kelceycoe

75827 Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters Discussion

Finally got my replacement Slimer in the mail today! Our long national nightmare has come to an end after what was a long month and five days wait... :wink:

The 99% of me absolutely loves this set but there is of course the 1% not. Like always, Lego can never please every AFOL and I weigh the positives with this set and my gripes, well I just need to pound sand. Because this set is a thing of beauty.

My only requests would have been:

-Railings for the stairs. This use to be done on many of the modulars but I've noticed it's been lacking the past year or so.

-A wall and door for the bathroom. How can you sleep if the someone is in the bathroom?

-A wall for the make shift dark room.

-And of course, the sign above the garage door.

It's hard to compromise because the interior shots were from a firehouse out in Los Angeles. I guess that's where I get to create and have fun making modifications to my liking.

-Railings for the stairs.

Minifigures have clutch power. It's their own fault if they fall.

-A wall and door for the bathroom. How can you sleep if the someone is in the bathroom?

That is a moot issue. How can you sleep or defecate with ghosts outside your window?

-A wall for the make shift dark room.

You said it yourself: The darkroom is a makeshift one. The Ghostbusters can put up a blanket or something.

-And of course, the sign above the garage door.

LEGO City zoning laws wouldn't allow it to be any bigger.

Questions for someone who has built the whole thing...

The Jangbricks review said that the sides which open are unstable unless the roof is on. Is this due to a lack of red hinge bricks? Would adding one or two hinged bricks per level help with this? Is there any reason why this couldn't be done?

I've only finished the first floor so I wanted to know before I dig into my loose bricks which are in storage.

Edited by gotoAndLego

I think the big reason is probably color. I don't recall if or where dark red hinge bricks have appeared before, so they'd have to be ordered extra off Bricklink.

Questions for someone who has built the whole thing...

The Jangbricks review said that the sides which open are unstable unless the roof is on. Is this due to a lack of red hinge bricks? Would adding one or two hinged bricks per level help with this? Is there any reason why this couldn't be done?

I've only finished the first floor so I wanted to know before I dig into my loose bricks which are in storage.

It's because of the modular-like build with the different levels coming off. If you add a few hinges, they wouldn't be able to come off like a modular.

It's because of the modular-like build with the different levels coming off. If you add a few hinges, they wouldn't be able to come off like a modular.

You would add the hinges in the same place on level two and three as they are in level 1. It would strengthen each level.

Dark red was used in a lot of sets including the SW ARC-170.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Unless you plan on leaving the sides open without the roof on, then instability is not an issue. The reason for any possible instability is because when the sides are open, the sides of the wall are not on the tiled mat that the building sits on. They hang off the side of the mat. When open with the roof on, there is no instability.

Edited by Cmay91472

I just wanted to make sure there was no technical reason why I couldn't add hinged bricks. As far as I can tell, the only reason to not have hinged bricks is if you wanted to remove those wall panels to display it closed. Otherwise Lego could have easily built it with hinged bricks, especially with how they think model stability is important.

Edited by gotoAndLego

I just bought this set this morning, can't wait to get it through the mail. Until then I'll be working on the Tower Bridge that I just received yesterday. These giant sets are a lot of fun to build imo.

I got that along with the Ecto-1 yesterday in Austria. That's going to be an awesome and long build!

I got that along with the Ecto-1 yesterday in Austria. That's going to be an awesome and long build!

Yes it is quite a long build. I would say I have easily 10 to 12 hours into it so far, and probably another 3 or so to go. I thought it would be easier than the Tower Bridge due to numbered bags. But the amount of detail and micro builds really take some time. So even though you don't spend the time searching for pieces, it still seems to take just as long. It is magnificent though.

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

just got it done, what a fantastic set. I will be doing a video review on it within the next couple of days. I would say it took somewhere around 15-20 hours to build. We didn't build it all in one sitting, we did the bottom floor on the first day, middle floor the next day, and finished it up today. But each day we put in a good 5-9 hours in.

Haha I was kind of hoping nobody would reply to this thread so I could see the conclusion to CPM's building trilogy. :tongue:

Good to hear you like it! I do too. :laugh:

Haha I was kind of hoping nobody would reply to this thread so I could see the conclusion to CPM's building trilogy. :tongue:

Good to hear you like it! I do too. :laugh:

Glad to hear I had you anxiously awaiting every post.

I am building this as we speak, such a beautiful set already. The attention to detail is amazing!!!

Im building it too as we speak , i finished the first ,and second half (not the sides ,which i see slimer in my next bag to open ) its fantastic though eh ? !

Any of you guys who just got it, I recommend moving some of the jumper plates from the top center beam under the roof to the top of the front wall. You can shift some of the tiles from there to the center beam. It will help with the bowing of the roof in the front. Credit to Cmay91472 for the idea.

Edited by JPN366