kelceycoe

75827 Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters Discussion

I'd expect a "Rooftop Showdown" set in the future, with normal Dana, Louis, human Gozer, the GBs, the rooftop, Terror Dogs, and the Marshmallow Man as a separate build. I can't justify a whole apartment building set, but they have to get those characters in a set sometime.

CONFIRMED: A slimed toaster AND the Ecto-1 will fit inside!

Just in case it gets taken down, that is the French product listing for this set found on the S@H site. Here is the description (in French):

Which roughly translates to this in English thanks to Google Translate:

Sounds so cool. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd buy it.

They should do something similar with Shaun of the Dead only smaller and more affordable. Imagine being able to build the Winchester and play with minifigures of Shaun, Philip (Shaun's Stepdad. He could have an alternate zombie face.), Ed (maybe also with alternate zombie face) and Liz (Shaun's girlfriend).

Edited by LEGODalekbuster523

To me it looks like it opens completely. Plus you can take the roof/floor off.

Looking forward to January.

Better start now saving all my money.

A lot of the photos of the actual building shows the circles above the door to be black:

o.jpg

It's hard to find clear exterior shots of the building used in the movies, but it may not even feature the circles:

new-york-ghostbusters.jpg

I eventually found some photos where the circles are actually white stars over blue, matching the ones in the set.

PICT0155.JPG

Does anyone have any information on the purpose and history of those circles?

While digging, I did discover that the firehouse use to be twice as wide with two engine doors, but was cut in half around 1914 since the adjacent street was being widened (mod idea, wink wink).

hook+and+ladder+8.jpg

More info: http://daytoninmanha...ny-no-8-14.html

Edited by badbob001

While digging, I did discover that the firehouse use to be twice as wide with two engine doors, but was cut in half around 1914 since the adjacent screen was being widened (mod idea, wink wink).

I shall never destroy this. Never.

Edited by Captain Nemo
Please Don't Quote Pictures

My god... Just saw it for 400 EUR on my region's Lego website... It's a nice set but I'm just not that fond of Ghostbusters to spend 400 EUR on it. Isn't that quite the risk they're taking? If this gets made, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a D2C Wayne Manor in a few years.

Accessory elements include an alarm bell, fire extinguisher, computer, phone, toolbox, tools, jars of slimes, magnifying glass, camera, camera rolls, arcade game, toaster with slime, fridge with frozen pizza, milk and cheese, and much more!

I hope the "much more" includes a painting of vigo (likely another sticker) and chinese food containers (from big bang theory set). And they better have the wooden lockers on the first floor.

And while we are waiting to see the interior, here is mockup model used during production of the first movie. I think the guy is John DeCuir, the production designer.

firehousemodelscan2.jpg

I wonder will they keep the interior loft-design, which seems popular in some modular buildings (to keep the piece count down).

Edited by badbob001

While digging, I did discover that the firehouse use to be twice as wide with two engine doors, but was cut in half around 1914 since the adjacent street was being widened (mod idea, wink wink).

Yeah, I found that out while researching the firehouse a few years back... Quite amazing, isn't it...

The stars may be just black circles now, but they were definitely the way LEGO depicted them in the eighties when the movies were shot.

What surprises my is that the sign above the gate says "75827 Firehouse 75827" on the LEGO model instead of "Hook & Ladder 8" like on the actual building (and in the movie). Maybe it's because H&L 8 is still an operating NY firehouse or something.

Anyway, I still wonder what the interior looks like. I still have a load of questions such as these...

Will the Ecto-1 be able to park in the hall without removing Janine's desk ?

Will the wall behind Peter's desk in the main hall have the huge arched window (as seen in the movie and the actual LA firehouse where they shot the HQ's interior scenes)?

Oh- and will the set feature those decorative pillars seen in the movie (not the sliding poles but actual pillars that weren't at the shooting location but brought in by the art department)?

These ones:

pillars.jpg

I sure hope they'll show some pictures of the interior soon...

PS: @Badbob: Yes, that is John DeCuir. Actually, I think I scanned that picture and added the arrows... Notice how they're the exact same as on the picture I just posted. Small world. ;)

Edited by Captain Nemo

I hope the "much more" includes a painting of vigo (likely another sticker) and chinese food containers (from big bang theory set). And they better have the wooden lockers on the first floor.

And while we are waiting to see the interior, here is mockup model used during production of the first movie. I think the guy is John DeCuir, the production designer.

I wonder will they keep the interior loft-design, which seems popular in some modular buildings (to keep the piece count down).

