LiLmeFromDaFuture

Tahu; Toa Mata; Ta Koro's Protector

- Last year I became re-fanatic with the early lines of BIONICLES 2001–2003. I reread and looked at all the magazines, comics, books (especially Makuta’s guide to the universe) that I had about them. I went up online to scour YouTube for reviews of several sets from those lines—I was especially fond of the Rahi ones. I planned to set on a mission to collect all sets from those lines—a mission I have yet to start. I then came across a website where I can replay all web games and videos, that a while ago, were once on Lego.com—good times… It has always been 2001 through 2003 for me—those will forever be my favorite lines…

- 2015, now we have, what I jokingly term, “HERONICLES,” because personally they are HERO FACTORY literally masked with BIONICLES. Personally, they are respectable—especially since Lego brought the whole theme back, because prior to any release of confidential information about the return, I question why would they discontinue a beloved thing in the first place (not to put blame on their later lines *cough* “Stars”—but it did introduce the new Hau mold). The products though, are not what I anticipated. I remember when my brother told me images of the new sets were surfacing on the internet, when I found some decent images of them, I was hoping they were prototypes, fan made, or something! Where’s the sophistication? Where’s the skeletal-esque figure under all that excessive clad of armor plates?

- I wasn’t not at all too fond of the new color scheme, well because I was looking for something more of the original Toa Mata (you know, orange, light/dark gray, tan, lime, etc.). It kinda reminds me of the Knights’ Kingdom figures when they attained new, shiny, armor—more armor is not always best option to make things look more invigorating! Then the masks, I will just say I like Pohatu & Kopaka’s most, but then again, for all of them, I wish they went with some of the earlier designs from their concept art, which resembles more of their originals. The gear feature is an enjoyable feature, but that reminiscence of that mechanical incarnation that the earliest years of BIONICLES simulated is quite loss under the clad of armor and the simplistic part alternatives.

- But oh well! I did not come here to bring up a rememberable past or to gripe about change… umm… or have I already? Besides, isn’t it why most of us or even a reason why EB is here today, because we’re not completely satisfied with the entirety of Lego’s products? Well, somewhere down the line of rediscovering old things and discovering new things, I was tinkering with a red and medium blue Matoran torsos. I flipped the torsos sideways, in a clockwise manner, held them together in the form of a new torso, and pondered, “Hey this resembles the torso of a spartan soldier from the Halo series!”

- Well I haven’t made any Spartans yet, but I had this astonishing idea to re-imagine Toa Mata Tahu with greater sophistication and stature, but minus the swivel arm action. In addition In tribute to the pristine era of Bionicles, I remain genuine to the original color scheme our favorite red, hotheaded Toa dons, but to also, the certain colors axles and pins were available at the time. Indeed, that is dedication. In most cases you will find deliberate uses of black Technic axles, light grey & black pins(w)axles, light grey Technic bushes, light grey gears, original Technic ball joints, etc.

- On Tahu, I happen to use a few System elements for the hand and sword, as well a couple of minifigure arms & hands for thumbs—but that is all! Additionally, something that not so pure, is that I modified a Technic pin connector by which connects the ball joint on the chest. I as well permeated the axle connector of the head with super, so I could lodge mask(s) in a fixed position, since the head cannot actually accommodate the small mask.

- To top it off, I wanted to come up with a term in BIONICLES that meant revamped. I had somewhat of a list for possible names to choose from, then I finally settled on the one that sounded and looked BIONICLE-ish enough: "Owihou." It is completely my fiction and I guarantee you will be "without" any chance of finding anything related to it on the internet.

Enjoy!

21792156780_845749227d_c.jpg

21793382809_325ee3e304_c.jpg

21990100991_f8637a9e60_c.jpg

21968118092_436ee75f23_c.jpg

21792449538_5d0d063191_c.jpg

21990118851_8b40776138_c.jpg

21357556124_87f9ba333a_c.jpg

21968129742_9ce4c5ca41_c.jpg

21954151146_d1a2893055_c.jpg

21792199980_3925f29cef_c.jpg

Excellent! The proportions are good. I also like the torso built using two Vahki/Kohliitoran torso pieces, those things tend to be rather tricky to use on anything.

The photos are nice too, especially liking the first four poses.

