I've started this project more than two years ago, with the aim to make a train model in the right scale with LEGO; this means taking into account the fixed geometry of the LEGO products. Eventually the charm of the largest european Mallet in regular service (the russian P38 were experimental locomotives) has taken me on, also because the Emerald XL wheels are, for coincidence, exactly in scale 1:38 with the real ones (the LEGO train scale based on the track gauge, the usual train model scale).

For who doesn't know this charming locomotive, by the way the tank engine with the greatest tractive effort ever produced (not the most powerful), I suggest the beautiful page of Nino Carbone on marklinfan Italia (Italian only): http://www.marklinfa...t/br_96_drg.htm

In english you can try the exhaustive page:

http://www-personal....erived/BR96.htm

The LEGO tracks geometry prevents any possibility to make a real Mallet design (with the first boogie fixed); the BR 96 was able to negotiate a minimum curve radius of 180m, which means 592 studs at LEGO scale (a bit more than ten times the locomotive length!), it is clear that such a curve is not practically feasible indoor (4736mm!), perhaps in a garden layout (my dream). The shape of the wheels is not helping too, with the very high flange.

The reference model is the first one (n.5751), yellow painted, which was presented at the Munich fair in November 1913, interestingly I started to think about this project exactly for his centenary jubilee.

br96e.jpg

To do an exact scale model I accepted the idea to cut and paint LEGO pieces, when necessary, and to build by myself those not existing. However with the BBB, ME-Models and recent 3d printed rods offered on the market, there are several non LEGO pieces for NON purists. Painting LEGO pieces means taking into account the extra coating thickness (except for Vinyl Dyes). The project was carried on with Ldraw but the software is not sufficient, the practical realisation has changed several things. The electronic side, based on LEGO products, has needed some customisations for which I referred (also for plastic handicraft) to the work of Uli Meyer on Railbricks n.6 and:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=ulimy

br96_trequarti.jpg

br96_lato.jpg

br96_fronte.jpg

br96_dett_retro2.jpg

br96_trequarti_dietro.jpg

br96_cabina.jpg

br96_dett_dist_dietro.jpg

br96_dett_dist_davanti.jpg

br96_dett_marcia_fischio.jpg

br96_dett_fum_lamp_vap.jpg

br96_dett_sab_fum_dist.jpg

br96_dett_frontale.jpg

br96_dett_retro.jpg

br96_dett_caldaia_dav.jpg

br96_dett_sab_barre_dist.jpg

br96_dett_valv_barre.jpg

br96_dett_gancio_ant.jpg

br96_curva_gancop_post.jpg

br96_dett_int_elett.jpg

br96_dett_mot_post.jpg

br96_dett_pile_parall.jpg

br96_dett_sotto_post.jpg

br96_dett_sotto_ant.jpg

br96_alto.jpg

br96_curva_alto.jpg

br96_curva_fronte.jpg

br96_curva_fronte2.jpg

br96_curva_gancio_ant.jpg

br96_curva_retro.jpg

br96_curva_scarico_vap.jpg

Some technical images:

br96_carrelli.jpg

br96_corpo_sotto.jpg

br96_ruote-colori.jpg

I hope you'll enjoy, a video will follow

Sergio

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=559302

Edited by monai

Ooh my goodness. You made my favorite steam locomotive!! It looks wonderfu! And how does it drive? Show us a vid!

**Speechless** At first I wasn't sure if it was a diecast model or Lego. I'm not sure one medium motor is enough for a model that size?

I like it but am pondering at what point does it become regular scale modelling and not really a LEGO model?

In effect I was wondering if is possible to make an exact scale model with LEGO; the train community is on a bridge, I think, between the model railway world and the LEGO toy. Perhaps the direction I've explored doesn't carry anywhere but it has been fun to try.

What a beautiful color and amazing custom parts! :wub: :wub:

The result is totally cool!

At a first glance this steam locomotive doesn't seem a lego MOC!!! :thumbup:

Many thanks, it's an honour said by you. Well as I said elsewhere this was a sort of an experiment, also LEGO has tried SNOT techniques: the unforgettable 721 was immediately LEGO, the Emerald is more like a Rivarossi model. I think the possibilities offered by the "sophisticated system of joint bricks" (The Lego Movie) deserve to be explored in any case.

