Sign in to follow this  
Slobey

The King's Summer Residence

Hi Guys,

Here’s a display I’ve built for an upcoming Lego show. It’s been about 3 years since I began the large drum tower with a view to making a large concentric castle http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80556&hl=%2Bconcentric+%2Bcastle

This display was limited to a 1.2 metre x 1.8 metre table otherwise I may have extended the landscape further.

These photos are just from a practice set up (the entire castle and landscape can be taken apart into modular sections). I will take some better photos in 2 weeks time when it is set up for the show.

The ship is also an older build which can be seen in this topic: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=98384&hl=harpy

There are some techniques I have borrowed from some of you guys, consciously or unconsciously so if you see something familiar you have my thanks :sweet:

Excuse the mess in the background :blush:

21767194241_2de3d8d4fb_c.jpgDSC_8463 by slobey79, on Flickr

21756606255_3000d53e73_c.jpgDSC_8485 by slobey79, on Flickr

21745078322_beac47ae03_c.jpgDSC_8483 by slobey79, on Flickr

21757111195_6793bc4bdb_c.jpgDSC_8477 by slobey79, on Flickr

21136156753_eee6aea92c_c.jpgDSC_8476 by slobey79, on Flickr

21569445620_d84887cdc7_c.jpgDSC_8472 by slobey79, on Flickr

21731535296_d7bfa6c670_c.jpgDSC_8466 by slobey79, on Flickr

21745726732_0776c4000e_c.jpgDSC_8473 by slobey79, on Flickr

21136291163_797c3969b5_c.jpgDSC_8474 by slobey79, on Flickr

21731588476_358f6e573a_c.jpgDSC_8465 by slobey79, on Flickr

21569610060_92771c03e2_c.jpgDSC_8469 by slobey79, on Flickr

There's a lot of great stuff going on here. Lots of attention to detail.

I have to admit though, I'm not a fan of the transparent clear and light blue round pieces just scattered on the tablecloth to appear as water. I know this is a technique that's used quite often in MOC's...but those feel kinda strange just being tossed on the table without being contained in any way.

Be proud of this. My only suggestion would be a more complex water technique to match the detail and effort in the build itself.

Thanks for the feedback. The idea when I set up the actual display is to put some strips of wood under the sheets to "dam" the 1x1 trans pieces. It's mainly to hide the leftover grey base plate that wasn't utilised while building.

I disagree with Blufiji, I think the loose studs water technique is the best looking out there, even if well placed cheese slopes and tiles to create waves can look really fantastic I still prefer this probably due to the non-solid look/feel, but I do agree with thethang22 that having the studs contained would be a bit better and give a more finished appearance. but I digress, what I came to say was of course that the build looks great :wink:

Edited by Isundir

Overall, great scene. I like the shape of the castle. I like all of the details around the castle grounds. Definitely something to be proud of.

With that said, and I understand why the technique is used, but the 1x1 round brick and regular brick combination to make rounded towers is very eye catching (in a bad way) when the rest of the castle is smooth. Especially since your other rounded tower is smooth too. Just my opinion. I'd like to see a castle with that technique, but have all of the walls a mix of the round and regular bricks. Maybe I will do that for my castle in the future.

Otherwise I really like it.

I really like this build, the big round tower looks really cool...

I can see what TheLegoDr means about the smaller towers, although it wasn't something I noticed until it was pointing it out.. I think it only really stands out on the gate towers, and the different build styles look fine on the corners of the castles... so maybe just widening the gate would (and therefore the gap between the two round towers) would improve the appearance. But I really don't think you need to because its cool.

To begin with I skimmed over the details, just looking at the impressiveness of the shear size... but then when I start to really look:

I like the Robin Hood esk highway men holding up the cart;

the Woman pouring water (blue wizard hat) in the barrel - very cool, captured the movement perfectly!

The blacksmith's bellows, using a cape? A nice touch.

And the catch of the day... shark, a real big fish! :-)

I'd really enjoy seeing it in the brick, looks like the kind of scene you could keep spotting new things with.

Very impressive, I always love me a good and detailed Castle moc.

Wonderfully executed castle! I really like all of the small details mentioned earlier. This is very well done.

Good job!

Excellent build and lovely castle Slobey, the rounded turrets are awesome, and the large catapult on top is superb as well! Great work with the ship, village, and activity, and, though I would prefer a little more ground texturing in some parts, I completely understand the problems of a larger build! One of my favorite details in the village is the plowed up ground, but really great job overall! I'm sure we'd be quite happy to have you in the GoH forum!