MrLee

REVIEW: 75103 First Order Transporter

75103 First Order Transporter™ Review

By Michael Lee

Set No: 75103

Pieces: 792

Ages: 9-14

£79.99/$89.99

Battle with the First Order Transporter with spring-loaded shooters, stud shooter, opening ramp, 7 minifigures, removable top and more.

Introduction

My first foray into Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens sets.

Standing in the aisle of a local toy shop, crouched down next to the shelf (clearly designed to lure in wide-eyed kids) casting my eyes over each set on display. This was all charade though – I knew which one I wanted and nothing was going to persuade me otherwise.

Today I am going to be doing a review of 75103 – The First Order Troop Transport.

Weighing in at just shy of 800 pieces, this is the third largest set of the wave. Packs 7 new minifigures based on the film, and has a fair few play features to boot.

The Box

FOT01.png

FOT02.png

I really like the new box art, not just Lego but across all of the merchandise. I have bought a number of Hasbro products and the red and black packaging is striking and eye catching.

Typical Lego affair this one, jazzed up graphic on the front, showcasing all the minifigures in the set, flip it over, and you’ll find some nice images of all of the various play features and accessories. Kylo Ren adorns the banner next to the ever recognisable Lego logo.

What’s inside?

6 Numbered bags, each containing one stage of the build, with the minifigures distributed across all the bags.

FOT03.png

The single instruction book is a quite hefty 135 pages, and the sticker sheet is neatly packed with it.

The Build

FOT04.png

Bag 1 contains all of the parts to build the first part of the frame, and 2 First Order Stormtroopers.

FOT05.png

FOT06.png

FOT07.png

I have pictured 2 of the parts that use the sticker sheet – the control panel and some deco on the inside of the transporter.

You can see the start of one of the play features here, nothing particularly interesting other than that. A part technic part brick built frame, it is a sturdy base for the rest of the model.

FOT08.png

Bag 2 is the formation of the hull, and where you can really start to see the shape of the main bulk of the model. A very straightforward brick built hull.

FOT09.png

FOT10.png

Bag 3 is a lot of detailing. The side panels are all SNOT, easily attaching to the side of the hull. The end result is quite a smooth look to the model. This bag also contains 2 resistance soldiers.

FOT24.png

FOT25.png

Bag 4’s main focus is the engines on the back of the vehicles. Brickbuilt that are held on by Technic at angles. Details are finished off by some nice trans blue parts in typical Star Wars fashion.

FOT11.png

FOT12.png

FOT13.png

Bags 5 and 6 wrap up the build, and also the last 3 minifigures in the set: Captain Phasma, and 2 Flametroopers. Again, nothing particularly complex about this part of the build. The pilot’s cockpit has a couple of stickers on it. I don’t particularly like the sticker for the front of the cockpit, seems a bit of a cop out. Would like to actually see some trans black here, but I don’t hate it either.

Final build and play features

FOT17.png

FOT18.png

So you’ve built the model, time to get stuck into some of the features and functions.

FOT14.png

They have done a good job adding in some nice play features into the model. I’ll start with the underside. There are actually 4 trans clear wheels underneath which make rolling this model along the floor really easy. The vehicle is quite large, and just improves the general manoeuvrability of the vehicle along the ground. This feature has come at the cost of any sort of handles elsewhere though, which means swooshing it around (as the trailers have shown us this is a flying vehicle after all) in the air will be difficult for the little ones. Personally I’m impartial to carry handles, as long as they don’t come at the detriment of the aesthetic of the kit.

FOT16.png

FOT15.png

This is clearly inspired by LCA’s of WW2, and this was one of the draws for me. I love the opening hatch at the front of the vehicle. A lever on the rear of the vehicle opens and closes this door with ease. Plenty of room to get your minifigs in and out of the craft, to rain down terror on the resistance. Of course it would be a huge waste of space if you couldn’t access the main part of the ship, so the roof lifts off, to give you complete uninhibited access to the crafts internals. Plenty of space for 4- 6 figs, and probably more if you get creative with arrangements.

FOT19.png

The pilot’s cockpit is a bit make or break for some. It does stick out a bit but looks correct for source material. I already mentioned that I would prefer a trans windscreen, perhaps similar to what they did with the last AT-TE. The current solution is by no means unsightly though. Back hatch opens to slide the pilot in and out. The pilot actually goes in standing. I’m sure they will have tired legs by the end of a long skirmish.

Flick fire missiles and stud shooters finish off the model. Love them or hate them, they’re here to stay. 10 year old me would have loved them, as they can shoot surprisingly far. AFOL me tends to remove them.

FOT26.png

The most interesting play feature is probably the opening gunners hatch. Turn the dial and the gunner is supposed to pop out of the hatch ready for battle. It can be a bit temperamental, as you have to rotate the dial pretty fast to get it to flip all the way open and stay open. Could be fiddly for young hands. I actually went “cool!” when I first saw this feature in action. I like it anyway.

Minifigures

FOT20.png

Captain Phasma.

Let’s be honest it is the main reason the majority will buy this set. She’s quite well represented here, the cape finishes the look. No face underneath though, just a black head piece. In all fairness though, I don’t feel cheated as we don’t even know if she will take her helmet off/it might be spoilerific so I can let it go. Her blaster is a new colour, moulded in silver. Crisp front and back printing.

The Stormtroopers are great, regardless of how you feel about their design, it has been translated well to minifg form. Again, crisp front and back print, and the ‘clone heads’ underneath. Do we really expect anything less from TLG these days?

