I just wanted to show you the status of my project for the TC8 contest.

So I opted for a Fast Erecting Crane after watching

from Cranes Etc on YouTube, being fascinated with the unfolding action of it, and wanting to build something different from what I've done before. It is loosely based on the Liebherr 81K, at least in regards to functions, but the looks are a bit more difficult to get right. :blush:

First and foremost, this is not very Technical in terms of gears and stuff, but rather a study in truss construction (fundamental in most engineering disciplines), and using pulleys and cables (ropes) to achieve the desired functions. The main jib is close to a meter long when unfolded, but due to the truss construction and guy lines, it is pretty much perfectly straight/level, even if it's hinged only in one point. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Like I mentioned in aminich's topic, I've had some problems to take pictures of it as it is very large when erected, but I'll try to take some tomorrow. I have a couple of pics of it in folded configuration.

First, here it is on its dollies (I'll probably throw together a quick truck to go with it), all folded and ready for transport. The key function I wanted in this MOC is to have the actual foldability modeled reasonably accurate, so it will be able to go from this state to fully erected and ready for action in a manner similar to the real life counterpart.

800x533.jpg

And next it is sat on its independently adjustable outriggers in the grass, waiting to be extended/unfolded:

800x533.jpg

The outriggers seem to do their job.. There are four of them, in an X-configuration. I haven't done the counterweight assebly yet, but I hope five AA battery boxes will do the trick if placed correctly, as I don't have any more :laugh:

The main tower (yellow) has room for the inner tower (black) that is 5x5 in cross section. It extends to roughly twice the height it is in the picture. The jib consists of three parts; the black one (innermost) and two yellow ones (middle and outermost). The LBG parts are part of the guying system. I know it looks a bit messy, but trust me, it looks a lot more impressive when fully erected/extended :grin::thumbup: Unfortunately, due to not having done the counterweight system yet, it would topple over if I tried to get a picture of it now.

Anyway, still some issues to figure out, mostly in regards to the counterweights, but also a good solution for the hoist rope, and the trolley.

Hope to have some more progress done by tomorrow!

I saw this kind of crane while watching every crane video i could on youtube. I knew someone would try and build this!! I love it and it is fairly compact. Nice job!! Keep us posted on updates..

D3K,

really interesting... I like that everyone got somwthing a little bit other... It will be very good contest... :) Good work... :)

Max...

Looks good so far, and I'm pretty sure all of us visited Cranes Etc's channel during research :wink: I remember seeing the video you're talking about a while ago so I hope you can pull it off as well as the model-maker did :thumbup:

Looks good so far, and I'm pretty sure all of us visited Cranes Etc's channel during research :wink: I remember seeing the video you're talking about a while ago so I hope you can pull it off as well as the model-maker did :thumbup:

Haha, yeah, it's a pretty good resource! Think I've seen most of his videos since getting back into Lego :laugh:

Made a makeshift system for the counterweights and to raise the crane today, and took it out for some pictures, and the limitations of Lego became apparent pretty quickly: It is plastic.

It was pretty funny actually, as even this relatively small scale model was swaying back and forth in the wind! :laugh:

Anyway, I took some pics to give you an idea of the size and shape of it when erected, some more and in higher resolution in the WIP Bricksafe folder

800x533.jpg

800x499.jpg

800x533.jpg

Beautiful! You know what? I got maybe 10 battery boxes laying unused on the shelf and I do not want to sell them right from that reason what I see on picture... Usefull counterweight... :D :D :D

I'm not big fan of static or tower cranes but this one will I probably build... It's movable and folding... A lot of fun to play with...

I like the crane very much... :)

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

They have these everywhere in the region I am in in France! Top stuff as always

Edited by Nalyd997

This is a nice one! I like how you modelled the triangular lattice jib boom. Very clever how you avoided building a tricky angle but still convey the same thing!

Can't wait to see it in action!

Also wow, you've come so far already! :thumbup: