ScotNick

Bricksby station - starting a layout [WIP]

Hi guys!

Just recently I got the idea to build a small layout including a station with two platforms and a siding and shed. The town's is called Bricksby, named after.... I guess you know what :wink:

As the town is just made up I also needed to build the station from imagination and some pics to get some ideas :laugh:

Here's the first pic:

21345719369_af85937e57_b.jpgBricksby Station by ScotNick1, on Flickr

The taxi is Tim Gould's design, but I might build it as well. The engine is an Ivatt Atlantic and will transport passengers to Bricksby. I plan to build her in dark green as that is the closest colour to the real engine in my opinion.

Here are some different views of the station

21541371821_34caf99a81_b.jpg

20911511393_1a4d332216_b.jpg

(the white guy is just there to illustrate how a minifig fits in the whole scene)

bricksby_station02.png

bricksby_station03.png

I hope you like it and am open to suggestions to improve the look. Especially the back side (street side) looks very plain to me and needs some rework but there are other ways to change the appearance as well.

e.g. I tried add some white, but I think it looks worse like that:

bricksby_station04.png

Cheers,

Nick

Maybe a trash can, and/or a "rain drainage" pipe running vertical 1-2 in studs from the back corner?

It's a great structure, I suspect just a few decor/detail touches will give the backside the pop you're hoping for.

Thanks guys for your comments!

I'm a little limited right now as I'm not at home during the week, but Im still glad you gave me some input where to start working.

Maybe a trash can, and/or a "rain drainage" pipe running vertical 1-2 in studs from the back corner?

It's a great structure, I suspect just a few decor/detail touches will give the backside the pop you're hoping for.

Yeah you're totally right! In fact I just realized that I didn't consider that aspect ina any moc I made. I'm glad you came up with that point!

Thanks for the input you guys gave me, I'll work on it on the weekend.

Cheers,

Nick

Out back of the station, how about a couple of benches (and on the platform), newspaper stand (the kind with a vendor inside?), a picket fence made out of 1x4 tiles, some plants, a mailbox, a phone booth, just all sorts of little details.

Been some time since I last posted in this topic (can't believe it's been 4 years!)

As I've now built my platform bridge some time ago I thought I'd finally give it a go and want to build that station building too. 

But before that, I made some changes and wanted to ask you what you think

0_bricksby_station_building.jpg

Changed the back door entrance to pop out a little bit more and make it less plain. Also added the 3 tall windows at the left and a rain gutter drainage (and LDD went crazy as I wanted to bend it at the bottom :laugh:).

What do you think of the changes? Any suggestions? 

Edited by ScotNick

That looks really nice. Only thought would be if there are typically station signs on the sides of the station then it would be good to mimic those (presumably that varies by country and perhaps legacy railway)

7 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

That looks really nice. Only thought would be if there are typically station signs on the sides of the station then it would be good to mimic those (presumably that varies by country and perhaps legacy railway)

I agree - I I’m judging the time / style location right then you’d be looking at:

• BR plainish White bar which is not super exciting but there are some great older signs.

• GNR/LNER were white on black then changed to white in green. 
Can you Brick build something like this?

hebden-bridge-station-03.jpg

16 hours ago, ScotNick said:

and a rain gutter drainage (and LDD went crazy as I wanted to bend it at the bottom

There is a couple lengths of flex rod that does this in mine to ... Just use a different rod of same length.

I like the revisions to the rear...

Thanks guys!

@zephyr1934 @NotToScale

Yes, agree with you about the sign! I do intend to make the platform modular with the signs on a different part of the platform.

Here is a render from 2 years ago (can't believe I didn't post this)

24814139518_066acabecb_c.jpgBricksby Station by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Interesting what you say about the colour of the signs though, never thought about making them black - will think about that.

The bridge and a bit of the platform in the upper pic is already built

30176577917_f13df21111_c.jpgon the way by ScotNick1, on Flickr

But just recently redid the front of the station to have a larger canopy that makes some nice use of parts, created some new benches and planted some flowers to add some green :laugh:

bricksby_station_building.jpg

Thoughts on the changes?

Edited by ScotNick

16 hours ago, ScotNick said:

bricksby_station_building.jpg

Thoughts on the changes

I think this gives it a certain quaintness that gives is a better "British" feel lol

Also it looks as though the canopy had been added at a much later date since its Iron and not stone so it gives the idea the station has been there some time.

@kiwinewt Haha, had to get my hands on those brown fence pieces as soon as I saw them - I knew I'd put them to good use :grin:

@Pdaitabird Thanks! I'll see how this will develop... :laugh:

@Roadmonkeytj Thanks, seems like I got the style right :sweet: 

Edited by ScotNick