Sign in to follow this  

Thoughts on using non-Lego motors for Technic RC?

Hello,

I realize Technic motors are very slow compared to RC motors, even considering that Lego bodywork is heavier (the fastest Lego car I have heard of, based on a quick search, is under 20 mph, while RC cars can hit over 100 mph, just using motor- no jets or anything ridiculous :tongue: ).

If I want to build a faster car are there any small-scale RC motors and batteries you would recommend for speed-record Lego model?

Regards.

I would use the battery and motors of for example the 8675 Outdoor challenger.

I have made a 1:8 scale Knight Rider FLAG semi (not yet published nor finished, although it has been on the Belgian Brickmania events)

that can go over 20Km/h with sheepo's mustang and caterham in the trailer. It uses two of those battery packs and two of those motor units.

Also i have made MOD's of Sheepo's 'stang and caterham with those and they are capable of reaching a speed off 25km/h.

https://www.flickr.c...57650262095995/

Cheers

Tibivi

I have made a 1:8 scale Knight Rider FLAG semi (not yet published nor finished, although it has been on the Belgian Brickmania events)

that can go over 20Km/h with sheepo's mustang and caterham in the trailer. It uses two of those battery packs and two of those motor units.

Also i have made MOD's of Sheepo's 'stang and caterham with those and they are capable of reaching a speed off 25km/h.

https://www.flickr.c...57650262095995/

Cheers

Tibivi

Thanks, the RC motors are slow compared to real RC motors, however, I believe.

Very cool mustang :thumbup:

This debate will always have two sides, each with great arguments.. I would not mix RC components and Lego parts. It fells like a cheating to me, even if we cant produce similar results with Lego motors and batteries.

Will you open the wip topic for this? am very interested to see loaded 1:8 truck speeding at 20km/h using only Lego parts. :)

Edited by Milan

Wouldn't it be easier to grab a RC car frame and glue a LEGO body to it. Then you don't have to worry about shredding plastic gears and stuff.

Wouldn't it be easier to grab a RC car frame and glue a LEGO body to it. Then you don't have to worry about shredding plastic gears and stuff.

Good idea, too much non-Lego, though.

This debate will always have two sides, each with great arguments.. I would not mix RC components and Lego parts. It fells like a cheating to me, even if we cant produce similar results with Lego motors and batteries.

Will you open the wip topic for this? am very interested to see loaded 1:8 truck speeding at 20km/h using only Lego parts. :)

Hmm, I am aware some feel this, though it has absolutely nothing to do with my question.

Hmm, I am aware some feel this, though it has absolutely nothing to do with my question.

Your topic title is a question: Thoughts on using non-Lego motors for Technic RC?

So, same as dr Spock, I have just expressed my thought.

Cheers

Tibivi

Did you change the shocks? Or perhaps the new tires absorb some of the impact.... b/c I have also modified Sheepo's Mustang with an RC motor and although the RC motor was capable of going faster I could go nowhere near 20 km/h b/c the thing bounced around too much. The back end is too heavy.

Also.... check out this thread:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114558

for some information.

My site:

http://mocpages.com/moc.php/412797

has the information on how I incorporated the RC motor in the mustang.

The argument, as mentioned by Milan, has multiple sides each carrying great points. However, like you mentioned, discussing the pros and cons of RC incorporation into Lego models was not the purpose of your post. For what it is worth, I also have lots of interest in incorporating RC components into Lego models. I have something in the works that I think will really be influential in making Lego models faster and more durable, but I will wait b/c I want things to be a surprise. :sweet:

Lastly, check out TechnicRobot on youtube. There is a lot of info. regarding your question on his/her channel.

Did you change the shocks? Or perhaps the new tires absorb some of the impact.... b/c I have also modified Sheepo's Mustang with an RC motor and although the RC motor was capable of going faster I could go nowhere near 20 km/h b/c the thing bounced around too much. The back end is too heavy.

@Milan:

I will first have to take some better pictures, but i will certainly make a topic.

@nerdsforprez:

I redesigned the chassis off the mustang so i could mount the RC motor unit and steering unit.

For the RC were the motor unit, steering and battery unit from 8675 used, so it's still lego,

and i used the wheels from the 'sunset cruiser' on the mustang.

lego 8675:

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?S=8675-1#T=S&O={"ii":1}

Wheels:

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=45793c02&idColor=77#T=C&C=77

Tibivi

Another half-lego idea is to use modified M-Motors. I have no idea how they work but they're on youtube so they must be true :tongue:. It says that they can reach speeds of 40km/h and I don't doubt it from watching the video:

Edited by Technic Jim

Another half-lego idea is to use modified M-Motors. I have no idea how they work but they're on youtube so they must be true :tongue:. It says that they can reach speeds of 40km/h and I don't doubt it from watching the video:

During the development of early PF parts in 2006-7 I did experiment with an early prototype M-motor by removing one set of planet gears. This increases the speed by about 3x.

