Milan

[TC8] [WIP] Liebherr LTC 1045-3.1

This project is going to be fantastic, I'm following this every time there is a new post, and I can't wait for the finished product :classic:

Those wheels look superb, and strong. I see the debate above about scale challenges, and can confirm that the big stuff is harder. And you're going bigger than me... Impressed :thumbup:

Thanks! They are really strong! Impressing you is always a great thing, thanks!

This project is going to be fantastic, I'm following this every time there is a new post, and I can't wait for the finished product :classic:

Hope it wont disappoint you :)

There is always a bigger fish... :thumbup: Great concept, looking forward to see completed model!

Thanks! :)

UPDATE:

I get back to my apartment after straight 5 hours of 5x(building, rebuilding, testing)...and DRIVING and STEERING this monster :)

I have the rolling chassis!

21890169449_c09ae60d25_c.jpg

Sorry again for terrible photo, my camera is way in my apartment, and i rarely took it down with me in the basement.

So. i have attached live axles, attachments to the chassis, shocks, steering, drive, bracing, pneumatic slots...and it fits in a stud. I am glad i spent nearly 3 weeks carefully testing and compacting everything so it can fit in tiny space. Please not how test mudguards fit next to the tires. It cant be seen on the photo, but tires has only 3mm clearance from the mudguards. Proportionally, like on real crane.

Driving work flawlessly, wheels were magnificent in all test, they hold even with weight more than the crane should be, and easily drift when i hit the wall.

Steering...oh the joy, all four modes work great. My favorite, crab steering is funny to watch.

Suspension. Hard to test yet, but the chassis has 6 Hard yellow shocks and it did not compress them a bit. Still lots of weight need to be mounted. Pneumatics will be installed tomorrow, but I will leave this for the very end. If all fails under the weight, I will put big pneumatic cylinders, but i guess it wont be needed. 2x hard shocks and 4x small pneumatic per axle should be fine. I can always add more hard shocks until i balance it perfectly to be able to raise and lower on pneumatic.

Tomorrow or on Monday I will post a small video showing it driving and steering on a pile of bricks.

Turntable is done, outer shell of the boom is 80% done, i hope I can start on the superstructure on next weekend. And i hope I will have enough time until deadline...

Edited by Milan

Looking at this picture i thought of a concern, have you tested the weight limit on those wheels you made? Im concerned that they will break under all the weight that this crane will have.

But it is very starting to come together, nice job!

Coming along well, having built the chassis and made the drive and steering work before I stopped I can attest that crab steering is a wonderful steering mode. I can get counter-steer, crab steer, rear steer, front steer and reduced swing-out through using one servo motor for the front two axles and one servo for the rear two axles. I'll post a photo of it when I find the camera :wink:

Thanks aminnich and Kiwi Builder!

have you tested the weight limit on those wheels you made? Im concerned that they will break under all the weight that this crane will have.

Yes, they passed the weight tests. They are very strong and have rigid connection to the axles.

Here is some unedited video of chassis, I tried pneumatic suspension, but the crane is still very light, so i will install them once (and if) i finish it completely.

Steering is a bit too fast, but I am planning on using speed remote controller (train remote) for smooth and precise steering. Main point is that it has perfect return to center.

In this version for the contest, they are driven by 2 L motors, probably via normal remote. In after-the-contest ultimate version, plan is to have 2XL and 4 speed remote controlled gearbox or 3 speed automatic.

Thanks aminnich and Kiwi Builder!

Yes, they passed the weight tests. They are very strong and have rigid connection to the axles.

Here is some unedited video of chassis, I tried pneumatic suspension, but the crane is still very light, so i will install them once (and if) i finish it completely.

Steering is a bit too fast, but I am planning on using speed remote controller (train remote) for smooth and precise steering. Main point is that it has perfect return to center.

I think he meant the actual wheels themselves breaking though

The drive motors are mounted directly to the wheels?

Due to efficiency, i mounted them directly to the axle.

If i get the time until the deadline, I will copy real crane drivetrain - engine back, driveshaft to the back wheels, and driveshaft to the front, space there is already reserved :)

I think he meant the actual wheels themselves breaking though

Yeah, I thought that too, so i said the wheels are strong enough to support the cranes weight. I put my dumbbell on the chassis and drive it. The wheels are not showing any fatigue. Will show it in next video.

Wow!! You have already surpassed my expectations and the build is not even halfway done yet. This is really turning out to be one of the most amazing builds I have ever seen.

P.S I love the wheels! They look absolutely brilliant.

WOW just wow! I had no idea how massive this was until this video. Are the outriggers really lifting it off the ground completely? or is there something under it?

^Yeah I wanted to ask the same question - the outtrigers. I guess that lifthing the final crane is not the plan is it? But even now it would be quite an accomplishment.

Edited by krisandkris12

Wow!! You have already surpassed my expectations and the build is not even halfway done yet. This is really turning out to be one of the most amazing builds I have ever seen.

P.S I love the wheels! They look absolutely brilliant.

Very high praise, thanks!

WOW just wow! I had no idea how massive this was until this video. Are the outriggers really lifting it off the ground completely? or is there something under it?

Yes, the vehicle is really off the ground. Thats the reason why the chassis is cca 6cm high. Plan is to have crane off the ground even when completed.