Much appreciated, Pate-Keetongu! Yes, the torso was like an "Aha moment"—the design came together like the pieces were destined to be built in this fashion. Though I agree that the uses of those torsos are perhaps limiting due its design.

Glad you like the photos.

Very nice rendition of his original form, especially love the use of those Slizer arm/Mata hands on the shoulders giving the feel of the black connector pieces. And I agree on the torso as well, very unique.

Very nice rendition of his original form, especially love the use of those Slizer arm/Mata hands on the shoulders giving the feel of the black connector pieces. And I agree on the torso as well, very unique.

Thank you. The only disadvantage with using those for shoulders is the limitation in range of motion—he couldn't quite perform the classic "fire sword over the head pose."

I will be blunt and say I do not like the arms. They look cluttered and lack articulation. I do like the simpler legs and the general body was quite creative.

I will be blunt and say I do not like the arms. They look cluttered and lack articulation. I do like the simpler legs and the general body was quite creative.

I was quite limited with parts that could work with the torso, in addition being simplistic enough to not be so cluttered with a sophisticated design, and all the while exhibit the correct colors. They indeed lack considerable articulation, but this was not intended to 'faithfully' create the those characteristics of the original, yet due to the element I used for the shoulders, which was simplistic and bulky enough to proportion it with the body. I admit they do not look graceful in some photos, especially due to the awkward elbow joint, but its not that hideous in reality—maybe I will consider a building tutorial of the figure at some point.

This is what Lego should have done instead of Stars...

Well done MOC, it captures the G1 personality rather well.

Agreed. That would have been exciting to see, but alas Lego was heading for more simplistic figures. I think the idea of Stars would have ran well for some years if they reintroduced lines from like 2001–2006 and release those in stages, in the av matoran design.

That's just my idea though, but I am glad you like my Tahu figure. Since there is little colors for the jet engines used as forearms and thighs, I plan to make one last character in this design, Takanuva. I also plan to make an Exo-Toa to accommodate the figures.

Oooh now this is a MOC! Though I do have to echo some of the sentiments on the arms- the elbows are a bit wonky, IMO. What set did that black Mata head come in?

Oooh now this is a MOC! Though I do have to echo some of the sentiments on the arms- the elbows are a bit wonky, IMO. What set did that black Mata head come in?

Indeed, the arms are hard to love from angles, though I believe the third photo portrays them most gracefully. However, I do mention that they don't appear so weird in reality…

I wanted the design kept simple as possible with minimal parts used, while also endeavoring to remain true to the color scheme, as well the era (that is using retired/old styled elements and colors, especially for pins, axles, and ball joints). I might return and fix them up a bit once there are new elements and/or more elements available in orange…

The black Mata head came with Nui Rama (8537-1), Turaga Dume & Nivawk (8621-1), and Whenua (8545-1) sets, though I did not own any of them.

However, I do mention that they don't appear so weird in reality…

The black Mata head came with Nui Rama (8537-1), Turaga Dume & Nivawk (8621-1), and Whenua (8545-1) sets, though I did not own any of them.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black- I have a Bionicle MOC coming down the pipeline that has wonky-looking elbows at some angles. Go figure. You definitely knocked this MOC out of the park, considering your color, piece, and stylistic constraints.

And thanks for the info on the black heads!

Nice job, I really like the revamp! Does the gear system really work?

Much appreciated! Unfortunately, the gear setup is not functional. Though thinking about it, it does interest me to see if it is possible in such a limited space.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black- I have a Bionicle MOC coming down the pipeline that has wonky-looking elbows at some angles. Go figure.

I blame camera lens for not capturing it so gracefully—its a common phenomena that things look better in person than on a screen! :laugh:

You definitely knocked this MOC out of the park, considering your color, piece, and stylistic constraints.

Thanks! In my craze of all things from the Mata era, I had this ambitious idea to also make an exo-toa for Tahu (something I also never owned :sadnew:). I already have designed a prototype for extending arm with the gasher claws, and successfully the function bares a strong resemblance to the original feature of the set. I have stopped working on it and otherwise focused on my AT-AT, but thinking of it, I also remember that I revamped the Phantom Lewa a while back, so I will possibly get him up here at some point.

26094721023_9976290c30.jpg

26094719183_0f48094339.jpg

26094716943_825a9a211f.jpg

To extend the arm, the tan Av-Matoran and the 7mm Technic beam are squeezed together.

You are welcome!