kelceycoe

75827 Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters Discussion

Am I the only one who finds it amusing that the pavement slime is listed as a selling point, when it's literally just a few trans-pink studs built into the sidewalk? :laugh::poke:

Right?!! I feel it kind of detracts from the overall build, it should be optional. It is just the one spot, it kind of feels like it doesn't belong. Now if it maybe we're a sewer hole bubbling with it and had the sewer worker fencing around it, even that would help.

^Good points, and completely true about the buyers market. (Love your Tumblers!)

Edited by Aegis2000

That seems like a plausible explanation, though it doesn't explain why the heck this is being released as an Ideas set. :wacko:

Yup that's the one thing that I can't explain, as someone suggested elsewhere, it could just be as simple as the website admin just lumped it in with ideas as they didn't know where else to put it

Looks like the left side of the building can be opened into two halves, a bit like the Kwik-E-Mart in design.

And has what appears to be a fire escape.

A few people have been wondering what's going on in regards to the Ideas projects (both mine and Sergios), Here's my thoughts on the matter...

We've seen in previous instances (UCS Helicarrier) where LEGO has released a product that was rejected from LEGO Ideas prior. LEGO sets take upwards of 6 months to develop from conception to final product and that's multiplied for larger sets. So in the case of the helicarrier I give LEGO the benefit of the doubt that they had already been working on it behind the scenes and unfortunately for the LEGO helicarrier ideas submission, it conflicted with that.

Now in this instance you have my own firehouse in my original submission and the more detailed version with a full interior from Sergio Hernancias. As much as I'd love to take credit for it, mine was kinda phoned in, no interior, only a facade. I didn't really intend for it to be taken seriously as part of the submission (though I wouldn't have complained if they did) I felt it was more a background element of the submission, something to boost the presentation.

That leaves Sergios, which is more direct ideas submission, this IS the firehouse with a detailed interior. It did reach 10k and was unfortunately rejected.

Here's how I see it playing out.

My ideas project gets made, sales go very well and LEGO sees lots of people commenting on the lack of the firehouse from the submission.

They crunch the numbers (if we sold X ectomobile sets, we might expect say 1% of those people to buy a firehouse, OK it's financially viable). That combined with a new Ghostbusters movie coming out in 2016, it makes perfect sense to greenlight the set.

They start the design process for the firehouse, now keep in mind this is the 3rd largest LEGO set ever created. That would have some effect on how long it would take to develop. During this time Sergio submits his Firehouse to ideas.

Development on the set is continuing and the firehouse reaches 10k.

LEGO is in a difficult position where they can't approve it knowing full well they're already working on one. And they can't reveal that fact to the project creator without the risk of leaking information (as we've seen is a huge issue for them lately)

I don't really know what the solution is to be honest, if the decision was made pre-sergios ideas project it makes it difficult to justify getting him involved. I guess the best you could ask for is sending him a set or 2 (I'll take some too please :P)

It's undoubtedly for just this sort of scenario that they specifically note in the terms for Ideas that it's possible they might have sets in development that are similar to Ideas projects, especially for licensed themes. For all those who might suggest they "ripped off" an Ideaz user, I'd guess they'd simply point to those statements in reply. Honestly, I think it's perfectly reasonable, though I suspect not everyone will agree. Oh, well...

If this really is an IDEAS set... then why the heck are there stickers!?

Stickers actually aren't completely unknown in CUUSOO / Ideas sets; they're simply not the norm. There are in fact three CUUSOO / Ideas sets that use stickers - Shinkai 6500, Hayabusa, and The Big Bang Theory.

While it's true they've nearly abandoned stickers since those first two sets and The Big Bang Theory apparently used them only for parts they seldom if ever print on (and thus may not be set up to print on), keep in mind this is a 4634-piece set for $349.99 USD. That's a big price, but an even bigger piece count, and frankly the price-per-piece is on the low side, almost surprisingly so. Going with stickers might have been deemed a necessary cost-cutting measure in order to allow the set to come in at the desired size without going into a price range unprecedented for any sets other than the largest Star Wars ones.

According to TheBrickFan.com:

Update: Although the product page says it is a LEGO Ideas set, designer Marcos Bessa has stated that it is an error on Shop@Home and that the set is not part of the line. - See more at: http://www.thebrickf...h.zrKspdIq.dpuf

And for fun... the designer in front of the NY Firehouse!

Edited by kelceycoe

When i first saw the pics, i was disapointed, to say the least, because it seemed like it didnt open with hinges. It looked as though you could only access the interior by taking the floors apart, from top to bottom. Now that its been shown, that it DOES indeed open via hinges, i am SOLD. Looks like January, i will be buying 1 of these, and 2 of the modular banks. Cannot wait!!!

I don't get it - is Ghostbusters really so popular that there's a market out there for such a massive set? I guess the car must have sold well...

Edited by TeufelHund

I don't get it - is Ghostbusters really so popular that there's a market out there for such a massive set?

Really? Yes, Ghostbusters is still hugely popular.

I don't get it - is Ghostbusters really so popular that there's a market out there for such a massive set? I guess the care must have sold well...

The majority of the fans are 30+ years so they generally have the steady income to afford it

380€ on spanish S@H. Oh dear... Almost 400€ it's too much for a detailed interior. Damn!

Edited by Gongoro73

With it being listed as a january release, if i remember correctly (im remembering quite vaguely at the moment) sometimes, january sets are released in december. What is the likelihood of it being released in december? I am just starting to get into modulars about to get my first, and this is without doubt for me going to be a insta buy as soon as possible.

I love tue fact it can open up on hinges and looks like the floors can come off also, not to mention i just got the ecto 1 purely because this is coming out and think itll make such an amazing display piece... I may even be tempted to play with it :p

Holy crap.

I wasn't very excited by the news of this set, mainly because of the price. But this looks amazing, and the PPP-ratio is actually on the ok side, with the set having over 4600 parts.

I'll have to rethink this, maybe I'll get it after all.

I am going to state the unpopular opinion here:

At least on the exterior, it stays accurate to the building and looks generally good to me. But, to be honest, it is not as detailed or delicate as the modular buildings in the creator line. If it were not for the franchise influence and it were just another modular building, I don't think it is really that attractive. But, I believe the interior is going to be amazing. That said, it is still a pass for me since I am not really that much of a ghostbusters fan. But, it is a must-have for fans, I guess. With the same budget, If I have to choose either the modulars (PR and DO) or the GB building, I would take the former though the minifigs in GB building are easily an overwhelming win even though I am not a fan of GB.

Do others share the same thought? Please don't hate on me. Just stating my opinion is all.

I agree, it looks good and it's accurate, but as a Lego building it's not as attractive as the modular buildings, for example Fire Brigade which has somewhat similar style looks much nicer in my opinion. I like Ghostbusters but I'm not a huge fan, so I'll probably skip this... and it's so large that it's difficult to put on display.

It looks great, but for 400 euros i'd rather have two extra BrickBank sets, to make one huge BrickBank out of three sets....

Here's the only issue - Will it allow the Lego Ecto-1 be inside the building or it can be small it can't fit inside they could had accepted the lego idea one which can fit inside the HQ

Here's the only issue - Will it allow the Lego Ecto-1 be inside the building or it can be small it can't fit inside they could had accepted the lego idea one which can fit inside the HQ

It fits inside, the official description says.

There you are! Think you can photoshop Willie Scott's hair onto Janine? You're good at photoshopping minifigures, maybe give it a go? :tongue:

Sweet now I can have it inside if I wanted to! it will look even better with my modded Ecto-1 since I can do whatever with it sadly the price is really out of range!

Edited by Prince Manic