ataripirate

needing to figure out a ratchet and free spinning fan

I am trying to create a hand powered fan. I am not familiar with some of the options that exist with the technic system, I have seen them but never had the chance to use them.

What I am wanting to do is have a lever push in and spring out, ( I believe I will have to rig up a spring) the lever get pushed in and spins a gear, this turns a gear up top with a fan attached to it. as the lever comes back to its starting position, it can not spin the gear backwards, similar to a ratchet, unless there is another way to do it, I have looked at setups like a train piston on the wheels.

at the top, the fan will spin with the gear movement, but continue to spin after the gear has stopped - never used a lego clutch gear, maybe this would work?

working on a rough draft drawing of the design

ask any questions, if I left anything out, just ask

thanks

Bobby

Flying a helicopter takes a great deal of coordination. Rather than subject helicopter pilots to complicated aptitude tests, regulatory authorities just make them do sweet dance moves as shown.

I love these objective reviews! :laugh_hard:

The old Designer Set 4403 Air Blazers features one of the best implementations of this idea. Although the spinning rotor action is activated by squeezing the helicopter's bum to make a "scissor" assembly push the rack forward, it does have that nifty ratchet:

4403_spinny.png

Not shown: the elastic band on the end of the rack to make it return. When the rack springs back, the 24Z gear (still spinning in the opposite direction from the energy of the rotors) would normally stop it, but it's hinged on an armature which instead causes it to skip.

This set has that type of mechanism

2010_3.jpgIt works very nicely :thumbup:

Edited by JJ2

Another set with a similar mechanism is the Lego Creator Set 31011.

There you can move the backwheel of the landing gear back and forth to spin the prop of the airplane.

31011L_1_B.jpg