Sign in to follow this  
r5-j2

I was bored..no sign of my next T.I.E. arriving.....

Thanks , the "tarmac" is a scrap piece of sand-paper ( sprayed matt black) that sort of fitted the lid!.

to avoid scratches, I put a very thin sliver of electrical tape at the bottom of each of the TIE`s wings/foils.You could also use the left-over bits of the sticker sheet that came with the TIE (but that stuff is really, really sticky!)The sand-paper gives a bit of grip, so the wings don`t fold up on themselves :sweet:

Edited by r5-j2

to avoid scratches, I put a very thin sliver of electrical tape at the bottom of each of the TIE`s wings/foils.

Hmm, that souds like an overkill rather than good reason to use sandpaper. Especially since these wings are supposed to be folded while docking. If you don't like that feature (true that it's not movie accurate), wouldn't it be easier to somehow lock these hinges not to go any further in? Or to replace them with these 'click' hinges that would hold the shape?

Placing any lego on sandpaper, regardless the protection you (mercifully :D ) used, is something I wouldn't recommend or share.

Ah!, but in the last series one episode of "Rebels"; the Improved TIE is seen sitting in a hanger bay with wings fully folded out, as for sand-paper, I use it out of habit cos if you use a couple of decent layers of paint on the finer grain stuff ,that takes away much of the scratchiness and it still makes an ideal scale "tarmac" base for displaying diecast 1:43 scale cars (another addiction of mine).

At the end of the day, it`s what I use , but you could use cardboard instead and spray it black or dark grey .

Edited by r5-j2

^ Yea, as I said that folding is probably not a movie accurate feature - I have never seen the wings folded in any SW movie (not watching rebels though). By the way the use of spray painted sandpaper for these cars is great. It really looks like asphalt. It's the use with lego what bugs me haha. But maybe I'm just to tender when it comes to dealing with this plastic :)

^ Yea, as I said that folding is probably not a movie accurate feature - I have never seen the wings folded in any SW movie (not watching rebels though). By the way the use of spray painted sandpaper for these cars is great. It really looks like asphalt. It's the use with lego what bugs me haha. But maybe I'm just to tender when it comes to dealing with this plastic :)

Yeah, it's the TIE Advanced from 'Rebels' not any of the films. The wings on this version do fold when landed, I think anyway.

Mr Man , the TIE advanced appears in the Rebels episode "Empire Day" w/wings folded out in flight mode on two hover pads, but in another episode(can`t remember which!), a TIE advanced is definitely parked up with wings folded under for the inquisitor to use .In "Flames across the Galaxy", it is sitting in a hanger wings out in full flight mode,also in this episode , Darth Vader (voice by James Earl Jones!) appears just after Ezra and Kaden escape in the now dead inquisitor`s TIE.

Regards

Kenny.

Ties_zpsw1361agd.png

p.s I`m still doing things as though I was building scale models, but this forum is showing me the LEGO way!

p.p.s. the radar parts all have a couple of coats of paint, so the studs are now a few microns thicker.so they are a good tight fit.

Edited by r5-j2

Looks good.

I never saw that curved piece fence before. Is it new?

Lego friends I am guessing?

Fabulous display piece!

Fake clone bricks again, I'm guessing?

No, I think it's a offical part, because TLC also make parts like this before.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

No, I think it's a offical part, because TLC also make parts like this before.

No, Lego never made such curved fence part (I believe it is a Sluban part: http://www.slubanshop.com/products/pirate/sluban-piratenschip-m38-b0127.html). Also the arch that the fence sits on is not a Lego part. I suspect the whole dark gray structure may not be Lego, what is generally OK for me, but not quite when there is a LEGO trademark logo placed next to it...

Edited by Vodnik

^Vodnik is right. Lego has similar curved fence but not with cross bracing (Part: 4x4x2 Quarter Round Spindle Fence). I also agree on the rest of the building - there is no LEGO stample on the studs on closer look and the colors are a bit off on all the elemets.

