Sign in to follow this  
drdesignz

A half ton of Lego

Literally, a half ton.

I found a massive collection for sale. I would greatly appreciate your opinion on what it is worth.

I have uploaded all of the pictures here:

http://imgur.com/a/XYcOe

To summarize what's here,

The garage in the first few pictures has several large bins of loose Lego. I've weighed all of them and came up with a total of 350 pounds, which is roughly the weight of the Lego itself without the bins, bags, and boxes.

Not included in this total is a box with a partially assembled Star Wars Death Star model. Unfortunately, this is incomplete and dusty. The minifigures I noticed weren't all from that set and they're not all there either. I notice there's no picture of it, although I remember taking one. Let's say it's 75% complete.

The dining room in the following pictures has the best stuff. There were a handful of polybags, including a couple Clone Troopers. Easily the most valuable items are the modular buildings:

• 10182 Cafe Corner
  • 10197 Fire Brigade
  • 10211 Grand Emporium
  • 10218 Pet Shop
  • 10224 Town Hall
  • 10232 Palace Cinema

Obviously, Cafe Corner is the big one.

Additionally, there are two large ships, 4184 The Black Pearl and 79008 Pirate Ship Ambush. I couldn't tell for sure that they were both complete.

The storage unit, the individual picture after that, is entirely bulk Lego in plastic storage bins. They're almost all the same size, which I've weighed eight of at forty pounds. At an average of five each, there are 94 bins, two of which I've doubled due to being about twice the size, I've estimated this total weight to be about 480 pounds. Also, to clarify, this lot isn't entirely unsorted. These bins appear to be completely sorted, as different types of parts are grouped into Ziplock bags. Some bags are labeled, some bins are also labeled.

The pictures after the storage unit is the remainder of the collection. For the most part it's all bulk Lego. Without removing all of the contents of the drawers, and weighing everything from there or elsewhere, based on previous measurements I think there is roughly close to a couple hundred pounds, which puts the grand total of all bulk Lego from each location to be very close to 1,000 pounds, if not a little more. This figure does not include the complete, to mostly complete, sets in the listed above or below.

A few of the notable sets I found:

• 7662 Trade Federation MTT
  • 75020 Jabba's Sail Barge
  • 10236 Ewok Village
  • 10222 Winter Village Post Office
  • 10229 Winter Village Cottage
  • 79111 Constitution Train Chase
  • 7676 Republic Attack Gunship
  • 70814 Emmet's Construct-o-Mech
  • 75025 Jedi Defender-class Cruiser
  • 10193 Medieval Market Village
  • 10217 Diagon Alley
  • 8098 Clone Turbo Tank
  • 10937 Arkham Asylum Breakout
  • 6211 Imperial Star Destroyer
  • 8039 Venator-Class Republic Attack Cruiser
  • 21108 Ghostbusters Ecto-1

I would consider everything else in that room to be bulk Lego. One big concern I have with it all is the smell. I'm not sure if this is an issue for sure. But it should be considered. There used to be nine cats living in that house.

I've come up with a few numbers. I've considered a value for all bulk Lego together, as if it would be sold as is in one shot, as well as broken up into smaller increments. Ideally, it would be worth a ridiculous amount. But consider that these pieces aren't being sold individually via Bricklink. And I've considered a value of all the sets listed here, assuming they are complete, or can be completed.

Given the condition you have to factor in the massive labor in washing, sorting, and inventorying the sets. That is much more difficult then adding up the value of sets and then taking a guess at what percentage is completable. The price has to be much, much lower than what all the sets would be worth if complete and good condition. Even sorted I can't see pricing the bulk at more than $5-8 / lb, knowing it must be washed and the huge quantity. The sets maybe 25% of what you'd expect to sell them for if they were complete an good shape?

Ultimately I think it must be asked whether you are helping sell, or buying.

Edited by Vorkosigan

The majority of it is washed and sorted, fortunately. The bins in the garage and storage unit are sorted by type and labeled, as well as some of the Lego room contents (the built-in drawers). I've taken a good look at everything and the sets I have listed are worth saving, in my opinion. There are probably another ten or so smaller sets that might be worth the effort, but I'm considering everything everything except my list above to be bulk.

I'm primarily helping however I can to sell the sets. That may or may not mean I'll end up with a portion, or even all of it, myself.

What a collection, that makes mine look like a few bags of elemnts, I have collection evny. Without full set list and competion rates its very hard to price. What is the guy willing to take? if you can get it for $5 per lb its okay. on a bulk collection that big I would try to barging down another dollar or two per lb.

I would recommend selling the complete sets separately. It will be a bit more work, but from the looks of your pictures you already have the large ones sorted out. After this, Try selling the minifigures separate, or in small lots. You'll be able to get a lot more money if you sell in a bunch of smaller lots, rather than one 1000lb lot.

are you planning on selling any of this at the moment as I am interested in the modular and the constitution train chase if they are at a reasonable price.

Great Bulk though

-RailCo

P.S. I f you come across more train sets i would be interested in those too.

Edited by Rail Co

Hi, I'm collecting minifigures, so i would be very happy if you sell me some star wars, harry potter and collectable minifigures. So can you sell me some figures?

Hi mate,

I'm very interested in the corner cafe and town hall if you still have them for sale and would ship to the uk if you want to sell those would you please message me I'm very interested.

Thank you

Charlie

I don't think he's selling it.... he's looking to figure out a value. When in doubt, just lowball it out. It's value is only gonna be determined by what someone is willing to pay for it. Definitely factor in the work you'll have to go throught to move it, inventory, clean, etc. Play hardball. :wink: Not too hard. Negotiation is key.

Edited by Junior Shark

Sign in to follow this