Milan

[TC8] [WIP] Liebherr LTC 1045-3.1

My entry for TC8 is a rather unique and rare Liebherr mobile crane, the LTC 1045 - 3.1.

The Liebherr LTC 1045-3.1 is a three axle crane with a maximum capacity of 45 tonnes. The telescopic boom can reach 36m and the fly jib can be configured up to 13m long. A feature of the crane is the single dual-purpose cab which is used in both travelling and crane modes.

It was presented at Bauma at 2013.

liebherltc1045_00_jpg941d3cce_8580_4067_b712_41e.jpgliebherltc1045_04_jpgb0061ad0_c325_4c8f_9230_3de.jpg

This model is deigned in 1:13 scale, and will be around 85 cm long when finished, and maybe 2m high with all the sections extended and flyjibs mounted.

One of the cool features in this model is single cab, something similar to LYNX concept crane.

During the driving, cab is pushed forward and act like a carrier cab, and while it is in operating mode, it goes back to traditional position, or even better, can be lifted up to 8 meters in the air, and be tilted.

2109t800.jpg

LEGO model:

Lego model should have around 15 functions, most of them remotely controlled, few manually via switch and one or two by hand.

Carrier will have:

fully realistic live axles

6x6x6

drive on all wheels

steering on all wheels

lockable diffs on all wheels

pneumatic suspension + mechanical shocks

adjustable suspension (crane can kneel, or point nose up, or lower itself to be lower, or heighten itself for off road drive)

onboard compressor for the suspension

turntable wheel bearings

4 steering modes.

Front toolbox-big section underneath the cab is removable, so the crane can have even smaller turning circle.

Also, wheels and tires are custom built to almost perfectly fit real-life crane tires.

Crane section will have:

aforementioned telescopic cabin which can:

• telescope
  • luff
  • tilt

cool turntable with roll bearings

interesting brick-built actuator, maybe completely oval

4 section boom (one main and 3 telescopic) +

2 section flyjib.

For now, i have a lots of stuff designed on my comp, with few proven concepts built in bricks. Hope to have time to finish it.

Chassis is almost done. It is constructed in double (2 studs wide) beams and has 3 layers of beams and 6 layers of plates. Plan is that chassis wont bend when outriggers lifts the crane off the ground. We will see...

Picture of 1:1 model on paper. MInifig is there for scale comparison, and brick-built man is built in 1:13 scale, and therefore, he fits the scale of the crane.

image.jpg

Mentioned removable toolbox (section with steps, just before outrigger box)

This section is 95% made in SNOT and to be easily removable, for the crane to have even smaller turning circle.

I has openable doors for timber plates and chains.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next update will follow in a day or two. I hope to complete the back engine cover, 100% SNOT, and very curvy.

Sorry for bad cell phone pictures.

Edited by Milan

no question who will win

You are way too easily impressed.

All we can see is a printed drawing and a curved bumper section - arguably the easiest parts of the whole build. We have no idea yet about how Milan is going to tackle the actual crane with all its functionalities, and, whether the reality can live up to the ideas presented in the start post. I'm not so sure yet.

You are way too easily impressed.

All we can see is a printed drawing and a curved bumper section - arguably the easiest parts of the whole build. We have no idea yet about how Milan is going to tackle the actual crane with all its functionalities, and, whether the reality can live up to the ideas presented in the start post. I'm not so sure yet.

A crane has a lot of functions that have to be put into a small space and this has to be done right if you want it to look good. Im sure Milan can do this without a problem tho. Nice start and i look forward to future progress

Erik, i am sure that milan would not post a picture from a design part, without to have the technical part finished.

For once I agree with Erik! I mean people on here are easily too impressed….in general! But in the other hand we know how good Milan is! So no doubts he will entry a great model!

Looking forward to the final thing! it's will be huge as usual!!!

Thanks for all the comments, guys! :)

Update.

Since this crane is specific also by its engine location at the back, it has unique back section and part of the engine cover.

After 3 days and after 7 rebuilds, back section- engine cover is done!

Routine was literally work -> engine cover ->sleep -> repeat.

Cover is 100% SNOT, very sturdy and uses very large DBG plates as a base. It is sloped both from bottom, sides and at the radiator. This sections covers only back of the engine. Top section is still to be finished.

I am not sure yet about curved stickers, for now I will keep them, later I may experiment with 3x2 and 4x2 wing plates to achieve similar curve, but studs would be visible then.