Great image! I wonder Janine's office in 75827 might have such an separate space with walls. Please show us interior pics!!! the jewel of 75827 is all about interior detail isn'it? :grin:

Edited by Captain Nemo

In Belgium there's also a € 50 difference between the helicarrier, but Germany is for some reason cheaper, same thing with the Brick Bank. How did Germans get to have such great deals? Is LEGO tax subsidized there? In the case of modulars it means for every 3, you could get a 4th one free if you buy it there instead.

Nothing justifies such price difference :/ There is only 2% of difference in VAT

So i'll spend 40€ in gas for Brussels<->Köln trip to save 50+20€ on this set + the new modular...

Edited by antp

It looks good, better than next year's modular for sure, but to me Sergio's Ideas submission looked far better than this official set. Shame they didn't abandon their set and just go with his.

I don't think that's necessarily true, because last year alone he designed the Hellicarier, Kwik-E-Mart, Santa's Workshop... check out his page http://marcosbessa28.wix.com/vintoito#!lego/ctd5

Oh yeah, you are right. Then there is still hope for another Simpsons set next year. :) Crossing my fingers because this GBHQ set is way too expensive.

Yes! This is the photo I was talking about earlier in this post. So long as TLC stuck to this hopefully we cannot complain about the comtainment unit being put somewhere else since no basement exists for this set.

Edited by Captain Nemo

Oh yeah, you are right. Then there is still hope for another Simpsons set next year. :) Crossing my fingers because this GBHQ set is way too expensive.

An affordable Simpsons set would be great but not another expensive one. It would be nice if the Simpsons range had at least one £50-£80 set.

Actually, the maquette in that picture (as shown in the original 'Making Ghostbusters' book) is NOT how the interior of the firehouse ended up in the movies.

A few examples:

Pete Venkman's office is completely closed all around in the maquette. It's open in the movie.

In the movie, Janine's desk is in the middle of the hall in front of Venkman's office. In the maquette, her desk is almost against the wall.

The stairs leading up are directly behind the gate in the maquette. In the movie they are pretty much at the back near janine's desk.

And last but not least, there is no loft element at all in the movie.

My guess is that the maquette was made before they found the abandoned LA firehouse in which they ended up filming the movie's interior scenes.

Either they were originally planning to build the interior on a soundstage or maybe the maquette depicts the interior of an existing building where wanted to shoot but ultimately couldn't.

Anyway, while the maquette certainly looks cool, I hope the LEGO set looks nothing like it since it is not the interior of the Ghostbusters HQ as seen in the movies.

Edited by the fixer

Long time modular fan, casual GB fan, very excited about this set - looking forward to it more than the Brick Bank and already making space in my modular layout, feels like, more than the haunted house, this was designed to fit in.

Other than a few minor quibbles already stated by others, seems like they nailed the exterior and that this will be a very nice addition to the Ecto 1, hoping there are more GB sets to come...

Everyone, please do not quote pictures. It's my absolute biggest pet peeve. :thumbdown:

I don't have a problem with the discussion on the interior designs, utilizing photographs--but quoting pictures to comment on them with one line only adds unnecessary clutter, length, and repetition to the thread. Especially when one only has to scroll up to see the image being quoted. Thank you!

So when can we expect the official press release, including a designer video?

Who knows? Even the Brick Bank doesn't have a video yet! But since the cat's out of the bag now, I'd expect the press release to be out within the week. I bey they'll officially reveal it on Halloween.

An affordable Simpsons set would be great but not another expensive one. It would be nice if the Simpsons range had at least one £50-£80 set.

What is affordable to you (50-80) may still yet be unaffordable to others... It is kind of getting boring seeing you raise this '£80 being an affordable set' thing so frequently...

A lot of the photos of the actual building shows the circles above the door to be black:

It's hard to find clear exterior shots of the building used in the movies, but it may not even feature the circles:

I eventually found some photos where the circles are actually white stars over blue, matching the ones in the set.

Does anyone have any information on the purpose and history of those circles?

Those circles could be covering anchor plates. It is an old brick building. The anchor plates may be required for structural reinforcement.

What is affordable to you (50-80) may still yet be unaffordable to others... It is kind of getting boring seeing you raise this '£80 being an affordable set' thing so frequently...

£50-£80 can at least be afforded as a 'main Christmas present' to many people even if some can't justify buying something straight away at that price. £120-£350 doesn't even have that (unless you get someone who asks for one present for Christmas and nothing else).