MrLee

[MOD] Kylo Ren's Shuttle: Another 'V' wing modification

Hi all, I wanted to share my take on the correction for Kylo Ren's shuttle.

The issue with this set has been well documented already - and TLG aren't to blame. As a responsible AFOL, I stripped this set down as soon as I built it 'properly' to get to work on adding in the opening wing functionality.

The build methodology already lends itself to quite a straightforward modification but executing this without putting too much strain on the technic lift arms was my main objective.

Like many others, I have opted for a removable locking pin approach.

I started by using a 2 pronged locking pin that holds the wings in the upright position.

KRS-MOD04.jpg

KRS-MOD05.jpg

Once you slide the pin out, the wings are free to drop to about a 45 degree angle.

The biggest challenge was supporting the weight of the wings and making sure there was enough clearance between the wings and fuselage to properly drop downwards.

KRS-MOD07.jpg

KRS-MOD08.jpg

I addressed the weight issue by using some inverted slopes to support the weight of the wings, which required some additional wedging to make sure there was enough contact between the two surfaces. This was also the case when the wings are in the upright 'landed' position.

The result:

KRS-MOD01.jpg

KRS-MOD02.jpg

KRS-MOD03.jpg

KRS-MOD09.jpg

I dismantled the rear and underside of the ship while I was working, so I decided to include some fixed landing gear to take the strain off the wings when 'landed'.I did not want it resting on it's own weight solely on the base of the wings.

KRS-MOD10.jpg

KRS-MOD11.jpg

I am now really happy with this kit, an it looks absolutely beastly with the wings deployed in the V formation. I have left the folding wing function in as well.

Have had to take some artistic liberties with this, as source material is very limited right now. I may revisit this once the visual dictionaries/vehicle cross section books come out in December, so we can get a proper look at this mean looking vehicle.

Thanks for looking.

I have this set boxed and waiting for me for Christmas (must have some discipline having built poe's x and the tie already). This is the best looking version I have seen so far. do you happen to have a photo of the extra bricks that you used, so I could get them ready. That would be great if you did.

Also, on the feet - these look awesome and really help the set, but I just feel that you could make them a little more complex. I think it would add even more. Great stuff, Ben

Really good job on this mod. It definitely improves the original by a lot. Yet I can't help myself thinking this is really not a good set. The cockpit section looks alright, not really astounding but fine. Yet it's fully outshoned by the 'underside' of these wings (which is in fact no underside and is even more exposed in V position), which executed terribly and for me it totally ruins the overal look. I really don't understand how could they have released something like that and I wonder how people can be so pleased with this set.

This is the best looking version I have seen so far. do you happen to have a photo of the extra bricks that you used, so I could get them ready. That would be great if you did.

Also, on the feet - these look awesome and really help the set, but I just feel that you could make them a little more complex. I think it would add even more.

Thanks for the kind words Ben. I didn't really keep tabs on what parts I used, as I kind of just sat down and got straight to work. I can say that the most important parts are the 2x2 inverted slopes for stability, and the technic pins which you can see in the pictures. I used a few 2x1 plates and a 2x2 brick for some wedging and stability of the wings for both modes. If you see in the first picture, where the light grey 2x1 tile is, there is a 2x2 brick on the wing against it to stop it moving.

Regarding the landing gear, I totally agree. I was initially considering doing something fancier similar to what is on the new Shuttle Tydirium kit, but this thing is really heavy. And since we don't know what he underside of the craft looks like yet, I opted for function over form, to make sure his thing didn't topple or break under its own weight ^^

Really good job on this mod. It definitely improves the original by a lot. Yet I can't help myself thinking this is really not a good set. The cockpit section looks alright, not really astounding but fine. Yet it's fully outshoned by the 'underside' of these wings (which is in fact no underside and is even more exposed in V position), which executed terribly and for me it totally ruins the overal look. I really don't understand how could they have released something like that and I wonder how people can be so pleased with this set.

Thanks krisandkris. I understand why people would not like this set - the 'underside' is quite a mess of plates. This was one of the reasons I swapped out the original black 2x2 round tiles with dark grey ones, to keep some coherency in the colours. We also don't have any idea if the collapsing wings are actually a feature in the film or just a TLG play feature (I guess the latter).

Having said that, this is definitively one of those kits that are much better in hand. I wasn't impressed at all when the images first leaked back in the summer. I thought it looked ridiculous. The opening wings though really do look menacing and they're massive. The figure selection (main reason most will purchase) is also impressive. TLG know that AFOLs will buy a not too hot model for good figures.

This definitely isn't a must have, and whether we will get a revision model any time soon remains to be seen, but it was a reasonably fun build, and worthy of my time for sure. It looks really sweet next to my First Order Transporter.

When the photos first came out, I was struck by how "boring" it is... just a big mess of LBG/DBG bricks.

But when you posted the photo of the shuttle with the opened wings and the mods that you have done, it started to rub off on me and it is now "calling" me to get it! :)

We also don't have any idea if the collapsing wings are actually a feature in the film or just a TLG play feature (I guess the latter).