FOT21.png

I love the Flametroopers I really do, and their minifigures are no different. Different helmet to the FO Stormies, and rock brick built tanks on their backs. These are held on by a trans clear neck piece which is really subtle. Clone heads as well, printing is excellent, mould is good. Hope we see more of these in a battlepack in Jan.

FOT22.png

FOT23.png

The last 2 figures in the set are the resistance troops. 1 male and 1 female, I actually like these. They also have new blasters that are dark grey. Front and back torso print on both, but only the female has a double sided head for some reason.

Value for Money

I don’t really like to talk about this as it is different for everyone. 10p a piece seems about the average for a Star Wars set, and with 7 figures, I feel that I got a lot out of the set.

Final Thoughts

It is odd reviewing set based on a film you haven’t seen as you are literally assessing the merit of the set in front of you rather than how you felt about it on screen.

I am very happy with this set. It isn’t perfect, but from the little we have seen of it, it seems accurate enough for a kid’s toy, and the minifigure selection is great. 4 Troops, Phasma, and 2 resistance fighters who won’t stand a chance. No complaints from me.

Play features are good, and don’t feel too forced. I’m a fan of boring grey boxes with greebling, so this vehicles ticks the boxes for me. I can see why some would not like the design of this vehicle, but that is not the purpose of this review.

I like the details, I like the figures, I like the play features, so should you buy this set? Yes. I was happy to part with hard earned money for this, more so compared to the low-mid range products such as Rey’s Speeder or the Snowspeeder (which I also wanted but was underwhelmed in hand).

This will look great among my Clones and Imperials.

I have my fledgling First Order Army now, and TLG will have me won if we get a nice FO Stormie Battlepack to complement this set in Jan.

Edited by MrLee

I'd quite like to pick this up but the FO Stormtroopers will look a bit off next to an army of OT ones.

Thanks for the great review Michael :thumbup:

I can't seem to muster much enthusiasm for the Episode VII sets at the moment, but perhaps that will change when I've seen the movie. If not, I'll only be getting it if I see one at 40% off, as it seems like quite a reasonable grey parts pack.

As a WWII history fan I also like the inspiration of this design. I don't love the look, but at 30-40% off I'd certainly buy it for the figs and parts. Great review!

I can't seem to muster much enthusiasm for the Episode VII sets at the moment, but perhaps that will change when I've seen the movie.

I feel the same way - the new sets don't have much pizzaz to them. I wonder how the sales of the sets are for the mainstream public? Pretty much all the stores around here (Toronto, Canada) have e plenty of stock - it doesn't look like anything is flying off the shelves.

I built this the other night. I like everything about it except the top-mounted shooters. When the film comes out, I wouldn't be surprised if there's nothing there, or at least much less obtrusive. The new Stormtroopers, though... :wub:

Great review, thanks for posting.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is feeling lukewarm about the new TFA sets. This one is at the top of my list, but I'm not in any rush to buy the sets. Like you guys said, its probably because I haven't seen the movie. Once December rolls around I might be more inclined to break open my wallet.

However, this set will probably end up in my collection sooner than that. ;)

I only loved this set after I had built it. The biggest incentive for me to get it was the figures, and I'll tell you, they don't disappoint!

Thanks for the kind words folks.

I feel like such a noob for asking this, but what is this source material that you are referring to?

I was only referring to the two teaser trailers and the databank entry on the official Star Wars website for this vehicle. Still no clear shots of this thing yet :)

bought one on force Friday and really enjoyed it, and since then I've been considering getting a second one. but all 3 local stores have been sold out of this set for weeks now, all the others are still around but not this one. (also constraction Vader is sold out too) so I'm guessing its doing well over all.

I really like the look of this vehicle, and the FO troopers look amazing. However due to the price of a wife and kids (for whom I am buying other Lego items...), I've had to pass this FO Transporter as an idea for Christmas.....so I am hoping, praying even, that someone picks up on my ideas list.

Waiting to see if the film is any good before considering any TFA sets. But I will say the orignal source material design for this ship is pretty bad: If I'm a rebel gunner or X-wing pilot I know which bit I'm aiming for: Wouldn't want to be the poor stormtrooper who gets to man that portaloo on the roof.

Edited by Missing Brick

Which reminds me, I did see the new Star Destroyer and I am convinced that I CANNOT see a bridge tower.....perhaps they have learnt their lessons from Endor!

I really hope there will be cheaper way to get Captain Phasma...

In terms of value and playability, this set is great and even feels like a steal compared to the other TFA sets. But utimately, it's a fairly boring ground transport that has a low chance of being as memorable as a Sandcrawler or AT-AT

I really hope there will be cheaper way to get Captain Phasma...

In terms of value and playability, this set is great and even feels like a steal compared to the other TFA sets. But utimately, it's a fairly boring ground transport that has a low chance of being as memorable as a Sandcrawler or AT-AT

It does feel good value. On amazon there is £12 off right now!

It does feel good value. On amazon there is £12 off right now!

Wow that's an incredible deal then, i wasnt expecting any TFA deals until a month or two after the movie. Sadly, no deals on Amazon.ca

If Captain Phasma has a personal starship or vehichle... thats an automatic shoein for a more affordable way to get her.

Great review.

I feel like such a noob for asking this, but what is this source material that you are referring to?

hey zerog270! Sorry for the small off-topic, but I'd like to contact you, is it possible?