Richpepperell

[MOD] X-Wing 9493 mod

Now, I'm not saying this is particularly big or clever, but I thought I'd try it out as I haven't seen it anywhere else - swapping the original x-wing canopy for the new (and definitely improved) version that comes with 75102). It turned out it wasn't a straight swap either. The astromech socket need to be moved back by 1 stud, the back of the ship needed to be lowered, and a few other little changes were needed too. I decided to raise the pilot's seat, and the extra room created by the sloping back of the canopy allowed for the introduction of a targeting computer too. Maybe more controversially, I've also added the stud shooters (from Rey's speeder) as although I won't be firing them, I actually like the way it looks!

Comments appreciated!

21748549250_406e946335_z.jpg

21313901154_3dc0492d36_z.jpg

21315482433_fd661ccea6_z.jpg

21749737629_7f7b1f3a85_z.jpg

21748547290_9824b16693_z.jpg

21313898794_aaf79a4cea_z.jpg

Well done! I was expecting to see these mods like mushrooms after rain as soon as Poe's X-wing went available but to my big surprise, nothing till your post. Thank you for that though - as one may expect this looks waaay better than the original. I love this canopy and I'm surely getting several of them for further x-wing builds.

Regarding those shooters, I don't think it's controversial at all. These pieces represent ion canons (or proton torpedos or whatever these shings are :D ) really well, although I'm not sure about adding the actual stud in them - looks more like a light now.

Looks great! I'm currently doing the same to my X-Wing, as well as a ton of other mods. I made the decision to leave the astromech socket where it was, and just made it so that only the head of the droid would show. This gave me an extra stud for greebles, as I'm gonna do a complete overhaul of those. I'm definitely going to consider making a targeting computer similar to that, seeing how much room is left over.

This looks great and is good to see that it is so doable - although not straight forward.

This leads me to a frustration - it makes sense for TLG to want and encourage us to mod things and play with the lego, and yet we cannot buy the cockpit piece from pick a brick, when we can buy everything else of the ship (i understand minifigs not forming part of this). Please TLG, why not let us buy multiple cockpits?

Is the only way forward Bricklink???

This looks great and is good to see that it is so doable - although not straight forward.

This leads me to a frustration - it makes sense for TLG to want and encourage us to mod things and play with the lego, and yet we cannot buy the cockpit piece from pick a brick, when we can buy everything else of the ship (i understand minifigs not forming part of this). Please TLG, why not let us buy multiple cockpits?

Is the only way forward Bricklink???

I actually got this canopy piece direct from TLG customer services. Although it doesn't seem to be visible in any of the photos, there's actually a scratch across the windscreen that was there when it came out of the bag. I emailed them and they sent a replacement through the next day.

I totally agree with you - why not sell them directly to us... they'd be raking it in!

Edited by Richpepperell

pick a brick, when we can buy everything else of the ship

Are you sure that every other brick for x-wing is available on pick a brick?

Are you sure that every other brick for x-wing is available on pick a brick?

No - absolutely not unfortunately. There's about 80% of most sets, all the more common bricks that range across multiple sets that are available that year or so are easy to get hold of, but some colours are a bit more scarce - but who wouldn't want that new cannopy???

I do love Poe's x-wing a lot though and wondered about the back and side greebling for modding further Richpepperell's version as above. Things like the stud shooters again as above, I think look great, but Poe's needs these better looking wing cannons from the last version. It is funny that new is not always better.

^ 80% of most sets... huh I'd very much doubt that. Whenever I need some parts I check PaB first and in most cases it fails to offer that part. You can hardly expect lego to sell these special pieces (printed windscreens included) - not only that such pieces are more difficult to make, thus more expensive. It's also very likely that lego run limited production batches and lastly these parts increase the value and popularity of some sets.

I would recommend removing the clip brick in front of the stud shooter and keep the "cheeks" how the looked in the official set and try to lower the R2 unit one plate.

Edited by Nom Carver