Sign in to follow this  
AmperZand

[MOC] Zombies - aargh braaains!

Here are the zombies from my display collection. I have tried to make them more fantasy zombies of the Dungeons & Dragons variety rather than modern zombies that official LEGO ones are.

I have had most of them for years, but only just photographed them as I was waiting for the Scooby-Doo and CMF S14 zombies.

zombies.jpg

Questions? Comments? Futile attempts to escape these brain-starved undead?

Nice. The only things that seem out of place are the female zombies' hairpieces. Classic zombies shouldn't have their hair up, it would get messed up with all the brain eating, and then they can't redo it. Use the long stringy looking hair or something.

Since when Zombies need weapons? :-)

That's a fair point. In Haitian folklore where they originate, they don't have weapons. And in Romero's popularisation of them in the "Living Dead" films, I don't recall them being armed either. But in Dungeons & Dragons, they're sometimes depicted as armed and in Warhammer, they're mostly represented with weapons. So I suppose mine are more of the D&D/Warhammer type.

I imagine zombies use whatever they had to hand when they became undead, so typically tools and implements. My only zombie with a purpose made weapon is the warrior with the axe. I guess that was what he was using to fight them off when they 'zombified' him! The rest have everyday tools. One of them does have a bat, but it's supposed to represent a heavy branch/ersatz club; I just don't have a suitable part for that.

Nice. The only things that seem out of place are the female zombies' hairpieces. Classic zombies shouldn't have their hair up, it would get messed up with all the brain eating, and then they can't redo it. Use the long stringy looking hair or something.

If they were recently 'zombified', they might still have their hair up as they did in life. Also, it helps to identify them as female. Generic droopy hair is more ambiguous.

Edited by AmperZand

If they were recently 'zombified', they might still have their hair up as they did in life. Also, it helps to identify them as female. Generic droopy hair is more ambiguous.

Okay. In the fantasy I'm used to, the usual implication is that they were dead and zombified for a while, not like a plague epidemic where people keep on getting freshly turned.

Regardless, the hair I was suggesting is this one, which is solidly female. This one and this one are also female without implying "modern."

But I'm sorry for criticizing. You've done a good job assembling a variety zombies from the Lego library. The capes and heads are all fitting without being uniform, which is nice. And by the way, I have no problem with the weapons. In fact, I like them.

Okay. In the fantasy I'm used to, the usual implication is that they were dead and zombified for a while, not like a plague epidemic where people keep on getting freshly turned.

Regardless, the hair I was suggesting is this one, which is solidly female. This one and this one are also female without implying "modern."

I like your suggestions though I don't think I'll be replacing the hairpieces I'm currently using. I do have some of the ones you propose and may create additional female zombie minifigs usings those hairpieces. I can imagine that zombies might get their hair disheveled from the zombification process. I'm not sure I agree that having your hair up or tied is modern: female hairstyles involving bunching and tying have existed since ancient times.

But I'm sorry for criticizing. You've done a good job assembling a variety zombies from the Lego library. The capes and heads are all fitting without being uniform, which is nice. And by the way, I have no problem with the weapons. In fact, I like them.

Since I took the photo, I've tweaked the girl zombie. She is now as she appears in this picture:

s14_cmf_mocs.jpg