Hi there,

Hope everyone is having fun building cranes for TC8. This MOC was created as I'd just bought the horrifically expensive rechargeable battery box from the LEGO shop, and I wanted to incorporate it into a build. I decided to build something compact, and the below picture is the result.

IMG_021.jpg

This chassis was designed around the new MX5 convertible at 1:12.5 scale. While it's very simple, I'm quite proud of the fact that I managed to fit all the power functions into it, while keeping it to scale. The height of the car (not including seats and windscreen) needed to be a maximum of 8 studs. The turning circle is tight on the car as well. I then tried to build the body, and this is where things became a lot harder and more frustrating.

IMG_001.JPG

IMG_002.JPG

IMG_003.JPG

The build is OK, but nothing great. I wanted to use more panels, but I found them bulky and quite unwieldy for a model this size. The car is also a bit blocky and dense, maybe using flex axles through the body would be better? I don't know. The model has nothing fancy, only the doors open and close and power functions (L motor, servo, Battery & IR receiver) which steer and move the car.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

More images at http://bricksafe.com/pages/Chade/112.5-rc-convertible

IMG_017.JPG

Looks cool, good job keeping all the guts underneath a low body like that.

I wonder though, if you manage to relocate the receiver whether you could mount the drive motor longitudinally and work a diff in there, and maybe increase the drive ratio if the L motor has the torque to handle it.

Don't worry about the body! I find it very good, keeping in mind you managed to build open body MOC with all PF stuff hidden.

I like that idea with the chain drive straight from the motor, great way to save space.

Thanks for the comments everyone

Looks cool, good job keeping all the guts underneath a low body like that.

I wonder though, if you manage to relocate the receiver whether you could mount the drive motor longitudinally and work a diff in there, and maybe increase the drive ratio if the L motor has the torque to handle it.

I originally had the diff + motor setup like this but there wasn't enough room for the seats / interior. I was also going to put the ir receiver more forward but it looked terrible. The chain drive was the best setup I could think of to fit the motor in the back.

I like that idea with the chain drive straight from the motor, great way to save space.

Very nice looking car for that scale. And i like using chains, chains are great)

I found a MOC using chains on rebrickable and I realised this was the best solution. I'm still new with all of this so I've got a lot to learn.

Edited by Chade

Hey that's very nice! And it performs really well, I like both speed and narrow turning radius. I very much prefer this to all these huge models powered by dozens of motors that can barely drive in the end :) Excellent model!

You might not think the build is great, but I sure do! It looks awesome considering the scale, and really compact too, good job! And really small turning circle, Im impressed!

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. My goal is to get better at these smaller types of models.

This is a really impressively sized model and it looks fine. Perhaps it could be geared up a bit to make it a bit quicker

Wow, thanks for all the nice comments! I was only expecting a few people to respond.

This is a really impressively sized model and it looks fine. Perhaps it could be geared up a bit to make it a bit quicker

The model was struggling a bit with acceleration (it doesn't run well on carpet), so I'm not sure how well it would run with less torque. I've pulled the car apart but I might test it out at a later date.

Edited by Chade

Wow, thanks for all the nice comments! I was only expecting a few people to respond.

The model was struggling a bit with acceleration (it doesn't run well on carpet), so I'm not sure how well it would run with less torque. I've pulled the car apart but I might test it out at a later date.

Carpet is kind of the equivalent of running in very thick grass or very lose sand though, not something a real life MX5 would be excellent at either. If you are OK with moving the receiver to the passenger seat, you might be able to fit a second L motor in the back for extra torque

Carpet is kind of the equivalent of running in very thick grass or very lose sand though, not something a real life MX5 would be excellent at either. If you are OK with moving the receiver to the passenger seat, you might be able to fit a second L motor in the back for extra torque

Thanks for the post. This car is so low I don't think it would move on grass :classic: , but I get your point. The 2nd L motor isn't a bad idea. Overall though I'm pretty happy with the performance with one motor.

Thanks for the post. This car is so low I don't think it would move on grass :classic: , but I get your point. The 2nd L motor isn't a bad idea. Overall though I'm pretty happy with the performance with one motor.

Yeah, i meant a lego car on carpet is the equivalent of a real car on think high grass or lose sand, could've written that a bit clearer :)

I think performance looks good as well, im just your regular gear-head, always trying to go faster, but i think once i get around to getting ym own PF RC stuff, ill quickly find out that having a small car move fast makes it hard to find a good space for toying with it.

Yeah, i meant a lego car on carpet is the equivalent of a real car on think high grass or lose sand, could've written that a bit clearer :)

I think performance looks good as well, im just your regular gear-head, always trying to go faster, but i think once i get around to getting ym own PF RC stuff, ill quickly find out that having a small car move fast makes it hard to find a good space for toying with it.

Ah so that's what you meant, now the post makes more sense :laugh: . If you get into the RC, I definitely recommend the rechargable battery box. Even though it's very expensive, it's incredibly light and fantastic for small MOCs.

Ah so that's what you meant, now the post makes more sense :laugh: . If you get into the RC, I definitely recommend the rechargable battery box. Even though it's very expensive, it's incredibly light and fantastic for small MOCs.

Thanks for the tip, im a bit on the fence about all the RC stuff, even a basic set (servo, L motor, controller/receiver and AA battery box) would cost me €80, which seems like a lot of money for just a bunch of parts, adding the rechargable box... oof. Although i can easily see it being worth it in terms of size, i think a chassis the size of your moc is excellent for RC, and fitting the AA box in such a space...

Thanks for the tip, im a bit on the fence about all the RC stuff, even a basic set (servo, L motor, controller/receiver and AA battery box) would cost me €80, which seems like a lot of money for just a bunch of parts, adding the rechargable box... oof. Although i can easily see it being worth it in terms of size, i think a chassis the size of your moc is excellent for RC, and fitting the AA box in such a space...

I know, it's very hard to justify the cost. However I don't regret the purchase of PFs. RC is fun to play with :classic: .

I know, it's very hard to justify the cost. However I don't regret the purchase of PFs. RC is fun to play with :classic: .

Yeah, i really want to, but damn... The servo in particular is a hard pill to swallow, it costs the same as 250-300 part sets, but replicating its function with an M-motor is not easy, nor good for the electronics.

I will have some extra budget for lego purchases soon, but i might hold off until we know what the "ultimate IP supercar" set ends up being, if it ends up being as ultimate as rumoured, itll be a budget buster, but also a must-have :)