Sign in to follow this  
AlexJ

Set 10233 Kingdoms Joust a boring build

Hi.

I've been into lego for quite a few years now but was never into the 'castle' theme.

Recently, I purchased set 10233 Kingdoms Joust just to try the theme out since i heard there's going to be a new castle theme (nexo knights) coming next year.

Honestly, I found the build of Kingdoms Joust to be very boring. The building techniques used were just very basic. I mean for the piece count I thought it would be a nice build and all but i was very disappointed with the building process and the finished product.

Besides the Medieval Market set, are all of the sets under the castle theme this lame?

Are the building processes used under this theme really very basic?

What 'castle' sets would you recommend that would have a more exciting build and finished product?

The Medieval Market is part of the Castle 2007 line (aka Fantasy Era). Not Kingdoms (2011)

What themes are you into, Here are a few different themes of castle:

Classic

6086-1.jpg

Knights kingdom 2

51M7uMd0RvL.jpg

kingdoms

kingdomsets.png?w=842

Castle wave 1

ac_lego_castle_siege_360.jpg

Castle wave 2

818vR1xvaDL._SX425_.jpg

Lord of the rings

$_35.JPG$%28KGrHqFHJEIFGvnvCv-tBRv9R6LvJg~~60_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Nexo Knights

to see images, Google Nexo Knights

Edited by Dr.Cogg

It might help to have a reference point for what you think it "good". There are quite a few people that regard the Kingdoms Joust set pretty highly, so in order to offer advice, more info on the sorts of sets you like would be beneficial. You say you've been into Lego for years, but never Castle - what themes have you enjoyed before now?

Hi.

I've been into lego for quite a few years now but was never into the 'castle' theme.

Recently, I purchased set 10233 Kingdoms Joust just to try the theme out since i heard there's going to be a new castle theme (nexo knights) coming next year.

Honestly, I found the build of Kingdoms Joust to be very boring. The building techniques used were just very basic. I mean for the piece count I thought it would be a nice build and all but i was very disappointed with the building process and the finished product.

Besides the Medieval Market set, are all of the sets under the castle theme this lame?

Are the building processes used under this theme really very basic?

What 'castle' sets would you recommend that would have a more exciting build and finished product?

Wow, The Kingdoms joust set is actually a very well built, beautiful set with very good techniques and architecture. If you thought this was a boring and basic set then I suggest you stay away from the castle theme entirely.

Maybe you should just build your own castle. That way it wont be too boring or basic for you. Maybe you can build something amazing like Bob Carney, or stuff like the other good folks here build.

I guess if you're looking for complex build techniques Castle sets are probably not the best place. Of course many Castle MOCs use complex techniques to get organic shapes and detailed textures. I mainly judge sets by their piece selection as building from instructions is only a small part of the fun, and I'd say Kingdom's Joust is quite good if a little pricey given the size of the pieces.

This thread seems like borderline trolling.

Wow, The Kingdoms joust set is actually a very well built, beautiful set with very good techniques and architecture. If you thought this was a boring and basic set then I suggest you stay away from the castle theme entirely.

Maybe you should just build your own castle. That way it wont be too boring or basic for you. Maybe you can build something amazing like Bob Carney, or stuff like the other good folks here build.

This. Kingdoms joust is a great build with a few techniques that you don't see in most standard sets. If this is set is boring, I suggest you stick with whatever it is that you do find interesting.

In the Historic Themes forum, too..... :drunk:

If you found out that Nexo Knights is coming out next year, why on earth would you start your Castle collection by buying it's polar opposite? :wacko:

Edited by BrickJagger

Whoa. And here I thought all along that the ol' Joust was a really neat set. Guess I was wrong, huh? No, seriously, I can't see anything majorly wrong with it. It could have been a little bigger, perhaps, but otherwise it's a unique set with really good minifigs. Lame? Uh, well, everyone has a different opinion. To me, the definition of the word "lame" is Star Wars - but that's just my opinion, and lots of paying customers feel differently. I bet I could spark a REAL war if I spoke my opinion in the Star Wars forum... which is why I don't go there. Ever. Perhaps this thread is leaning that way too.

Edited by Captain Dee

It might help to have a reference point for what you think it "good". There are quite a few people that regard the Kingdoms Joust set pretty highly, so in order to offer advice, more info on the sorts of sets you like would be beneficial. You say you've been into Lego for years, but never Castle - what themes have you enjoyed before now?

I've been collecting creator expert sets, but occasionally I get sets from other themes like ewok village for Star Wars, tower of orthanc fr LOTR, kiwk e mart from Simpsons, sea cow from lego movie, imperial flagship from pirates and the 2 ships from POTC. I thoroughly enjoyed the building process and the look of those sets.

