Milan

[TC8] [WIP] Liebherr LTC 1045-3.1

Thanks!

Ohhh, it seems that not so many people like my wheels. I would hate to have to use RC wheels, since they are not Lego, and I really love these brick built ones! At least these wheels give the crane some uniqueness :)

I like love your wheels...

as you are allowed to use non-lego rubber bands surely you could cover the wheels in thick black rubber bands to imitate a tyre tread. (or cut up sections of old bicycle inner tubes)

(plus give you grip on the tiled floors)

Yeah, that is a idea. But due to enourmous weight, maybe it is a good idea for a tire to slip sometimes, rather then to break gear of diff :)

UPDATE:

I know, terrible photo...

20151017_140130.jpg

Turntable, superstructure layout and motor-bank are done. Now testing boom with cylinder, to find optimal position. 5of 7 motors in the supersturcture are placed, but will secure them permanently at the end.

If I get to finish this on time, it will probably miss some advance boom design and 2x lattice jibs.

what do you have used as turntable?

4750.gif?0

Great as a turntable rollers surface as it is one piece, large, and thick, so it does not bend.

Looking great so far Milan

Thanks!

4750.gif?0

Great as a turntable rollers surface as it is one piece, large, and thick, so it does not bend.

Can you show a side view of that?

Looking really nice Milan!

I am really looking forward to this. And to throw in my opinion about the wheels. I think that they are a great idea, and will set the model apart from others.

~John

Id have never thought about using the side off the old ferris wheel Milan, very good idea. ive cheated on my LR1600 and use a 2mm 3 piece thrust bearing. But im not taking part in the competition

Wheels seem to be a love/hate thing i guess but again fantastic idea and looking forward to the finished machine

Can you show a side view of that?

Here is the best I could find:

lego-yellow-round-brick-13-667-x-13-667-fabuland-hollowed-4750-2-243142-93.jpg

It is 2 studs thick.

Looking really nice Milan!

I am really looking forward to this. And to throw in my opinion about the wheels. I think that they are a great idea, and will set the model apart from others.

~John

Thanks for your opinion, John! That was my thought, too, at least this entry will be a bit different because the wheels :)

Id have never thought about using the side off the old ferris wheel Milan, very good idea. ive cheated on my LR1600 and use a 2mm 3 piece thrust bearing. But im not taking part in the competition

Wheels seem to be a love/hate thing i guess but again fantastic idea and looking forward to the finished machine

I have used the Ferris wheel in one of my big wheels design, and that it occured to me that it can be used as a very stiff base for a turntable rollers, as there is often very limited space to make strong flat surface for a rollers to move.

Thanks for the wheels ;)

New update:

Cabin is done, and it is one of the best cabins I have ever done. It hides a detailed interior and motorized mechanism for tilting a whole cabin when it is extended and raised. I will post a video in a day or two to show you that, and one few more nice features of this cabin.

22177695938_61a3d0a916_c.jpg

22177695258_3257f83528_c.jpg

I like the way you built the windows but I think use should use 1x1 cheese slopes instead of 1x1 plates on the front, in my opinion it looks to square. Another thing STICKERS! too many non Lego stickers (3 of them :P)! Maybe try using pipes to make the black details.

I'm liking the looks of that cabin! I personally do not find the stickers offensive (especially since I am considering using them on my cabin.) Were you able to fit in a functioning door, it is kind of hard to tell from the pictures?

wiper is fantastic

the steps are nice - a cheese here and there would not be amiss - but this whole set reminds me of seeing the old lego technic sets as a kid in the catalogues - in my mind they had details like this as we were in lego system mode with more details than function - then you get to technic and the functions are great but not the details so there goes your system models and they become enhancements for the newly acquired technic models..... good move lego... good move

also I wish other builders for this competition would get ideas from the guys who are involving the forum members by sharing the design and steps along the way

just presenting a model for the competition is not going to get as many votes as someone who has developed the model along with the crowd, taking others design opinions on board (= guarranteed votes almost)

smart move competitiors.... smart move....

the steps are nice - a cheese here and there would not be amiss

I agree I think cheese slopes may look even better,although I guess you have probably already tried to use those?

^I'd say it's better to have all steps than a crooked slope (cheeseslopes doesn't make for very smooth line unless used in rather complicated way with angular bricks and so...) followed by several one plate high steps. At least I like this one better - it's LEGO afterall, should be proud for some blockyness here and there :D

I like the way you built the windows but I think use should use 1x1 cheese slopes instead of 1x1 plates on the front, in my opinion it looks to square. Another thing STICKERS! too many non Lego stickers (3 of them :P)! Maybe try using pipes to make the black details.

When I tried cheese slopes, I got non organic shape, to say in that way. It just looked too straight. With 1x1 tiles, it looks more like a curve.

Stickers...aslo, i think they give more curved look and clearly separate glass from the body.

I'm liking the looks of that cabin! I personally do not find the stickers offensive (especially since I am considering using them on my cabin.) Were you able to fit in a functioning door, it is kind of hard to tell from the pictures?

Thanks John, again :)

Oh yeah, it does have few features. I will post a video tomorrow :)

Lovely cabin...well done!

Thanks, man!

wiper is fantastic.

Thanks, Rock!

