Sign in to follow this  
zux

[MOC] My vision of Mercedes-Benz truck of year 2045

As some of you may know LEGO is running a Technic Building Competition with Mercedes-Benz. I was looking forward to participate and it took me a while to understand what future truck would look like. Initial idea of building truck driven by both front and back axles was quite simple to implement. Two L-motors have been used for that. Steering is performed by Servo motor and truck is controlled remotely. Fun fact - chassis without aerodynamic cover is somewhat reversible and can be used up side down. Final model is very sturdy thanks to slick and strong body.

21597224592_4d66e6a174_c.jpg

Unfortunately, due to selected width rear axle is somewhat less reliable and has gear grinding upon start but drives normally afterwards. This is something wasn't possible to completely solve having double wheels per each side.

21420552220_9a1374ba1c_c.jpg[/url]

Below you can check my vision of a truck in year 2045:

There are number of reasons why 2045 truck will look similar and different at the very same time:

Lack of driver - some cars already can drive using only cameras, lasers and GPS and will be well developed in next 30 years. Micro management/control (on site, parking lot) could be performed by person nearby the truck (via remote control) when access is granted. Potentially truck can run indefinitely - taking break to pickup new load and recharge.

Propulsion - such vehicle would be powered by electric motors on all wheel for better traction and efficiency.

Safety - Unfortunately front car vs. truck accident is most lethal type of an accident at the moment. To eliminate this there are more front space for deformation in case of an accident, since conventional cars still will be used.

Cabin - since driver is no longer required, cabin is not really needed, everything for truck to function will be stored in the bottom/chassis. However aerodynamic shield in form similar to current cabin will be used. I believe it be a good design feature and ability to adjust truck for required conditions (in case of no load transport or higher/lower/oversized trailer) with easy-to-change feature.

LEGO model itself is a dynamic creation. It has two L-motors for propulsion, one per each axle making all wheel drive and very similar to my vision of 2045 truck. Steering is performed by Servo motor. And all this can be controlled remotely with PF-controller.

21420748218_cfc7ab35f7_b.jpg

21420749618_8c42dc0cc5_c.jpg

Few more pictures can be found on my Flickr

Stats:

2 L-motors for propulsion

Servo motor for steering

Small non-rechargeable battery box

44 studs long

17 studs wide

24 studs tall

weights 1098g.

no suspension

So the contest has ended quite a while ago and I have received my copy of 42043 MB Arocs set (yay!) since I finished as a runner-up.

Here's the photo with both my entry and Arocs

23033290416_ae6ba55300_b.jpgMB 2015 - 2045

Arocs seems to a bit bigger while tyres and body width are the same.

Edited by zux

So the contest has ended quite a while ago and I have received my copy of 42043 MB Arocs set (yay!) since I finished as a runner-up.

Awesome! Great work!