Yes, I've read a lot of good reviews about castle/kingdoms sets especially medieval market village and kingdoms joust that's why I purchased kingdoms joust.

I was just curious what the build would feel like for a set under this theme.

I need advice, since I didn't enjoy the build of this set, should I still try other sets under this theme? If yes, can you recommend sets?

Whoa. And here I thought all along that the ol' Joust was a really neat set. Guess I was wrong, huh? No, seriously, I can't see anything majorly wrong with it. It could have been a little bigger, perhaps, but otherwise it's a unique set with really good minifigs. Lame? Uh, well, everyone has a different opinion. To me, the definition of the word "lame" is Star Wars - but that's just my opinion, and lots of paying customers feel differently. I bet I could spark a REAL war if I spoke my opinion in the Star Wars forum... which is why I don't go there. Ever. Perhaps this thread is leaning that way too.

Yes I totally understand where you're coming from.

I think from now on I would express my sentiments in a lighter way so as not to spark these reactions.

Thanks.

This thread seems like borderline trolling.

This. Kingdoms joust is a great build with a few techniques that you don't see in most standard sets. If this is set is boring, I suggest you stick with whatever it is that you do find interesting.

Ok. Thanks.

I want to give this theme another try.

Can you recommend sets under this theme?

Man, I have to say this is doubly disappointing - AlexJ didn't care for the set after having had it built up by its reputation, and a copy of one of the more desired sets that some of us would dearly love to have but that's no longer available got wasted on someone who didn't appreciate it. Frustrating all around. Oh, well.

AlexJ, if you really are interested in Castle-type themes but didn't care for this set, I'm not sure how many (if any) official sets would be satisfactory. Since you do say you want to give it another try, though, I have two suggestions. First, I suggest you check out building instructions for various official sets you're considering. Virtually all sets from the last several years on have their instructions freely downloadable from LEGO's site, and this will of course be the case with future sets, including castle-related sets. That way you can get a better idea of whether a set will be to your liking before you plunk down your money on it. Alternately, you could forgo official sets altogether and just try MOCing your own castle(s). If the Joust was an unsatisfying build for you, I'm respectfully uncertain whether there are any official castle sets you'd like, but of course your own creations can be more sophisticated and complex than any official set in any theme, if you want.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Most all the castle sets are pretty basic. You have 4 walls, some towers and good figs. Medieval market village, and kingdoms joust were not normal sets in the Lego castle theme. What I mean by this is that, those two sets are very nice, with special build techniques.

I know that if you did not enjoy Kingdoms joust then you really would not like many of the caste sets. After all most of them are just simple towers or castles. I love classic castle, and I only build MOCs because I like to make something great. If you just want to make an awesome castle then you would be best served if you bought the pieces you wanted and built one yourself.

Most the official castle builds from lego use large wall sections with window cutouts. I avoid those in my builds as much as I can, but for classic castle they go great.

If joust is boring, go straight for Orthanc. I don't have it yet but it looks interesting.

The for the Orthanc, end result is quite interesting and it took me quite awhile to build but I found the build process quite repetitive in several places.

I know the LOTR group will stone me for this, but...

Just MHO,

Andy D

I've been collecting creator expert sets, but occasionally I get sets from other themes like ewok village for Star Wars, tower of orthanc fr LOTR, kiwk e mart from Simpsons, sea cow from lego movie, imperial flagship from pirates and the 2 ships from POTC. I thoroughly enjoyed the building process and the look of those.

I think I see the problem... The Kingdoms Joust does not have the complexity of Creator Expert, looks like you desire sets from the more advanced side. I think the age group on the package should help give you a clue as to your anticipated enjoyment of a particular set.

IHTH

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I am a big Castle fan (especially like Kingdoms) but I have to say that this set was the least favourable for me in the whole Kingdoms line. Kingdoms Joust is absolutely dissapointing in every aspect.

The building looks nice at first but if you watch it carefully it is absolutely pointless. What is this? A gate? No, it isn't, you cannot close. Bridge? No, I think it is meant to be some kind of palace but has no functionality at all. If you put aside the Kings Castle they look weird. So much taller then the castle. I like only the dais, it is nicely built.

The figs are dissapointing too. Why are there only two knights in a joust set? It has to be at least 4 in a set priced like this. I have to admit that the Falcon knight is outstanding at least, it is the highlight of the set. I think there are collectors who bought the set only for this minifig. The other figs do not worth mentioning. I would prefer to have bear dancers, fortune tellers, singers, troupers instead of the large and pointless structure.