I'm not sure where but I saw some prop picture showing shuttle with retracted wings. It was, however, suggesting rather 'slide-in' (or 'retract' if you want) function of the top part of the wing - not this strange lever parallelogram motion thing.

It would be even bigger nonsense if there wasn't any function like that (how to ruin design with needless function like a king :D ). But I think the designer should have ignored this function and rather focus on wing tilt mechanism. I have heard however, that lego might have had incomplete information about this vessel so perhaps the designer hadn't been acknowledged with that V mode and when they found out, it was probably to late to make an changes.

There we are touching a general topic - why should we have sets long before the actual movie is out? Wouldn't it be better to wait several months, collect all info and produce much better models? Not even talking the spoilers included :/

There we are touching a general topic - why should we have sets long before the actual movie is out? Wouldn't it be better to wait several months, collect all info and produce much better models? Not even talking the spoilers included :/

To ride the hype train, disney put out a whole wave of TFA toys already, Kylo masks and sabers etc.. why not capitalize on the growing SW hype before TFA? As for Lego, there will probably be some new TFA sets out in January anyway.

I do agree that this shuttle is a risky set though, the wings not doing the V-thing stock is kinda lame.

To ride the hype train

Yea, indeed. Though I think that conscious lego fans should give some negative feedback on such set. So far lego see that whatever set they flesh out, most people are still happy to pay high prices and go like "heeyyy, that's soo coool set. it has spring loaded shooters and even Kylo Ren figure!!!".

I don't mean we should only look for errors, yet considering how expensive lego is, I think people are too easily impressed. And that aplies the more for new TFA sets, price of which can't be excused by number and value of the bricks.

Thanks for the MOD MrLee!

It looks like you've got the V angle a bit too large though, they need to be about 7-10 degrees more upright.

When the wings are in V mode, have you pinned them into the technics bricks or just left them riding on the stopper underneath? If they're pinned, could you describe what changes you had to make to do this?

Cheers ;)

Having said that, this is definitively one of those kits that are much better in hand. I wasn't impressed at all when the images first leaked back in the summer. I thought it looked ridiculous. The opening wings though really do look menacing and they're massive.

I thought this looked rubbish in the leaked photos, but when people had it built and reviewed it, it really started to grow on me. The MODs with the wings in V mode really sealed it for me, so I got one. Having built it, I'm stuck in 2 minds. One the one hand, it really is ugly and has far too many exposed studs - it looks like a pile of LEGO bricks. On the other hand, it's imposing & mean looking - it has presence. But it should be a sleek, almost graceful ship.

In other formats (Hasbro, Micro Machines, Revell etc) it looks really really cool - like a cross between a manta ray and a vampire bat. The red flash of the cockpit screen at the front, the black colour, the large but sleek wings. It looks slippery and mean. Even with the wings stuck in vertical, it's cool.

In LEGO format though, it's not quite right. I think the fuselage is too big and boxy compare to the wings - it's not sleek enough. I actually think the wings are ok - except for the studs. It's the cockpit which is off, and despite the size of it there's naff all space inside for figures.

The thing is though, my kids LOVE it. They can't stop playing with the wings (and I haven't done the V wing mod yet using technic ratchet joints). They endlessly fold those things up and down! Surely that's the most important thing as far as LEGO are concerned - playability?

The interesting thing is it does challenge you to think about it, and it has the power to grow on you as a design, especially if you MOD it. In terms of source material we've seen so far, the ship itself is by far the coolest in Star Wars FA.

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Edited by belkor

Yea, indeed. Though I think that conscious lego fans should give some negative feedback on such set. So far lego see that whatever set they flesh out, most people are still happy to pay high prices and go like "heeyyy, that's soo coool set. it has spring loaded shooters and even Kylo Ren figure!!!".

I don't mean we should only look for errors, yet considering how expensive lego is, I think people are too easily impressed. And that aplies the more for new TFA sets, price of which can't be excused by number and value of the bricks.

Agreed, which is why im not buying it, or any other TFA set until at least after ive seen the movie

And SW lego has gotten quite expensive recently, ive bought a couple of the Rebels sets, but only way below MSRP, €55 for a Tie proto.... nah

Nice mod, but I won't be doing it on mine yet. I'm concerned that maybe the wings are supposed to go down even further, like Tydirium or the Emperor's RotS shuttle. Are we absolutely certain this is not the case? In the picture it looks like it's about to land in the hangar, so it's started folding up its wings, but they can go even further.star%2Bwars%2Blego%2Bleak%2Breference.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys, some interesting discussion points here.

It looks like you've got the V angle a bit too large though, they need to be about 7-10 degrees more upright.

When the wings are in V mode, have you pinned them into the technics bricks or just left them riding on the stopper underneath? If they're pinned, could you describe what changes you had to make to do this?