R5-j2 - Any chance you didn't know these parts aren't genuine LEGO? I mean, it seems obvious to long term fans but many people might not be recognizing these, at least at the beginning.

These are from a box of mixed Lego and non-Lego bits my great grandson has had lying about, so I adapted/painted what I found and built a base for my Lego TIE.I thought this forum was about fun and creativity, not snobbery, not everybody can afford to buy genuine parts on a whim..........

Edited by r5-j2

These are from a box of mixed Lego and non-Lego bits my great grandson has had lying about, so I adapted/painted what I found and built a base for my Lego TIE.I thought this forum was about fun and creativity, not snobbery, not everybody can afford to buy genuine parts on a whim..........

As I wrote before, I have no problem whatsoever with the fact that you used non-Lego bricks, and the structure fits the "diorama" quite well. I only don't quite like that you put the Lego logo next to them.

@R5: You'r right and please don't get my note wrong - I didn't mean to reprobate your use of these parts at all. Yet the lego community diverse and there is quite big part of 'purist' who don't like using non lego parts in lego MOCs as well as part modification, painting etc. And I have to admitt that I slightly incline to this group :) On the other hand I understand that for you -model maker- all these techniques are quite natural. Though you should be prepared for not only positive reaction on your mocs that include non-official parts. And as Vodnik said, brand logo right next to 'fake' parts may not be accepted well :)

Anyway, I hope this won't demotivate you from posting on this forum and sharing your creations - maybe you find yourself (by the time) that using original lego is somehow better and more pleasing (quality, feel...)

Thanks Kris , but I have already contacted the moderator about the "tone" of the replies ,but that said I do understand that you "get" my modelling back-ground and I appreciate your replies. From now on I won`t be posting anything that isn`t 100% Lego. A base will be built for the First Order TIE I got a couple of days ago for my birthday from my wife and great grandson.It will be 100% Lego ,but I still reserve the right to get the paint out!

Haha :) Well I think that eventhough there is some tension in the discussion above, there is nothing really alarming. Posting on public forum, you have to expect all kind of reactions and as long as there is no real fight or serious offense, it stays valid, yet sometimes not very nice.

Anyway, congratz on your Bday gift - cool set. The price pushes me away from purchase, otherwise I'd probably grab one too.

Nobody can force you to justify your techniques and you can do literarly anything with your lego property (unless it's criminal somehow haha). I have seen guys throwing $400 models out of the window or even burning lego with torch (!!!) - painting is by by no means near these crazy things, many lego builders use it and even I (opponent in general) respect that in some cases it affects the final model in apositive way. Yet there will always be a lively discussion about how propper is it and therefore you shouldn't be surprised by getting some negative feedback time to time.

Yeah it sure takes a lot of work to collect a lot of bricks. For example I got my first Lego sets around 2001 when I was 7 years old, it has taken me 14 years to build a large collection (most of which were gifts from my parents). Even then, I don't have a lot of spare bricks since I don't disassemble a lot of sets. Plus with gifts from family members, I confess a few Megablocks have slipped into my parts bin. I would like more Lego bricks, but my current budget doesn't allow for crazy insane purchases from Bricklink or Pick A Brick.

As for the painting, it is a bit of a touchy subject in Lego fandom. I personally haven't painted any bricks...yet. One of my other hobbies is HO scale trains though, were I giddly slap a ton of paint onto any boxcar I can get a hold of. In this sense the Lego fan community can be a bit strange, seeing all other branches of scale modeling depend on customizing, repainting, weathering, and kitbashing.

With that said, the Lego fans who get really really good at painting, customizing, and parts bashing have earned a lot of respect in the fan community: for example Brotherhood Workshop on YouTube uses a few custom parts from time to time: and they are considered one of the best Lego based animated channels on YouTube.

So in short, if painting bricks is your thing, then do it. If you have a few clone brand bricks and not a lot of official Lego, use them. Do what works for you, this is a creative medium after all!

Edited by xboxtravis7992

I'm okay with it, I only didn't recognize it and thought it was a new piece I missed.