kelceycoe

75827 Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters Discussion

Nice review.

I don't like what I am hearing about how much an issue it is the open the firehouse. Where you basically need to lift it up to get it over the baseplate. As the reviewer noted, why couldn't the designer allow the baseplate to swing out as well? Also, it only has one hinge on the building, which makes it more unstable when trying to open or close it. Not too happy with this at all.

FBTB's review clearly shows that the roof is hinged too, so when you add the roof, shouldn't that help with the hinging problem?

Maybe our EB review (coming soon) will address that issue. Not trying to be sly here, as I'm not the reviewer. I'm genuinely curious to find out.

Had to go back and look at his pictures, but yes, I see what you mean in regards to a hinge on the top of the building. Maybe the reviewer meant it was 'mainly' hinged on the 1st floor, which has three of them?

This is the portion I was referring to from the review:

"Another issue is that only the 1st floor is hinged. The upper floors have no hinged connection whatsoever between the main building and the two panel that open up. The end result is a lack of stability and more strain being put on the first floor hinges. All the weight is resting on them contributing to the catching issue mentioned previously when trying to close the walls. Had more hinge bricks or plates been used on the upper levels it would have alleviated some of the strain and sag. You can see the gap when it’s opened up. The lack of a hinged baseplate I mentioned earlier just exacerbates the issue even more. The sheer weight of it all makes those wall elements sag and look and feel more fragile. It could be that it was intentionally designed this way to make removing floors easier and that was a compromise the designers were willing to live with. Whatever the reasoning, the $350 model ends up feeling more delicate than it should be."

Also, here is the portion where the reviewer did not like the base plate 'not' rotating out with the building, and having to lift it up (over the base plate):

"Opening the set up can be done in two ways. The most familiar way that’s been shown is by opening the two sides converting the building into a dollhouse playset. Even though the sides of the building swing open, the baseplate is not similarly hinged. I can’t think of any reason why they didn’t construct the floor in such a way that the floor splits apart and swings out with the building parts as this would have been much more stable and easier to handle. Had this been a single-floor playset, it wouldn’t be an issue but on this three-story building when the walls are opened up, the weight of all the bricks causes some sag and pull and inevitably as you try and close the building, the bricks will catch on the baseplate. You’ll have to forcibly lift the sides of the building to get it to go over the tiled base. It’s incredibly annoying."

However, when looking at the pictures again, I can see why the designer (was it Marcus?) did not have the base floor split apart as well. If it did so, you wouldn't be able to set up the inside office area(s) of the bottom floor as the base plate would be rotated out with the building. Or, your office furniture would be rotated out, as well. Either option would not a good one.

Hopefully the issue the reviewer had with the bottom of the floor catching on the baseplate is more of a singular, or uncommon problem, than a problem that is innate with all sets.

Hi, I'm new around here, and I was just wondering if anyone knew if the headquarters would be sold at Toys r' Us UK or any other Stores like Smyths Toys?

Not for a few months, and then only the biggest, baddest stores will have them. (Like Toysrus in Times Square in the US) Otherwise, though I'm not familiar with the UK's operations, stores may have them online.

Seems like nitpicking. Personally I like that the baseplate doesn't open.

The hinge is only a problem if you take the roof off. Looks solid when it is on.

We have come along way with LEGO "dollhouses", this makes the Death Star look sad.

The issue is much less noticeable with the roof on but even with it off, you just have to make sure it clears the tiles on the edge of the baseplate when closing it. Not that hard. I think hinging the baseplate would actually be less stable in the long run. It's already precarious to pick up and move around, though again the roof helps a bit with that.

Kinda related...

TLC now recognizes "LEGO Ghostbusters" as an official LEGO theme. You can see this when you hover the THEMES tab at the LEGO Shop at Home page and it appears. If you browse the pictorial theme page it reuses the IDEAS button but as a theme and currently redirects you to the S@H homepage. (We can assume the LEGO Dimensions sets will appear along side the HQ and Ecto-1 when they are released).

And of course in the January 2016 S@H Catalog:

http://shop.lego.com...-01-usjan_75dpi

Complete with its own LEGO theme logo!!! Only the HQ and Ecto-1 are sold on this page but the online catalog appears distorted on that page and if you advance through it you'll learn why (it's kinda more a surprise if you're a kid, I don't think adults will care all too much).

The Brick Bank is also shown but on the back.

The LEGO CLUB January-February 2016 magazines do NOT promote this theme whatsoever and both red and green brick editions focus on Nexo Knights and Star Wars, understandably.

Edited by kelceycoe

^ Wow! That is really cool, I wonder if they'll keep the reboot set in that theme, or liscence it as the new reboot individually. This is probably a sign that it will be a continuation of the theme.

Edited by Aegis2000

Well if they go the Star Wars route they'll just create a new theme. There's been god knows how many Star Wars subthemes since it first started in 1999?

Well if they go the Star Wars route they'll just create a new theme. There's been god knows how many Star Wars subthemes since it first started in 1999?

Ep. I, Ep. II, Ep. III, Ep. IV, Ep. V, Ep. VI, Ep. VII, EU, Rebels, etc.. Yeah, true.

Ep. I, Ep. II, Ep. III, Ep. IV, Ep. V, Ep. VI, Ep. VII, EU, Rebels, etc.. Yeah, true.

Not all of those have been treated as subthemes by TLG, though (getting their own logos, etc.).

Oh, absolutely, though I dont think there's nearly as much Ghostbusters material to base stuff on as there is Star Wars, in addition to not being as popular. Ghostbusters could get what amounts to a few sets for the original two movies, and a few sets for the new one (and its sequel(s), should it get any), but not the vast wealth of sets Star Wars gets.

In my experience they start selling them on lego.com earlier than they update the free/giveaway for the month. So if you order immediately you get last month's giveaway in the cart (if any.) I've had to wait to 9AM to 10AM Eastern time in the past to get the polybag for the month in my cart.

Never wanted to risk ordering without it showing in my cart.

Not for a few months, and then only the biggest, baddest stores will have them. (Like Toysrus in Times Square in the US) Otherwise, though I'm not familiar with the UK's operations, stores may have them online.

Unfortunately, one of those big, bad stores (TRU at Times Square) is no longer... TRU closes flagship store

Unfortunately, one of those big, bad stores (TRU at Times Square) is no longer... TRU closes flagship store

OMG.. that is so sad to hear, both TrU and F.A.O. Schwarz have closed down.. S@H is not the quite the same.. -There`s other things in the world than Lego, believe it or not.. :laugh: