklift.

I redesigned the driving & steering systems, now it steers more like a real one and has a much tighter turning radius.

21811756808_388fcfdfb0_b.jpg

A short video demonstrating all major upgrades(1080p @ 60fps):

Another clip showing the chassis and how motorized functions work(4K @ 30fps):

1 PF XL motor for propulsion,

2 PF L motors for lifting,

1 PF L motor for steering,

1 PF L motor for tilting.

More photos:

21376868894_5526037ae7_b.jpg

21811397930_d06bf93c9d_b.jpg

21376826944_8afd9851c6_b.jpg

21973466636_b5dd3d41c6_b.jpg

21987329342_583d036726_b.jpg

I was planning to make the steering wheel and levers functional, but there is not enough space down there,

And making the levers’ movement authentic is quite complex, I have to give up that idea and made it manually controlled.

At last, see more of my creations at Rebrickable & my YouTube Channel.

I’m working on building instructions and hopefully it will be released in a few weeks. Stay tuned!

Edited by KevinMoo

Isn't an L motor a bit of an overkill on the steering? Is it just because it is easier to mount?

Way to go KevinMoo. Looks even better than version 1.0. Great job. I've built your first forklift and was really impressed. I'm looking forward to building this beauty. The small steering wheels make it look more realistic. I guess having the front wheels powered improves traction a lot (which was a problem with the first version).

Nonetheless, great presentation and photography.

Looks good! Almost looks like the mast is dragging on the ground though.

It’s OK, there is a tiny space down there when the forklift works on a flat surface.

Isn't an L motor a bit of an overkill on the steering? Is it just because it is easier to mount?

That’s one reason, another reason is that it makes the chassis symmetric, something I preferred. Otherwise I have to use 2 M motors on both sides.

Way to go KevinMoo. Looks even better than version 1.0. Great job. I've built your first forklift and was really impressed. I'm looking forward to building this beauty. The small steering wheels make it look more realistic. I guess having the front wheels powered improves traction a lot (which was a problem with the first version).

Nonetheless, great presentation and photography.

I actually changed the gear ratio from 24:8 to 20:12, since 24-teeth gear won’t fit in a small space. It works fine, though.

Why the seat is so small?

Otherway great.

Perhaps it’s because the steering wheel is too big. :laugh:

Very nice model, well done, but I think, that you put too heavy cargo, because I heard some noise, like broken gears ;)

That’s for load capacity test, they are not actually broken, that sound indicates the gears are slipping under heavy load.

It looks and works great. The bodywork, especially on the rear, is fantastic. Great pictures, too - I don't know how you got the bricks to be so shiny.

Guys, I have finished the instructions!

I made some modifications on the exterior, a major change is that the rear part of the chassis is 1 stud shorter now.

It looks like this:

22287710500_92328c8258_b.jpg

Parts list and building instructions available at:

http://rebrickable.c...-forklift-mk-ii

Enjoy :classic:

Edited by KevinMoo

That's a super nice photo-building instruction you've made there. Most of the time, photo-instructions are less clear than 'real' LDraw-based instructions, but the one you made looks superb. I can imagine a lot of work went into it...

I'm only missing 50 parts, mostly new parts or panels. Thanks so much for sharing the instructions :classic::thumbup:

Guys, I have finished the instructions!

Thank You very much KevinMoo! :sweet::thumbup:

2 L-motors left.

P.S. The instruction is just amazing.

Edited by ifilin