I had the opportunity to get this set at bargain price but I missed it. It wasn't even worth the lower price for me.

I am a big Castle fan (especially like Kingdoms) but I have to say that this set was the least favourable for me in the whole Kingdoms line. Kingdoms Joust is absolutely dissapointing in every aspect.

The building looks nice at first but if you watch it carefully it is absolutely pointless. What is this? A gate? No, it isn't, you cannot close. Bridge? No, I think it is meant to be some kind of palace but has no functionality at all. If you put aside the Kings Castle they look weird. So much taller then the castle. I like only the dais, it is nicely built.

The figs are dissapointing too. Why are there only two knights in a joust set? It has to be at least 4 in a set priced like this. I have to admit that the Falcon knight is outstanding at least, it is the highlight of the set. I think there are collectors who bought the set only for this minifig. The other figs do not worth mentioning. I would prefer to have bear dancers, fortune tellers, singers, troupers instead of the large and pointless structure.

I had the opportunity to get this set at bargain price but I missed it. It wasn't even worth the lower price for me.

Actually, the kingdoms joust set was ment to be bought twice. If you have two of the sets they will combine. Then you have two towers joined by a bridge. I think the set has tons of potential. I have used it in MOCs, and I have seen other people use it in MOCs. Redhead and Redbeard did a really nice MOC with it. The pieces are also useful if you want to make a tower with it. Thats what I did.

Firstly, welcome to the historic side of things AlexJ. Well if Kingdoms Joust doesn't excite you I personally loved Helms Deep and that hasn't quite skyrocketed on the secondary market, and I've heard Orthanc is great (but I don't have firsthand experience there). Sadly though if none of this interests you (and you're not trolling) then history might not be for you, best of luck though in your knightly quest.

The for the Orthanc, end result is quite interesting and it took me quite awhile to build but I found the build process quite repetitive in several places.

I know the LOTR group will stone me for this, but...

They shouldn't - the LOTR/Hobbit sets were, overall, very disappointing, IMO. This is coming from someone who, when announced, would never in a million years think they wouldn't want every single set.

Some of the builds were OK, but the end results were really not what I wanted (I wanted visual beauty, I got play sets - I can't complain, but I wasn't really happy with the sets).

Orthanc is really quite impressive - once built. But I imagine building it is mostly just a lot of bricks, level after level.

...snip

Orthanc is really quite impressive - once built. But I imagine building it is mostly just a lot of bricks, level after level.

That was kind of like my overall experience as well.

It takes up a lot of display space, now I have to disassemble, sort and store all those bricks.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I am a big Castle fan (especially like Kingdoms) but I have to say that this set was the least favourable for me in the whole Kingdoms line.

I agree with Nemorino. Me too I think Kingdoms joust is disappointing. I love this kingdoms line but I didn't and probably will not buy this set. Try the Mill village raid instead. It' waaaay better IMHO.

Orthanc tower, as said before is really impressive but could be repetitive. So, if you don't want repetitive build and more building techniques, I don't think Orthanc tower is for you.

Its a Jousting Plaza entrance.

Someone posted correctly that if you had 2 or more you can link them to make it look like a stadium.

Plaza entrances had no gates, its just an arch.

The Knights tents should in reality be placed outside the walls, inside was only the pubilc and the jousting arena.

Also the walls could be better as normally you would have a lot of back sides of houses on them (there is the blue one, but its really small)

Some pics to clear things out:

joust.jpg

Whoa. And here I thought all along that the ol' Joust was a really neat set. Guess I was wrong, huh? No, seriously, I can't see anything majorly wrong with it. It could have been a little bigger, perhaps, but otherwise it's a unique set with really good minifigs. Lame? Uh, well, everyone has a different opinion. To me, the definition of the word "lame" is Star Wars - but that's just my opinion, and lots of paying customers feel differently. I bet I could spark a REAL war if I spoke my opinion in the Strar Wars forum... which is why I don't go there. Ever. Perhaps this thread is leaning that way too.

Are you referring to Star Wars sets, or the movies/ story?

Also what's bad about the Star Wars thread and how is this this thread leaning towards it?

There's nothing "wrong" with the Star Wars forum ("thread?"). The comments were critical enough to trigger a response - some positive, several negative - and I was suggesting that's what would happen if I went into the SW forum and started griping about, say, how Lego puts so much emphasis on the theme or something like that. The topics themselves aren't leaning toward each other in any way; it was an example of how being overly critical would spark the same type of reaction, nothing more. I see how it could be confusing.