I agree I think cheese slopes may look even better,although I guess you have probably already tried to use those?

Yeah, tried it, looks much worse as it looks too straight.

^I'd say it's better to have all steps than a crooked slope (cheeseslopes doesn't make for very smooth line unless used in rather complicated way with angular bricks and so...) followed by several one plate high steps. At least I like this one better - it's LEGO afterall, should be proud for some blockyness here and there :D

Exactly! :)

It simply doesn't do for me....why would you need those glasses aswell? Looks very clumsy Milan..sorry. Basically I can't place your models....they are not studless, neither Model Team style....it's just about filling up as much as you can.....moving away from what LEGO is about probably....when I look at your wheels and at your cabin they simply don;t remind m of a Lego model.

Anyway, about the cabin, I simply would remove those glasses bricks and show the interioris....would make more sense.

My 2 cents...

Edited by TheItalianBrick

It simply doesn't do for me....why would you need those glasses aswell? Looks very clumsy Milan..sorry. Basically I can't place your models....they are not studless, neither Model Team style....it's just about filling up as much as you can.....moving away from what LEGO is about probably....when I look at your wheels and at your cabin they simply don;t remind m of a Lego model.

Again that negativity, why? Milan has chosen a different style than what we are used to and that fact alone makes it worthwhile to see how this creation will turn out.

How can this not be what Lego is about? This is EXACTLY what Lego is about: anybody can build their ideas and their visions. The fact that it doesn't meet your expectations doesn't take away form it's ingenuity or MOC value.

Sorry if my reaction is a bit fierce, it's not personal TheItalianBrick, but I get a little fed up with negativity in topics that can really take away from the fun of building. It's ok to provide criticism, but do in a constructive way, so the builder can learn from it. Simply saying "it's clumsy" isn't helpful for anybody.

Be open minded, you can only learn from it.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

Again that negativity, why? Milan has chosen a different style than what we are used to and that fact alone makes it worthwhile to see how this creation will turn out.

How can this not be what Lego is about? This is EXACTLY what Lego is about: anybody can build their ideas and their visions. The fact that it doesn't meet your expectations doesn't take away form it's ingenuity or MOC value.

Sorry if my reaction is a bit fierce, it's not personal TheItalianBrick, but I get a little fed up with negativity in topics that can really take away from the fun of building. It's ok to provide criticism, but do in a constructive way, so the builder can learn from it. Simply saying "it's clumsy" isn't helpful for anybody.

Be open minded, you can only learn from it.

LOL

As I sadi it's just my opinion...Milan is free to do whatever he wants of course! this is simply something I really don't like.....but I'm not saying he is not allowed to do it. And I do reconise Milan's skills of course...but this time the result doesn;t appeal me.

Anyway I did suggest to revome the glasses and show more interiors....this is indeed helpfull and it's anyway a suggestion! So I'm not sure what are you on about...

^It's the style in which you commented. It simply 'sounds' negative and somewhat bittery. Hey maybe it's not how you meant to express it but you have. By the way those three dots you use all the time contribute to the missinterpretations as well.

Cumulonimbus' comment is quite valid there, and even if it wasn't, it's certainly not that ridiculous to make you Lough Out Loud :P

Nothing against your suggestion though, I agrre it's at least considerable to show the interior.

Brilliant work Milan, it's great to see this different approach to Technic building. Like Lego "miniland" models, but totally jacked and working!

Genius idea about using the active suspension to raise the chassis on the outriggers as well.

Jennifer

^It's the style in which you commented. It simply 'sounds' negative and somewhat bittery.

Nothing against your suggestion though, I agrre it's at least considerable to show the interior.

It makes me smile purely because I really don't mean anything bad…as I've always said Milan has all the skills to do great things….but this one simply does't do for me! At the beginning I was excited….but when I saw the wheels it all faded away!

I don't want to sound negative…actually it could be a way to stimulate people, think if everybody would say "oh it's perfect" then nobody would improve or challenge themselves anymore!

Anyway, I strongly believe the cabin should show the interior.

P.S. i know Milan like that sort of scale, but I still would use Unimog wheels and then scale everything to them. We always complain TLG doesn't make some parts we all want…and then we we have them we don't use them! :p

Anyway Milan knows how much I respect him!

Anyway, about the cabin, I simply would remove those glasses bricks and show the interioris....would make more sense.

No need to say sorry, i am very glad to real all the comments, positive or negative.

Regarding fitting to some specific style...I dont feel the need to place this moc in any particular theme. I just thought for a week what would look good (imo) and start designing it on paper, on mlcad, and later with bricks. As Jennifer said, it looks most like Miniland, which I find very nice! Important thing is that this machine has function all over the place.

About the cabin and glass, yeah, i know what you mean, but i just love those glass pieces on the model.

This is EXACTLY what Lego is about: anybody can build their ideas and their visions.

I fully agree.

I agrre it's at least considerable to show the interior.

There would be a ways to see the interior :). Thanks for your input :)

Brilliant work Milan, it's great to see this different approach to Technic building. Like Lego "miniland" models, but totally jacked and working!

Genius idea about using the active suspension to raise the chassis on the outriggers as well.

Big thanks! And I cant believe these words are coming from a builder that brought me back to Lego! :)