Sign in to follow this  
AardWolf

Attack on the Iron Furnace

Hey all,

I haven't had as much time as I'd like and so I haven't been as active on here as I want to be. Here's my most recent creation, an attack on a blast furnace by some very angry tribesmen. Blast furnaces like this weren't actually invented until after the Middle Ages, but hey, it's an imaginary world and I'll take my creative license, thank you very much. Enjoy!

21713909299_d20bae94df_c.jpg

21910468741_6c79eafb9b.jpg

21713917839_4da767761f.jpg

21278047874_86f83d9065.jpg

Edited by AardWolf

For something not yet invented, that looks really good! Your river and vegetation are great too

Looks great! The furnace is awesome, but I love the details the most, especially the way you captured the movement by the stream - the one figure diving while the other swims across - fantastic!

Extraordinary!!!

This is fantastic. You obviously did your homework on this one. The shape of the furnace is just perfect, and the wooden tower and walkway used for "charging the stack" are equally accurate for blast furnaces during the days of firing with charcoal - basically from the time period you mentioned until the 18th century. The shed for casting the pig iron looks great and the waterwheel-powered bellows is another really good feature. This is without question the most accurate iron-smelting creation I've ever seen built from Lego bricks.

The rest of the scene - the water, vegetation, minifig posing, etc are all very good.

This is just about exactly what the Powhatan attacks on the Falling Creek Ironworks near the English settlement of Jamestown in the Virginia colony would have looked like, circa 1620 - angry natives wiping out the settlers and destroying the first blast furnace built in North America.

This is one of my favorite Lego creations. Excellent work!!

Edit: PLEASE share some more photos!!

Edited by Captain Dee

This excellent. The construction is top notch. It is the minifig posing however that steals the show! Superb build!

This excellent. The construction is top notch. It is the minifig posing however that steals the show! Superb build!

There are so many details to see on your island and so many questions to ask. How long have you been creating LEGO sets to become such a skillful master builder?!!! Such an unspeakable piece of art with unusual building techniques. I wish I learn from you. It looks very realistic. What's your opinion of my 2 sets Pirates Battle island and Soldier’s Arsenal? Add a few more pictures from different angles. Waiting for your next MOCs.

Another superb build, Aaron. As I said on FLICKR (happy to be your 100th fav there), my favorite detail here is the dripping water on the wheel. The river is beautiful too....

Edited by Gary The Procrastinator

Wonderful!

Thank you!

Absolutely fantastic!

Thanks Graham!

For something not yet invented, that looks really good! Your river and vegetation are great too

Haha I appreciate that!

Looks great! The furnace is awesome, but I love the details the most, especially the way you captured the movement by the stream - the one figure diving while the other swims across - fantastic!

Hey thanks! I really enjoy posing figs so I'm glad you like it!

Extraordinary!!!

This is fantastic. You obviously did your homework on this one. The shape of the furnace is just perfect, and the wooden tower and walkway used for "charging the stack" are equally accurate for blast furnaces during the days of firing with charcoal - basically from the time period you mentioned until the 18th century. The shed for casting the pig iron looks great and the waterwheel-powered bellows is another really good feature. This is without question the most accurate iron-smelting creation I've ever seen built from Lego bricks.

The rest of the scene - the water, vegetation, minifig posing, etc are all very good.

This is just about exactly what the Powhatan attacks on the Falling Creek Ironworks near the English settlement of Jamestown in the Virginia colony would have looked like, circa 1620 - angry natives wiping out the settlers and destroying the first blast furnace built in North America.

This is one of my favorite Lego creations. Excellent work!!

Edit: PLEASE share some more photos!!

More photos have been added! Unfortunately I was only able to build a facade for this, so I don't have my usual 360 degree pics.

Sounds like you're a big history guy - yep, I did a significant amount of research for this and I was really interested to learn about the ingenuity behind the blast furnace. Pretty cool!

I'm really glad you like it and thank you for your comments!

Thank you so much, and I'm glad you like the posing!

There are so many details to see on your island and so many questions to ask. How long have you been creating LEGO sets to become such a skillful master builder?!!! Such an unspeakable piece of art with unusual building techniques. I wish I learn from you. It looks very realistic. What's your opinion of my 2 sets Pirates Battle island and Soldier’s Arsenal? Add a few more pictures from different angles. Waiting for your next MOCs.

Thank you! Like many others, I fell in love with LEGO as a kid, but it was just last year that I started building again. I'll take a look at your creations for sure! More pictures are posted as well.

Fine build indeed.

The "machinery" has worked out well.

Thank you very much!

Another superb build, Aaron. As I said on FLICKR (happy to be your 100th fav there), my favorite detail here is the dripping water on the wheel. The river is beautiful too....

Thanks Gary! I was particularly fond of that feature too- I feel it adds a lot to the sense of motion.

Simply fantastic build! :wub: The dense foliage is superb and I love the water wheel :thumbup:

Thank you LittleJohn! I appreciate that.

Amazing build ! awesome details ! :thumbup:

Thanks Faladrin!

Great job! The details, like the running soldiers and workers (and the wounded one) are excellent. I also like the landscape work and the water effect.

Landscaping, water-work, historically accurate (Anachronisms are fun!) structures. Not only that, it reminds me of somewhere I used to visit.

Brilliant!

The mill and furnace look very nice!

Thank you very much!

The build is gorgeous and the minifig posing is superb!

Awesome stuff

Thank you! I really appreciate that.

Great job! The details, like the running soldiers and workers (and the wounded one) are excellent. I also like the landscape work and the water effect.

I'm glad you're a fan of all the details- thanks!

That is absolutely amazing!

Thank you!

Landscaping, water-work, historically accurate (Anachronisms are fun!) structures. Not only that, it reminds me of somewhere I used to visit.

Brilliant!

Haha anachronisms are quite fun! Glad I could give you a little dose of nostalgia too!

Perfect built and a lot of particulars!!

Thank you very much!