Xaran Alamas

Removing the spring from 6048898: Spring Shooter 1X4

Hi, 28 year old AFOL here, I'm still new to Eurobricks but I thought this was as good a place as any to ask this.

I've been a fan of LEGO all my life but like many took a break in my teen years or so. And I came out of my Dark Age with Ninjago. I've got all the sets (Though I am missing some of the more spinner-centric sets from the earlier range as it didn't interest me so much.)

However the point of this post is to ask if anyone has advice for how to remove the trigger mechanism, or specifically the spring from the piece in the title: Brickset Link

I don't generally have a problem with launcher pieces even if they're not something I use as they've generally had some means of rendering them safe, such as the hole for a Technic Pin in the back of the rubber missile pieces or simply not putting the trigger piece in on the more recent stud launcher.

These shooters however have no apparent way of doing that other than not loading the missile. Unfortunately on sets such as the Boulder Blaster this effects the aesthetics of the model be it the orange tips of the missile or the two-tone grey launchers themselves. In addition to this these launchers seemingly have such a hairspring trigger that leaving them with the missiles in while not in use is not an option (when assembling it I narrowly missed taking my brother's eye out with one of the missile which shot off to parts unknown.)

The safety concerns of such a piece from LEGO who are generally safety minded aside what I would most like to do is either remove the spring from inside the shooter or cut it so that I could place the missile safely within.

Alternatively any suggestions for methods of adding a 'safety' such as the one I mentioned for the Rubber tipped missiles would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

~ Xaran :)

Edited by Xaran Alamas

If you want the missile in but not be able to fire it, you could glue it then insert it.

If you want the missile in but not be able to fire it, you could glue it then insert it.

Thanks for the suggestion but I would rather a solution that wasn't permanent (at least in regards to putting the missiles in/taking them out. I don't care about losing the shooter functionality itself.

Thanks anyway

So a partial fix I have found is to use a technic 1/2 Bush and put it over the end of the missile sticking out the back of the launcher. This is not perfect however as the grip isn't so strong as to completely stop movement - if you fire the missile the bush is pushed back, not enough to completely push it off the end - it still stops the missile firing - but it must be moved back up the peg to stop it eventually popping off.

I've yet to try this fix with the Boulder Blaster but it seems a possible interim fix and a good fix if you don't want to cut the brick as the missiles can sit in the launcher (even if not fully primed) and not slip out.

If room allows and aesthetics allow, try the 1x2 plate with clips, the grip is better than the 1/2 bush and if positioned just right can be attached to the vehicle too.

If room allows and aesthetics allow, try the 1x2 plate with clips, the grip is better than the 1/2 bush and if positioned just right can be attached to the vehicle too.

Ooh that could work, thanks for the suggestion!

Phew, I'm not the only one to have this issue! Eyesite has been nearly compromised a few times while modding & swooshing Anakin's 75038 Interceptor...

Similar to Gallardo's suggestion, I use one of these:

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=2555

It can be rotated around to offer the best aesthetic depending where the launcher is mounted.

Having said that, I do like Xaran's suggestion; would probably look better even if it slips a bit. The object here is to stop the missile launching! Mmmm, maybe TWO half-bushes would work...

Replace the part completly using a lamp and 3 1x1 bricks and place a coloured nub on the end.