Sign in to follow this  
Logan McOwen

How did you envision Mata Nui before 2009?

Mata nui was a pivotal character in G1 Bionicle's lore, often portrayed in a light similar to that of a deity. In 2008 however, the mystery of just what Mata Nui truly was was laid to rest, with the reveal of the GSR. But not long after this reveal, the spirit of the machine was ejected into the depths of space, trapped inside the powerful Kanohi Ignika. It crash landed on the barren wasteland of Bara Magna, and constructed a body for its host - Mata Nui himself. We finally had a face to the Great Spirit.

But before 2009, how did you envision Mata Nui? What did you thing he looked like? Did you think we'd ever find out? Were you disappointed when you discovered the truth?

Yea, I had envisioned him before the reveal. Honestly..I imagined him to be a large robot..not to the scale in which he was revealed...but considering Makuta was a robotic-thing..I just assumed Mata Nui was too. I never actually thought we'd find out...mostly because of how the length of the Bionicle storyline. Wouldn't say disappointed....surprised that he took a toa form, but not disappointed.

I don't remember well, I think I assumed he was a white and/or gold powerful titan-like figure like Brutaka or Makuta. Just way, way more powerful than them. I didn't pick the "Mata Nui is physically stronger than the Great Beings" hint until it was too late.

I guessed that, since he was a Great Spirit, he would be a vaguely humanoid entity with a Hau for a face. When Matoro said the Ignika was his mask in 2007, I replaced the Hau with the Ignika, since, well, what's more fitting for a god? A mask that anyone can wear, or the Ignika?

Honestly, I never invisioned him as anything. I always assumed he was some sort of omni present being, like he is everywhere. And in a way that is correct since he literally was the universe all the characters lived in so he was everywhere. If that makes sense.

I had envisioned him as a white and silver being that wore the Ignika and wielded the staff of Artahka. I had made a moc of him before the reveal but scrapped it about a year later to make space for better mocs

Oh I had many ideas of Mata Nui as a kid. I imagined him as a Toa who was a demi-god that God(yes, that God) had given control over the Bionicles (I also thought that the player character in MNOG was a human, so as a 7 year old kid I drew a goofy comic of a 7 year old saving Ga-Koro while God kept trying to prod Mata Nui awake...). Once I realized Bionicle had no connection to reality, I soon accepted Mata Nui was either a Titan or a god/spirit.

So yeah the whole Big Robot/Michael Dorn/Exiled Toa in a Mask was very far from what I had imagined.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

dont believe i ever gave much thought to imagining Mata Nui pre reveal outside some pondering in the early years like 2001-3 where he was a a generally regal/siantly mechanical humanoid big enough to use two mountains as arm rests for a throne. he's been sleeping upon a giant throne made of mountains. and while i am betting newer memories contaminated those old memories i wanna say i predicted the ground shaking awakening of this Great Spirit.

dont think i ever put much thought after that especially during the Ignition saga where mata Nui had a huge role becaus ei figured i'd trust the series. i for sure never suspected a humanoid space station and this idea inspires and intrigues me.

I think I started out in 2008 thinking he was Toa Ignika, later on only as a spirit. Funny thing is that Michael Dorn voiced him pretty much exactly the way I imagined his voice. Of course prior to that, around January or February 2009 I had seen the first leaks and thought his canister set was gold. :/ Though the Keetorange looks great on him, imo. But you know... gold...

Also from 01-07ish I never put much thought towards it.

Edited by MakutaOfWar

I don't think I ever gave much thought in Mata Nui's appearance, if anything, I always thought of him being a god-like entity with no physical body.

Seriously, no one imagined him looking anything like this? I'm an idiot.P]

I imagined him looking a bit like toa Ignika, having gotten into Bionicle around 2008, but because of my tardiness I didn't have long to think of him as that I can't control my tongue.