^Yeah I wanted to ask the same question - the outtrigers. I guess that lifthing the final crane is not the plan is it? But even now it would be quite an accomplishment.

Yes, lifting the final crane off the ground is the plan :) Actually, outriggers would just extend, crane will then lift its wheels off the ground. But in any case, i will do my best for a crane to be off the ground.

Milan that looks very good! After TC8 I would look for suitable normal RC wheels...

Thanks!

Ohhh, it seems that not so many people like my wheels. I would hate to have to use RC wheels, since they are not Lego, and I really love these brick built ones! At least these wheels give the crane some uniqueness :)

How do you plan on driving the actuators in the outriggers though?

I choose LA over pneumatics simply because i wanted the crane to be able to stand on them over some time, and to adjust them individually when on slope, or yard.

At first I thought of motorizing them, but when i decided to put adjustable suspension, i occur to me that i can "cheat" by motorize extending of the outriggers, and then simply to lower the suspension until the vehicle is supported by outriggers.

So something like this:

1. Crane's suspension is fully lifted.

2. Outriggers are extended

3. Supporting plates-pads are placed under the outrigger's cylinders, but pads needs to be very close to the cylinder

4. Crane's suspension is fully lowered, and wheels should be off the ground, since outrigger's cylinders are now holding the crane, even when cylinders are not extended.

So, everything could be remotely done, without touching the model.

Edited by Milan

Shaping up really well.. nice job getting the pivot point so close to the tyre. You'll probably need to double up on hard shocks. Love the fact it's completely autonomous so far. Still impressed with those beautiful, strong wheels :wub:

I'll be a bit harsh (as usual) but I think Milan knows what he is doing so he doesn't need to listen to me.

For me it's just a big NO.

I mean I don't see the point of making such a big model (propably to impress people more?!) Unimog wheels would have been nicer and more realistic. The wheels don't impress me at all...actually they look like those plan wheels used in the old catapults....a bit ridiculous.

Crab steering it's nice, but in this case will be painfull to drive. also 2 of the axles steer at the same angle...it makes the model a bit "underdesigned" (poor or lack of). So why not having one single way to steer with proper angles on all the axles? Again seems the crab it's just to impress people more....but it's not working well so it doesn't impress me.

Anyway...I'll wait till is completed to see if I can change my mind :grin:

Edited by TheItalianBrick

Shaping up really well.. nice job getting the pivot point so close to the tyre. You'll probably need to double up on hard shocks. Love the fact it's completely autonomous so far. Still impressed with those beautiful, strong wheels :wub:

Thanks! For now each axle has 2x hard shocks and 4x small pneumatic, I agree that it might need additional 2x hard shocks per axle.

Looking very good Milan,I hope you will push the boat out and use at least four jib sections. :wink:

Thanks! I hope that, too, if there is time and parts :)

I mean I don't see the point of making such a big model (propably to impress people more?!) Unimog wheels would have been nicer and more realistic. The wheels don't impress me at all...actually they look like those plan wheels used in the old catapults....a bit ridiculous.

We had this conversation about big size and wheels on page before: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=115076&st=25#entry2346188

I am just following popular 1:13 scale.

Crab steering it's nice, but in this case will be painfull to drive. also 2 of the axles steer at the same angle...it makes the model a bit "underdesigned" (poor or lack of). So why not having one single way to steer with proper angles on all the axles? Again seems the crab it's just to impress people more....but it's not working well so it doesn't impress me.

Thanks for your input, but having only one steering mode would be a waste, imo.

Goal was to have 4 steering modes.

While driving the crane normally, only front axle is steered (just like real crane traveling more than 30km/h).

I am not sure why you say that crab is not working well...it works perfectly, and I love it.

Other two modes are rarely used, but they are implemented, too: Only back wheels steering and all wheel steering for minimum turning radii. (not perfect wheel alignment in these two modes, but it works)

as you are allowed to use non-lego rubber bands surely you could cover the wheels in thick black rubber bands to imitate a tyre tread. (or cut up sections of old bicycle inner tubes)

(plus give you grip on the tiled floors)

RBB-THK.jpg

Ohhh, it seems that not so many people like my wheels. I would hate to have to use RC wheels, since they are not Lego, and I really love these brick built ones! At least these wheels give the crane some uniqueness :)

I don't recall any part of any other MOC that would conceive such mixed feelings in me :) I agree on 100% with all you say - I also dislike non-lego substitutes and I love unique brick built solutions on contrary. Still I somehow can't digest the look of these wheels on the crane and I don't know why is that. From some reason, it doesn't resemble real wheel with tire to me. I mean, yeah, it clearly is a wheel but since the rest of your build seems to be almost perfectly accurate, this resemblance is just not good enough.

I know you hare happy with these and it's not my intention to discourage you from using these, yet if you ever wanted to try something else, I'd suggest using unimog tires on some smaller brick built disc with turntable piece as a pivot element.

3. Supporting plates-pads are placed under the outrigger's cylinders, but pads needs to be very close to the cylinder

4. Crane's suspension is fully lowered, and wheels should be off the ground, since outrigger's cylinders are now holding the crane, even when cylinders are not extended.

Hmm, I'd suggest you to reconsider this once again. 2 stage outtriger deploying is such key feature (at least I really like to look at) of a crane and especially since you have model big enough to fit full size LA's, it's sort of sin not to use them isn't it? :D