More than month ago I've decided to begin building my biggest and most challenging alernative model so far. It will be forwarder (log loader) built out of set 8053 - Mobile Crane. The first issue was how to build complex crane with just one linear actuator and limited amount of gears. I've solved it by using worm gears instead of linear actuators and it works good. This is the first working prototype of rear part of forwarder:

8053-01.jpg

Then I've begun working on cab and this is the second version of it (you can aslo notice minor changes in crane):

8053-05.jpg

When I've showed it to my wife she told me that cab is too high and angular. What do you think about it?

8053-06.jpg

And last picture of forwarder ready to grab something:

8053-04.jpg

Few features and specifications:

• 4 axles with articulated steering
  • working crane: rotation around vertical axis, lifting boom by wormgear, lifting stick by linear actuator, opening grapple by worm gear
  • crane is operated from chassis (1 black axle connector and 2 red axle connectors)
  • rotary seat in cab (not built yet)
  • opening engine cover with fake engine (not built yet)
  • target number of parts: 1000+

Few issues to solve:

• steering on smooth surfaces - wheels offer big resistance but it's OK on carpet
  • overall design
  • lack of useful parts

Any comments and ideas for improvements are welcomed.

I think you picked a difficult set to build alts for. Part-wise. It's a lot of beams, and more beams. So your MOC of this set is also a bit much "just beams" (just few panels in the set, probably). So yeah, I can see it's a challenge. I agree that the cab is quite angular, but I don't know if much better can be done with the set. Maybe it's also because the model feels a bit large for the wheels. Would it be possible to shorten things a bit? Maybe a bit less room between the steering pivot and the rear wheels (there's much empty space behind the turntable, shortening it may even help the steering?), and make the cabin a little bit lower as well, and the nose a bit shorter. Not sure its possible with the parts, but playing around with the proportions might help.

Also, maybe, to save a bit on gears, you might be able to use some sort of a linkage system for the steering (similar to 42030 maybe?). The set has a few of the ball joint links for deploying the outriggers, maybe you could use those. Then you have some more gears left for the mechanisms of the crane.

Good luck anyway :)

i think you should try to lower the cab a bit, and put some axles on it and try to recreate a safety cage, and maybe, if there are enough pieces left, make a pendular suspension, but it seems very well designed, and full of functions, i like it.

Hello,

I like this alternatve, especially the crane part.

As suggestion for next alernative: once i sarted to build a grader from this set, the boom section is very useful for the front of it, I was maybe 70% ready, just life happened, never finished... no pictures, sorry. Still I believe, 8053 is a very good base for a grader. :wink:

Edited by agrof

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

I agree that the cab is quite angular, but I don't know if much better can be done with the set. Maybe it's also because the model feels a bit large for the wheels. Would it be possible to shorten things a bit? Maybe a bit less room between the steering pivot and the rear wheels (there's much empty space behind the turntable, shortening it may even help the steering?), and make the cabin a little bit lower as well, and the nose a bit shorter. Not sure its possible with the parts, but playing around with the proportions might help.

Good points. Wheels are really little bit smaller than they should be. I'll try to lower both cab and crane and move rear axles closer to cab.

i think you should try to lower the cab a bit, and put some axles on it and try to recreate a safety cage, and maybe, if there are enough pieces left, make a pendular suspension, but it seems very well designed, and full of functions, i like it.

Yes, I think safety cage is good idea. I'll try to add it. Pendular suspension was also on my list but I think this model is too small for recreating it.

As suggestion for next alernative: once i sarted to build a grader from this set, the boom section is very useful for the front of it, I was maybe 70% ready, just life happened, never finished... no pictures, sorry. Still I believe, 8053 is a very good base for a grader. :wink:

I haven't thought about grader but you are right I can imagine building it out of this set. By the way I've already built one out of smaller mobile crane set 8067.

8067_model_2-3-grader.jpg

I'm back with finished forwarder! :sweet: I've adjusted proportions (lowered cab and moved rear axles forward) and almost totally rebuilt its body. Now it looks and works much better than before. You can compare its proportions with original Noe NF410 forwarder on this picture:

14440739723_DISPLAY.jpg

Final features and specifications are:

• little bit more than 1000 parts
  • 4 axles with articulated steering
  • working crane: turning around, lifting boom and stick, opening grapple
  • crane is operated from chassis by 2 double bevel gears and 1 axle connector
  • lifting front blade
  • turning seat in cab

14440739711_DISPLAY.jpg

1444073970m_DISPLAY.jpg

14440739712_DISPLAY.jpg

Video will be available soon.

What a change, it looks much more right with the proportions now. Great job!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by Chr.Maglekaer

Nice, I'm looking forward to building it, :excited: my personal challenge will be to get the original stickers to fit your model. :look:

It succeeds very well with 8052 (Truck with Work Platform). :laugh:

very nice

• Making lots of short posts may increase your post count, but they also increase your chances of being asked to leave the site. If you have something meaningful to add to a conversation, it will probably consist of more than one sentence. And those sentences will be separated by a space. Or a line.

I recommend that you read the rest of the post in Posting Standards: A Message for All Members Topic that is linked in EB's FAQ