Sorry for bad picture. It looks much better in real:

Comparison with the real back section,

image.jpg6bf1b4a9_b086_464e_b760_96e7e57022e0_W615_H615.jpg

Next is connection between chassis and outrigger boxes. I am still fine tuning the chassis, it goes slow as i have to plan 10 next steps to be attached onto it, most delicate is the pneumatic suspension system and turntable ring. Already at 4th rebuilt, but it has to be super strong to be able to hold lifted crane. Update in two days. Hope it will be done on time.

I don't like the stickers to be honest. I'd much rather see built curve, even if it was stepped and several visible studs (I like some studs remaining anyway - kind of tribute to lego :D )

By the way, what are these black slots on the real crane, perhaps some screwholes or? Thought of implementing them?

Nice progress Milan, I'm looking forward to the functions of the crane tho :D

Are the custom stickers even allowed?

I'd rather see them not be.

I agree, but a small company sticker would be a nice small touch. But large (non Lego) stickers should b frowned apon. Just my thought tho

Thanks all for your inputs!

I don't like the stickers to be honest. I'd much rather see built curve, even if it was stepped and several visible studs (I like some studs remaining anyway - kind of tribute to lego :D )

By the way, what are these black slots on the real crane, perhaps some screwholes or? Thought of implementing them?

Will try to change sticker with wing plates.

Since that whole back section is removable panels, I guess those black slots are levers or something similar to release them.

Hi Milan.

The back section look good, but i am not a fan of that big sticker.

Got it, i will try the alternative approach.

Are the custom stickers even allowed?

I'd rather see them not be.

Yes, they are allowed, as they were in the last two contests.

Nice progress Milan, I'm looking forward to the functions of the crane tho :D

small company sticker would be a nice small touch. But large (non Lego) stickers should b frowned apon. Just my thought tho

Thanks! :)

Wow, that's very good! It just feels a bit strange to have the host of the competition competing, not that I'm saying that you have an advantage.

Looking good so far, SNOT certainly gives it a cleaner look than nearly exclusively using Technic like I am. Are you planning on attempting to replicate all of the steering modes? I like the custom stickers but I would prefer it to be an actual piece instead.

Competition is over before it even started... imo :blush:

I am looking forward to the finished product, and hopefully the functional elements of this MOC will be more robust than the ones of the MOC you entered for TC6.. As for the back section, I too am not a fan of the stickers.

Best of luck milan!

Wow, that's very good! It just feels a bit strange to have the host of the competition competing, not that I'm saying that you have an advantage.

Thanks!

Maybe you can try the curved line with slopes and inverted slopes. you got enough room for it in the back section :wink: .

That was my initial idea, to combine regular and snot technique. I will try wing plates or sloped bricks, but only at the very end if I had any time left.

Are you planning on attempting to replicate all of the steering modes?

Real LTC has 5 steering modes, and my initial thought was to use 3 servos to replicate that, and use system of levers on the controller, but at the end i realized it would be overly complicated to use, so I have opted for 4 steering modes, which are use most common: Only front wheels, all wheels, only back wheels and crab.

I am looking forward to the finished product, and hopefully the functional elements of this MOC will be more robust than the ones of the MOC you entered for TC6.

Best of luck milan!

I sure hope that too! Axles and wheels are my favorite groups for now because of the robustness!

Thanks!

Looking good so far, crazy level of details, expecting the final model to be huge! :thumbup:

What wheels are you using?

Regarding stickers, On this kind of model I say go for it, if the same details can't be achieved with bricks. As far as I know custom stickers have been allowed for all previous contests as well :classic:

Using stickers to achieve certain shapes not feasible with bricks is something TLG does in official sets.

I think those look ok and contribute to a closer look to the original model.

Looking good so far, crazy level of details, expecting the final model to be huge! :thumbup:

What wheels are you using?

Regarding stickers, On this kind of model I say go for it, if the same details can't be achieved with bricks. As far as I know custom stickers have been allowed for all previous contests as well :classic:

Yeah, chassis is huge, probably the biggest chassis i have ever built. And fattest :)

Wheels...they will be done tomorrow or day after tomorrow, I will take a picture of them then and show them here. They are not official ones, and are in perfect scale from 1.5m on real crane (11.2cm diameter)

I have already tried some wing-plates experiments on the back section, and it looks great, so wing plates are way to go. Accidentally, i found i would need few studs from those plates after all :)

Using stickers to achieve certain shapes not feasible with bricks is something TLG does in official sets.

I think those look ok and contribute to a closer look to the original model.

Yeah, but are slightly less yellow that Lego yellow, now back section has half finished wing plates curve, will show it in a week.

Thanks for the interest, guys! :)

Edited by Milan

I have already tried some wing-plates experiments on the back section, and it looks great, so wing plates are way to go. Accidentally, i found i would need few studs from those plates after all

:thumbup: :thumbup: