Sign in to follow this  
MECHALEX

Micro Space (Microfighter MOCs)

21128004874_6e3107c65f_b.jpg

Hi all,

I was inspired by the mini Galaxy Explorer in the DK Great Lego Sets book but felt it was missing its astronaut - that led me to start exploring Microfighter-style sets for classic space - probably the era, alongside Pirates, for which I have the most affection.

I'm certainly not the first to do this, but one thing I did want was to include the playability of these sets, so I tried to incorporate, wherever possible, the modular play functions of the originals. The Solar Power Transporter was particularly tricky (wasn't it called Saturn Ranger in UK catalogues?) and I while I did find a way to clip the wheels under the wings as per the original, it wasn't very aesthetically pleasing.

I tried to keep to a 1:2 scale of the originals, and not go quite as chibi as the official Microfighters - but it was largely impressionistic.

Anyway - I hope you like them!

21739106982_723ed33ce1_b.jpg

21724614716_8eb7530d5f_b.jpg

21128003514_7f41cfca9f_b.jpg

21750709595_13f5d18bbf_b.jpg

21760099561_ae01ba7047_b.jpg

21129697883_8f9211ee32_b.jpg

21750709835_ed96b6a5e8_b.jpg

21739106862_e1019604a3_b.jpg

21749810892_9bea497c7f_b.jpg

Edited to add a little fun pic at the end inspired by the heyday of Lego Space box art

Edited by MECHALEX

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I loved these sets - didn't get all of them and wanted to recapture the joy without the expense! I must admit, I cheated on 6940 as it uses new grey but 6952 uses (mostly) old grey. I felt slightly transgressive using old grey. It sits in my boxes looking faded next to the shiny, bluish grey most of the time but for this, it was perfect. I'll never be snooty about old grey again!

You should submit the first classic ones to Lego Ideas, I'd vote for that. (I seem to remember a rule against remaking old sets though, but last time I checked I couldn't find it back).

(That reminds me that I had tried to the opposite, a giant version of the 6823 set - but it wasn't any cute)

Edited by anothergol

Well done. I don't have any of the original Classic Space era sets. I didn't get into it until end of Space Police 1 onto Blacktron II/M:Tron era.

But these are perfect. I'd definitely consider picking these up too!

The styling fits with the scale.

Keep up the good work.

Seriously man, put these on Ideas.

I agree. These could come in packs of two or three (similar to the multiple small builds of the Research Institute), and the smaller size/price point might be a good point in their favor. I don't know just how well the Star Wars microfighters have sold, but I have yet to meet a person who didn't squeal with delight (at least a little) when seeing them. Great job on these, they look fantastic.

Edited by jFox

Well done. I don't have any of the original Classic Space era sets. I didn't get into it until end of Space Police 1 onto Blacktron II/M:Tron era.

But these are perfect. I'd definitely consider picking these up too!

The styling fits with the scale.

Keep up the good work.

I agree. These could come in packs of two or three (similar to the multiple small builds of the Research Institute), and the smaller size/price point might be a good point in their favor. I don't know just how well the Star Wars microfighters have sold, but I have yet to meet a person who didn't squeal with delight (at least a little) when seeing them. Great job on these, they look fantastic.

Thanks for your kind words! I definitely intended these to be small but joyous pieces of nostalgia so it would be good to share. I hadn't considered submitting to ideas but I will if there's interest. I checked the rules and I think this is the paragraph referred to:

Don't submit projects requesting we re-release or “bring back” discontinued LEGO products or themes in their original form, and don’t submit projects that are “modifications,” “improvements,” or “expansion sets” to existing or past LEGO sets. If you’re submitting a project based on a discontinued LEGO theme or brand (for example Blacktron or Octan), it must be your own new, creative work.

I think the key phrase is 'in their original form' which would seem to permit these to be submitted.

Edited by MECHALEX

These are REALLY cool. I especially like your take on 6932, I have very mixed feelings about that set.

Agreed with what others said. This looks very appropriate for Ideas.

Thanks everyone! I've taken your advice and submitted to Lego Ideas. Just awaiting a ruling from them on whether it's eligible. I've realised that the part count is hovering around 1100 (mainly small parts) which would make it quite expensive - over 70 pounds/Euros/Dollars probably. I'm not sure if they'd look quite as appealing with that price tag!

OK, this is all a bit new to me but this has gone live on Lego ideas. Thanks so much for giving me the confidence to submit it - especially Anothergol, TheLegoDr, Danth but everyone who's commented so far. Let's see how it goes!

The link is here if you have a few seconds and want to support the project: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/118501

Exactly

+ just SUPPORTED you on Ideas - wishing you best luck cos this is really worth releasing yet it has quite big chance to pass as it is not big or huge and LEGO Ideas accepted models are known for their rather small brick count. :wink::thumbup:

Edited by bublible