However, it is not so optimal at getting the best power and torque out of the motor. It was also a bit temperamental.

It does raise the possibility that TLG could supply a motor on that basis; I would hope for an L-motor with a single set of planet gears. It would have about 1200rpm but the torque would be lower.

In terms of uses it would be better for aircraft propellers, not cars, though a typical propeller speed is 1600rpm.

This means a motor more suited to wheel drives should be chosen. The motor from 8421 crane is no longer supplied but was the best for direct wheel drives. An RS380 motor might not be too powerful for LEGO, but the revs are so high that a proprietary gearbox down to 4000rpm would be advisable, before using any LEGO gears in the geartrain; otherwise a high wear rate of LEGO gears would be expected. An RS540 motor is certainly too powerful - see separate thread.

Mark

It does raise the possibility that TLG could supply a motor on that basis; I would hope for an L-motor with a single set of planet gears. It would have about 1200rpm but the torque would be lower.

In terms of uses it would be better for aircraft propellers, not cars, though a typical propeller speed is 1600rpm.

I liked the old 20:1 planet drives that could be added in series with the 4.5V motors. This made it very easy to adjust torque and speed as desired, and one of them even had a 90 degree output for driving car axles. Sadly, they only ever came in Supplemental Set 872.

x186.gif768.gif

When it comes to using non LEGO Motors I do it the most purist way to go about it. And that is I try to use NO none LEGO as little I can with the Motor Mod. Its only LEGO the MOTOR and JB-WELD that is it and nothing more. No special screws that haft to match when it come to mounting a LEGO part. Here that LEGO part is there connected with the MOTOR.

001.jpg

When using JB-weld I can take all motors no motor is safe when it comes to using non LEGO Motors. That is why I advocate using JB-weld over the other options out there.One of the best things about using JB-weld to make non LEGO motors is that you can replace the non LEGO motor with an XL motor with out any major changes to the structural frame where the motors is because the Non-LEGO motor has the same mounting points as the XL motor and to me that is purist way.

Also lets not forget where the proper attribution for this building technique below goes.

001.jpg

Do you want speed? :classic:

When it comes to using non LEGO Motors I do it the most purist way to go about it. And that is I try to use NO none LEGO as little I can with the Motor Mod. Its only LEGO the MOTOR and JB-WELD that is it and nothing more. No special screws that haft to match when it come to mounting a LEGO part. Here that LEGO part is there connected with the MOTOR.

001.jpg

When using JB-weld I can take all motors no motor is safe when it comes to using non LEGO Motors. That is why I advocate using JB-weld over the other options out there.One of the best things about using JB-weld to make non LEGO motors is that you can replace the non LEGO motor with an XL motor with out any major changes to the structural frame where the motors is because the Non-LEGO motor has the same mounting points as the XL motor and to me that is purist way.

Also lets not forget where the proper attribution for this building technique below goes.

001.jpg

Know how that guy got that car up to 46 MPH??

Also, how do I buy those non-Lego for-Lego motors, and what battery pack/receiver is used?

Know how that guy got that car up to 46 MPH??

Also, how do I buy those non-Lego for-Lego motors, and what battery pack/receiver is used?

I guess your asking me this. Important thing is you got to have a very solid construction around the gear train for the model to get up to 46km/h with the BLDC motor. You can have the fastest motor around but what good does that do for you if you cant transfer that power with your LEGO build. Another thing to consider is that is there any 3d printed parts required here for this to work properly. It would be a shame to get all the required RC parts for the Lego RC conversion and then the project just comes to a stop by some 3d printed part or a bad construction job. Remember you just spent all this money for this awesome RC system you don't want that all come to a stop by some improvised solution that they forgot to show you. Also another thing to consider is how well do the parts handle the RC mod. The guy has a list of all the RC parts he used in the description.

I guess your asking me this. Important thing is you got to have a very solid construction around the gear train for the model to get up to 46km/h with the BLDC motor. You can have the fastest motor around but what good does that do for you if you cant transfer that power with your LEGO build. Another thing to consider is that is there any 3d printed parts required here for this to work properly. It would be a shame to get all the required RC parts for the Lego RC conversion and then the project just comes to a stop by some 3d printed part or a bad construction job. Remember you just spent all this money for this awesome RC system you don't want that all come to a stop by some improvised solution that they forgot to show you. Also another thing to consider is how well do the parts handle the RC mod. The guy has a list of all the RC parts he used in the description.

Thanks for the advice. :thumbup: I have 3D printer, should be no problem.