Cheers ;)

Thanks for the feedback Belkor. I was unsure about the angle, so opted for about 45 degrees, as it would be quite straightforward to add or decrease the tilt from this point. This is for reasons that DarthHank alludes to - we know absolutely nothing about this ship, other than that one shot from the trailer. I might have a poke around at the weekend and see if I can bring them up a shade :)

And unfortunately, the wings are not pinned when deployed. This was something I wanted to do but I wasn't really in the mood to dismantle the wings right after I had built them. I definitely intend to revisit, but I'll need to completely revamp the lift arms in the wings to do this.

To stray a bit off topic and share opinion on some of the other thoughts here: Yes, mass hysteria and hype is daft, especially over a space opera nobody has seen yet. Yes, Lego is no longer affordable to lots of people. However, many of us are in a privelaged enough position to get caught up in these merchandising hype cycles and I just generally take them for what they are - a way to blow off some disposable income in exchange for some satisfaction. At least with Lego, you can break down kits, and build/rebuild whatever you wish. I also collect Hasbro stuff, and that is harder to justify, because they're dollies that will forever be just that. My Lego 75104 could be a whole new MOC in 6 months time. And that's why I love Lego ^^

Nice mod, but I won't be doing it on mine yet. I'm concerned that maybe the wings are supposed to go down even further, like Tydirium or the Emperor's RotS shuttle. Are we absolutely certain this is not the case? In the picture it looks like it's about to land in the hangar, so it's started folding up its wings, but they can go even further.

<snip>

Very good point - for all we know the wings may gold out completely horizontally and be mid-fold in the trailer. I've be planning on getting the new falcon this month, but every time I see more pictures of this shuttle my mind is swayed.

Great mod, might try it myself. You should leave room or figure out how to invert them just in case, like others said.

To stray a bit off topic and share opinion on some of the other thoughts here: Yes, mass hysteria and hype is daft, especially over a space opera nobody has seen yet. Yes, Lego is no longer affordable to lots of people. However, many of us are in a privelaged enough position to get caught up in these merchandising hype cycles and I just generally take them for what they are - a way to blow off some disposable income in exchange for some satisfaction. At least with Lego, you can break down kits, and build/rebuild whatever you wish. I also collect Hasbro stuff, and that is harder to justify, because they're dollies that will forever be just that. My Lego 75104 could be a whole new MOC in 6 months time. And that's why I love Lego ^^

Excellent point of view, and if it werent for my wallet forcing me to be a bit more selective, id be all over this shuttle, i love a good villain ship, and it should be a decent parts-pack as well, lots of dark bley

I really like the look of the film version, but there far better ways to spend money, especially on a set that isn`t near right,- because there obviously was an information gap between Lucas Film/Disney & Lego as to the basic functions of this shuttle.

Edited by r5-j2

Hi MrLee,

Great mod! Do you know offhand what that grey part is that you've put the two locking pins through? A part number would be great if you have it to hand.

I'd like to implement your mod and I'd like to know if I need to order the pieces or if they're part of the Shuttle set.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback folks :)

Nice MOD, but is the connection of the wings been still stable enough after the modification?

Seems okay, can swoosh it around with the wings deployed, and they're not flapping around or anything - although long term I don't know how much stress is being put onto the lift arms. This is the main reason I need to go back and take a look again. This design definitely wouldn't fly in the hands of a youngster, it's not fragile, it's just fiddly.

There obviously was an information gap between Lucas Film/Disney & Lego

This has already been covered by the set designers - it had nothing to do with TLG. They were working off concept images that changed in design by the time they went into the film. What TLG produced, as far as we know, was accurate to the designs they were given. Once a model goes into production, it would be far too late to make changes.

Do you know offhand what that grey part is that you've put the two locking pins through? A part number would be great if you have it to hand.

Cheers Raelthorne. If you are referring to the light grey part the pins are going through, they are just a 2M Technic Lever (41677) and 2x 1/2 Bushes (32123). I used the bushes so it was easier to grip when sliding out, they serve no other function.

Nice mod, but I won't be doing it on mine yet. I'm concerned that maybe the wings are supposed to go down even further, like Tydirium or the Emperor's RotS shuttle. Are we absolutely certain this is not the case? In the picture it looks like it's about to land in the hangar, so it's started folding up its wings, but they can go even further.

If you watch the trailer closely the wings don't seem to move. If they are folding, it's very slow, which doesn't follow the usual pattern in the films (the wings fold quickly just before landing/just after take off). Now I know this shuttle could be completely different, but having slow folding wings seems like a big disadvantage for what looks to be shuttle with assault capabilities. I'd bet on flight mode being an upright V of around 50-55 degrees.

Whenever I get this, I'm consulting your MOD when I build it. Outstanding!

*Update 21st Feb 2016*

Hi all, I haven't posted on EB for some time, but managed to get some Lego time in recently to give 74104 a proper redesign.

I ditched the pin locking work around and decided to implement a proper opening hinge using the 44224/44225 hinge pieces. Also put in a trans red cockpit in. This would probably look cool built in black but I am happy with the build as is. Only further improvements I might make are landing gear, but I haven't had time to design a suitable implementation.

Here is the result:

kylo_shuttle_v2.jpg

kylo_shuttle_v2-2.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Edited by MrLee