Sign in to follow this  
AlexJ

Power functions not the same for Set 10233 Horizon Express and Set 600

Hi.

I'm quite new to Lego trains.

My first purchase was this year's set 60098 Heavy Haul Train.

I had so much fun with it and it got me interested to check out Lego trains geared towards adults.

Recently, i purchased 2 sets of 10233 Horizon Express from Ebay.

While building the horizon express I noticed that it requires different power functions from the power functions that came wit the heavy haul train.

I actually thought i could just use Heavy Haul Train's power functions for the Horizon Express.

I need some advice.

Should i buy power functions for the horizon express in order to power it?

Is there a way i could use Heavy Haul Train's power fuctions for the Horizon Express?

Why would lego make require different power functions for their trains?

Wouldn't it be easier for Lego and it's customers if they just made the same set of power functions for all trains?

On another note,

since i purchased 2 sets of the horizon express, how do power the second one?

What do i need to do or purchase?

Thank a lot.

This is the PF I used to power my Horizon Express. If your layout is flat, it can run with one engine. Do a search on the forum. The powering of the second engine has been covered many times.

IMG_20150823_010145_zpsnuf2a0cl.jpg

The second one could be powered in multiple ways. With the Horizon being a long train you may have some trouble with both back to back because of the way the motors work. The easiest would be using extension cables (http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-Extension-Wire-20-8871) and a polarity switch (http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-Control-Switch-8869) but if you still have another battery box, receiver and motor you could also do the same setup in both locomotives with one driving backwards (black switch next to the red buttons on the controller.

Hi.

I'm quite new to Lego trains.

My first purchase was this year's set 60098 Heavy Haul Train.

I had so much fun with it and it got me interested to check out Lego trains geared towards adults.

Recently, i purchased 2 sets of 10233 Horizon Express from Ebay.

While building the horizon express I noticed that it requires different power functions from the power functions that came wit the heavy haul train.

I actually thought i could just use Heavy Haul Train's power functions for the Horizon Express.

I need some advice.

Is there a way i could use Heavy Haul Train's power fuctions for the Horizon Express?

Wouldn't it be easier for Lego and it's customers if they just made the same set of power functions for all trains?

Thank a lot.

The power functions for the heavy haul train is the same as the one that you can use for the HE.

The power function elements used in the train since 2010 is the same as the current one, except maybe the V2 for the receiver.

Post a picture of the one you got so we can see if there's any difference at all.

Edited by CisFran

I need some advice.

On another note,

since i purchased 2 sets of the horizon express, how do power the second one?

What do i need to do or purchase?

Thank a lot.

I THINK the only difference between the heavy haul and horizon express PF is that the heavy haul uses the AAA battery box and horizon express uses the rechargeable battery box. They are functionally equivalent from a lego building stand point. The rechargeable has more consistent power delivery throughout it's discharge and can be built inside a model easier, neither of which are critical if you are just running the HE around your house. Though from lego's standpoint, they would much prefer you spent $50 on a battery and $25 on a charger instead of re-purposing a AAA battery box. In other words, buy some high quality rechargeable AAA batteries for now.

As for one verses two motors in a 6 unit HE. If your floor is flat you should might be able to get away with a single motor. Try it first. With a little building finesse you can get two motors under one HE to save on a second battery box and receiver... or you could run a PF extension wire and put a second motor on the lead truck of the second car (in either case you'll likely need the pole reverser switch). Simply powering both locomotives is the easiest build solution, you just need to be careful that you keep both locomotives at the same speed as much as possible (I don't think it is the end of the world if you don't keep them matched, but the train might derail or uncouple, and the batteries will likely run down faster... but all of this is just speculation on my part, i.e., try at your own risk).

Hello AlexJ,

Welcome to the crazy world of LEGO trains.

If you want to power the HE with only one motor, give yourself a chance by replacing the technic-axle unpowered bogie on the unpowered locomotive with an unpowered bogie that uses the regular wheel bricks (2878). See this link http://cache.lego.co...ons/4167345.pdf for inspiration (Metrolner instructions, step #12 on page 17). The technic axles have enormous friction, especially when compared to the regular wheels.

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

As for one verses two motors in a 6 unit HE. If your floor is flat you should might be able to get away with a single motor. Try it first. With a little building finesse you can get two motors under one HE to save on a second battery box and receiver... or you could run a PF extension wire and put a second motor on the lead truck of the second car (in either case you'll likely need the pole reverser switch).

thanks a lot for the tips.

What's the pole reverser switch for?

Is it to make one motor go forward and the second one go backward?

If so, why can't we just make the 2 motors face the same direction so we don't have to use a pole reverser switch?

If so, why can't we just make the 2 motors face the same direction so we don't have to use a pole reverser switch?

It is to make the motors go in the same direction if you have the motors oriented in opposite direction. It would be the easy way if you have an extra PF switch kicking around.

You could make the two motors face the same direction but the power cable may get in the way. You'll have to do some creative cable routing through the orange train base plate.

It is to make the motors go in the same direction if you have the motors oriented in opposite direction. It would be the easy way if you have an extra PF switch kicking around.

You could make the two motors face the same direction but the power cable may get in the way. You'll have to do some creative cable routing through the orange train base plate.

Ok.

Got it!

Thanks a for the very helpful tips!

Hello AlexJ,

Welcome to the crazy world of LEGO trains.

If you want to power the HE with only one motor, give yourself a chance by replacing the technic-axle unpowered bogie on the unpowered locomotive with an unpowered bogie that uses the regular wheel bricks (2878). See this link http://cache.lego.co...ons/4167345.pdf for inspiration (Metrolner instructions, step #12 on page 17). The technic axles have enormous friction, especially when compared to the regular wheels.

Dan-147

Thanks for the tip!

Will check this out!

Exactly, if you attempt do a direct solution and run both train motor wires through the center 2x2 holes in the baseplate, one motor will be oriented backwards to the other. If you build your own base plate it is a lot easier to orient both motors in the same direction. You might be able to leave a hole at the back of the HE engine to slip the wire out, but it may catch when the motor bogie turns on curves. One nice thing about the PF train motor design is that below the wire exit there is enough room to put a plate (for couplers or detailing). On the HE I think just using pole reverser switch is the easiest. If you search the train tech forum for Horizon Express there are a few threads on modifying the model, including installing two motors.

Another thought to making it work better with a single motor- just put a lot of weight above the single motor (a couple of rolls of pennies for example). That might be enough to get the traction you need.

Yes, that is an excellent call, for any unpowered wheels, getting rid of the technic axles will help reduce the drag.