Sign in to follow this  
hermez

[MOC] [WIP] Modular Brick School

Hi all!

After the great feedback for my first ever MOC "Bauhaus Modular Building", I recently started working on my second:

Modular Brick School

800x683.jpg

There are 3 classrooms, a large staircase, a teacher's office and a small shop at the front, selling newspapers and refreshments.

As of now - and because the half finished building is already well north of 3.500 bricks due to all the 1x2 dark red plates - I have no intention to build an interior for the third floor ;)

// Still to do:

- Rework the third floor's exterior and roof - I am just not happy with it

- Finishing up teacher's office on the first floor

- Finishing up classrooms on the second floor

The school could as well be a Town Hall or Governmental building - what do you think?

Beautiful building :) I would up the 3rd floor with 1 or 2 layers before the roof begins. It looks weird compared to the other floors. Furthermore its a very nice looking school!

The colour scheme, oh my.. looks like it came straight out of Harry Potter.. love it to bits. But why only a surface layer of dark red?

This looks really good - the arches supporting the bay windows above the door are cleverly done. But I'm not sure the cone on top is built as solidly as possible, and I don't think the sand green colour complements the rest of the building.

thanks - made some adjustments to the roof - still not a 100% happy, but an improvement in my book ;)

800x720.jpg

This looks really good - the arches supporting the bay windows above the door are cleverly done. But I'm not sure the cone on top is built as solidly as possible, and I don't think the sand green colour complements the rest of the building.

thanks! the cone should be quite solid actually - I'll see when I build it ;)

The colour scheme, oh my.. looks like it came straight out of Harry Potter.. love it to bits. But why only a surface layer of dark red?

thank you! :) the building will be incorporated in my modular street (and hence neither the sides nor the back of the building will be visible) - grey is simply cheaper than dark red :D

Beautiful building :) I would up the 3rd floor with 1 or 2 layers before the roof begins. It looks weird compared to the other floors. Furthermore its a very nice looking school!

yes, that's what I'm currently looking into - thanks!

Edited by hermez

Some low detail renders from the first and second floor:

entry hall and staircase, teacher's office, classroom:

800x534.jpg

chemistry and music classrooms:

800x661.jpg

and a new one from the front (showing that the building is slightly asymmetrical) ;)

800x745.jpg

total piece count after adding the interior: ~3.800.

it's gonna be expensive building that thing. uff

Edited by hermez

I agree that it looks straight out of Harry Potter. I like the way you did the gable roof. And it's amazing that you are able to get that much texture and color to harmonize so well.

Very nice! I'm sure that students would not be amused by the handcuff motif!

I think that this building would look fantastic if you repeated the second level and made it 4 stores tall.

Love the little shop. I'm sure they do a brisk after school business in ice cream and candy.

This is an impressive building!!! I will be very interested to see it in bricks one day!! Better start saving those 100s :wall:

Do you have a current city set up? I'd love to see pics of it if so...

In my opinion, the proportions of your building look off. For this kind of architectural style the ground floor could benefit from adding some height. The same applies to the top floor but to a lesser extent. For a more modern-looking building like your Bauhaus building floors having the same height isn't a problem but for a public building or retail shop from the era of historicism it usually is.

I hope this won't have a detrimental effect on your building activity. :classic:

This is an impressive building!!! I will be very interested to see it in bricks one day!! Better start saving those 100s :wall:

Do you have a current city set up? I'd love to see pics of it if so...

thanks! :) I don't have a city setup currently, just the PR, the DO and my Bauhaus Modular high up on my book shelf - the school will sit right next to them when I get around building it, so I might share a picture or two as soon as everything's finished :)

In my opinion, the proportions of your building look off. For this kind of architectural style the ground floor could benefit from adding some height. The same applies to the top floor but to a lesser extent. For a more modern-looking building like your Bauhaus building floors having the same height isn't a problem but for a public building or retail shop from the era of historicism it usually is.

I hope this won't have a detrimental effect on your building activity. :classic:

Absolutely not, actually quite the opposite. :D Now I can't wait to get things started with real bricks. You are right - it does look off - and I won't touch my LXF file in order to add height to the first floor. Things will get ... complicated if I did :laugh: I'll build it with an additional row or two.

Thanks all for your great input.