Sign in to follow this  
HoMa

Color definition for MLCad, LDView and LPub

Hi all,

I want to create printable instructions of some MOCs. The printing agency told me that black bricks are hard to identify on the proofs they made. Especially if a lot of black bricks are used, e.g. in a steam engine. The little white/gray edges are not very well visible.

It there any option to modifiy the color black so it will be processed after MLCading instead of black in – let's say – black 95% (a very dark gray). Is there any .ini file which defines the colors?

The only other alternative I know is use a different color in MLCad while builing the virtual modell. But then it becomes hard to differ between dark gray as substitute for black and real dark gray.

Thanks in advance for your help!

HoMa

Color in MLCad and LDView is defined in file LDConfig.ldr located in your LDraw folder. Colors are defined this way:

0 !COLOUR Black			 CODE 0 VALUE #05131D EDGE #595959

where VALUE defines brick color and EDGE line color, both in hexadecimal RRGGBB format.

For example, changing (with a text editor) this line to

0 !COLOUR Black			 CODE 0 VALUE #303030 EDGE #a0a0a0

will provide very dark grey brick and very light grey edge lines.

That's a tricky question anyway... Even LEGO often manage to make BIs where it's difficult to decide between black and dark grey!

You may also thicken LDView lines (Edit ->Preferences->Geometry->Thickness), especially if you use high image resolution: thickness is defined in pixel units, making them relatively thinner in large images.

Hi Philo,

many thanks for your quick and helpful answer. I will try your suggested new values for black and black edges.

Kind regards

HoMa