A huge model, but not a Lego model.

I see a lot of painted parts and others that aren't Lego. I would prefer to see less details but only original Lego because cut & paint items destroy the challenge to build a model with only actual items.

Moreover the painted parts are painted not well.

Post this model on a modeling forum, not a Lego forum.

Cheers

Edited by lucajuventino

**Speechless** At first I wasn't sure if it was a diecast model or Lego. I'm not sure one medium motor is enough for a model that size?

You are right, it is at its limit, but the space was that, no room for XL, perhaps a Large one. The playability was not the first goal, perhaps to make exact scale model the final way would be a static MOC (also because a real Mallet has the first trolley fixed).

A huge model, but not a Lego model.

I see a lot of painted parts and others that aren't Lego. I would prefer to see less details but only original Lego because cut & paint items destroy the challenge to build a model with only actual items.

Post this model on a modeling forum, not a Lego forum.

Cheers

I post where I want till they accept me, I'm not a LEGO taliban.

Ok, not for the faint hearted. It looks amazing though. And some wonderful techniques there to make it a beauty.

But I must say I am not really fond of all that glue and paint.

I'm not a LEGO taliban.

I am not too.

As far as I remember, in order to build Lego you don't need any glue, paint or cutter.

Moreover the details are very rough made: an exercised eye can see very well where you've painted or glued. In a scale model you shouldn't be able to see those things.

The question is: it is really necessary to have all those details? A Lego model should pick up the most important details, not all particulars of the real object.

there are no question in playing with a toy.. You are speaking about what a Lego model should be? ask to the firts Lego target, a child, and we'll see the answer. Perhaps I'm not skill enough for your taste but there are railway models that are roughly made to simulate the real use and weathering. I wonder if you prefer those un-natural Lego mountains brilliant and with studs that you can find in every event. Ok they like them and there is a lot of skill in doing that, I will never say that they have to change also if i dislike them. Let me suggest you to read the Railbrick magazine n.6 (pag.20) "the greatness of geatrix".

Edited by monai

I'm curious, are you running your 9v batteries parallel?

right, since there was no room for 6 AA or even AAA batteries, I used a 9v one, but the capacity was too low for such a locomotive (in reality is the PF receiver that ask more current) so I have connected 2 batteries in parallel and now it's working pretty good. The velocity is also in scale, I mean: the original Gt 2x4/4 had a max. speed of 50km/h, which are some more than 36cm/sec in Lego scale.

right, since there was no room for 6 AA or even AAA batteries, I used a 9v one, but the capacity was too low for such a locomotive (in reality is the PF receiver that ask more current) so I have connected 2 batteries in parallel and now it's working pretty good. The velocity is also in scale, I mean: the original Gt 2x4/4 had a max. speed of 50km/h, which are some more than 36cm/sec in Lego scale.

That's awesome that you're keeping everything to scale, I've never really thought about keeping the speed to scale but it makes sense.

I have added two videos about this creation, they will be available on Brickshelf. I beg your pardon for their bad quality but I'm not well supplied for these things.

There is a problem with your brickself. It says 'this folder is not yet public'. I don't use brickshelf so don't ask me how to fix it...

There is a problem with your brickself. It says 'this folder is not yet public'. I don't use brickshelf so don't ask me how to fix it...

Brickshelf don't open to public untill they have checked the content. Since I've posted the videos yesterday evening (central Europe time) it will be available today (hopefully).

Edited by monai

It's Impressive see this beauty running smooth on blu era rails!

The moving rods are amazing! :wub:

Lovely old lego layout!

thank you very much, said by you is particularly appreciated

Great job. I love color of your Mallet.  Question: your IR receiver is V1 or V2?

Edited by igordost

Great job! In my opinion "shortcuts" that you used are acceptable considering time, attention and efforts to develop this beauty :) I love colors of your Mallet.

Question: your IR receiver is V1 or V2?

thanks for compliments, unfortunately is V1, I know that V2 has vastly improved but it costs a lot more..