Sir Wolf

[TC8] (WIP) Modular Crawler crane

Here is my WIP for TC8. I'm building a modular crawler crane in the style of Fuwa QUY400A.

The crane can be assembled with or without the mast, the main boom can be either with a jib or without. For this purpose I'm building it in a modular way, so that I can change configuration. Here is some of my progress so far.

Here is my modular boom, that I'm going to build several times.

This is the placeholder for my base, while I work on the boom

http://www.brickshel...0912_170045.jpg

This is the "foot" of the boom. The pishpin is used to put the next section of the boom in place while the 3L axels are pushed in to loch the section in to place (I have a pic of that later).

http://www.brickshel...0912_170154.jpg

This is the main boom section. I'm going to make 4 or 5 of these to build my full crane.

http://www.brickshel...0912_170226.jpg

Here is the connection in a closeup

http://www.brickshel...0912_170251.jpg

I have gotten a bit further than that, but sadly, no pics, and I'm traveling for the week :( I'm struggling with the base, since my inspiration, has the cable spools in the boom, which is very hard to do. I might just deviate from the truth and put the cable spools into the main body.

Stay tuned, I'll get more progress in a week. :)

(sorry no images in this post, I'm not allowed to do that [yet, I suspect and hope])

I like this, it looks like a much smaller build than the other WIPs, but i like the idea of a small compact build. I also like the boom design. Nice job :)

I like this, it looks like a much smaller build than the other WIPs, but i like the idea of a small compact build. I also like the boom design. Nice job :)

Thanks! I'm not sure I know how to build big models like most people are doing... :blush:

Nice one. Color scheme reminds me 8288 set :wink:

Yes indeed, that's my basis; it's where most of my crane-like pieces came from originally. I've ordered more in the same colour scheme now. I'm going to make the modular boom sections white, and all other pieces red, so the boom will be white with red accents, and the base will probably be white, with maybe some red thrown in. Also keeping it in a similar scale as that one, but will motorise and sbrick it (probably no driving, though; no space, anyway these things don't drive around a lot once assembled, and travel to the site in pieces.).

This looks really cool

Thanks! I've now managed to make all booms nicely coloured, so that all extension modules are white, while all ends are red. I'll add pictures tomorrow.

This is going to be very nice, scale well chosen! :wub::thumbup: Would like to build one someday myself, but in scale 1:17,5. So I am going to need much more parts... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks! I plan to build a cockpit for a minifig into it. It's been a challenge to build so small. Take for instance placement of the motors for the cable spools.

img_20151022_183327_small.jpg

Excuse the mess in the background. The L-Motor controls the spool for the hook, while the M-Motor controls the auxiliary cable that will raise and lower the jib (when there is no jib in play, it will be disconnected.

Is there a hidden ratchet in there? Or are you relying on the resistance of the motor to not have the spools back-driven by the weight of whatever you're lifting?

Owen.

Is there a hidden ratchet in there? Or are you relying on the resistance of the motor to not have the spools back-driven by the weight of whatever you're lifting?

Owen.

No ratchet, using motor resistance for these two. Seems to work so far. The M-Motor is linked to a pulley system that increases friction and reduces overall stress on the motor. The L-motor is directly connected to the load. So far it seems to be ok. I might need to implement some kind of a pulley system on the hook if the is not sufficient. But for now it seems to do the job.

The XL motor that controls the whole boom assembly movement is connected via a worm gear and a 24-tooth gear, because it's quite heavy.

img_20151028_182345_small.jpg

The XL-Motor, and the gantry it's connected to. You can also see a bit of the counter-weights.

I have now assembled the boom and mast and jib, and done some preliminary lifts. And then I realized that I wanted a different string as my cable :sadnew: so I ended up with a bit of a mess, but sorted it out eventually. I really like the new rope I use. It's the official lego rope, same as they use for the cables with round studs at the ends. Amazing stuff!

img_20151028_182307_small.jpg

Here you can see the whole crane from the tip of the jib :tongue: See how thick that cable is!?

And finally a sneak peek at the cockpit, very much WIP.

img_20151028_182410_small.jpg

I think I'm done?

img_20151029_184732_small.jpg

The new and improved cabin, technic-style. I also enlarged the dashboard with more instruments. The operator now has more things to look at! :P I also created a trivial tilting system for the cabin.

img_20151029_184817_small.jpg

Here it is, the beast. In this picture you can see the full configures crane with all the modules engaged. I'll make one more white segment, but shorter, to extend the stumpy mast a bit (it's actually 2 modules connected without a middle part.

The body of the crane is quite large to contain all the motors and counter-weights.

img_20151029_184751_small.jpg

A close-up picture of the crane main body, showing the boxy cover and the simplistic cabin.

All in all, I'm quite happy with it. It turned out mostly as I wanted. The centre of gravity is pretty spot on the turntable and the counterweights allow the crane to extend the boom both forward and up.

Functions

* RC via SBrick with control to the 3 motors:

1. M-motor controls the lifting and lowering of the jib

2. L-Motor controls the hook

3. XL-Motor controls the gantry which in turn sters the elevation of the boom.

* Turntable turns (not motorized)

* Tracks move (also not motorized)

* Easy access battery box.

* Cabin tilts

Modular Crawler Crane

Features and Functions

* RC via SBrick with control to the 3 motors:

1. M-motor controls the lifting and lowering of the jib

2. L-Motor controls the hook

3. XL-Motor controls the gantry which in turn sters the elevation of the boom.

* Turntable turns (not motorized)

* Tracks move (also not motorized)

* Easy access battery box.

* Cabin tilts

3 Configurations

img_20151030_153454.jpg

Lattice jib only

img_20151030_144417.jpg

Lattice jib + mast

img_20151030_135215.jpg

Lattice flying luffing jib + mast

Cabin detail

img_20151030_133303.jpg

Dare devil construction workers

img_20151030_133209-effects.jpg

Video (thanks to miguev for helping me film it)

Discussion thread

Can moderators please remove WIP :) This thing is now ready!