Bob De Quatre

LEGO Sci-Fi 2016 Pictures and Rumors

While It's a shame there's no new minifigure space theme coming out, I think It's still fair game If you're a MOC'er. This image is a collage I made of mostly new space parts that might come in handy later this year:

24701506686_191c8773d3_c.jpg

About this year; Nexo Knights, mix of Castle and futuristic features...

It's too much Castle IMO. I don't like it. :hmpf_bad:

Don't take this as a criticism, but you're the first person I've heard criticize Nexo Knights for being "too much Castle". Most of the Nexo Knights critics I've seen feel like it's not Castle enough. :tongue:

Edited by Aanchir

Don't take this as a criticism, but you're the first person I've heard criticize Nexo Knights for being "too much Castle". Most of the Nexo Knights critics I've seen feel like it's not Castle enough. :tongue:

Well, if I can add my bits: I already own all Nexo Knights sets ( :wink::tongue: ) and my thought is that it's really more Castle than Space BUT I also have to say I really do like most of them: interesting designs and functional concepts (especially the main set called Fortrex - that one is splendid...also the "rocket-vehicle" feels very space-like) tho the rest is more or less almost Castle-only to me + I have not good feeling of where it goes: once again quite good idea wasted (Castle/Space/Sci-Fi hybrid) cos those added "fairytale" elements are really distracting and making me feel like I am looking at some kind of Fiona & Shrek stuff, really. :laugh::grin: .

Edited by bublible

That's because Lego castle fans are just a bunch of fangirls who only wants castle parts, all the time ! :grin: (I'm joking!)

The theme is what it is, and we won't change it. So instead of discussing if it's too much castle or too much sci-fi, just let's get the very fine parts TLG is giving us. There is so much new parts in this theme that can be put to good use in space or sci-fi (or castle) builds! :classic:

That's because Lego castle fans are just a bunch of fangirls who only wants castle parts, all the time ! :grin: (I'm joking!)

The theme is what it is, and we won't change it. So instead of discussing if it's too much castle or too much sci-fi, just let's get the very fine parts TLG is giving us. There is so much new parts in this theme that can be put to good use in space or sci-fi (or castle) builds! :classic:

That is true: for example, I was totally amazed seeing almost the same part I colored virtually in LDD for my Spacastlon pseudo-subtheme - in Nexo Knights Jestro's chariot there are two big TRANS ORANGE WHEELS...unbelievable as I designed exactly those just in pure trans yellow - what a great coinsidence! :grin:

Hahaha, non taken. I'm just not a 'Castle-ie guy'... Is that even a word!? Just can't stand it; Braveheart, hate it. LOTR, hate it. King Arthur stuff, hate it. etc. :tongue::devil:

I hoped it was more Steampunkish, or something among the realms of

/

Hahaha, non taken. I'm just not a 'Castle-ie guy'... Is that even a word!? Just can't stand it; Braveheart, hate it. LOTR, hate it. King Arthur stuff, hate it. etc. :tongue::devil:

Yea: basically the same feeling over here...tho I 'd change word "hate to "don't like" :laugh:

As for the 2nd part of your post: as for me I hoped it would/could be something more like this ones: THIS or THIS :grin::tongue::devil:

Edited by bublible

Yea: basically the same feeling over here...tho I 'd change word "hate to "don't like" :laugh:

As for the 2nd part of your post: as for me I hoped it would/could be something more like this ones: THIS or THIS :grin::tongue::devil:

True, true... Your links reminds me of Warhammer 40K, which was also a route they could have chosen.

True, true... Your links reminds me of Warhammer 40K, which was also a route they could have chosen.

I have never heard of "Warhammer 40K" - what it is/was? :look:

I have never heard of "Warhammer 40K" - what it is/was? :look:

Okay to keep it simple; it's a tabletop game, you choose a faction and you make the pieces yourself with sets (glue, paint, etc.)

One of those factions is called Space Marines, that lego reminded me of it. I myself played with Tau, but it costs lots of time & money...

Edited by -zenn

Aha! Gonna check it out - thanx for the links... :wink:

What is the trans neon green 10x10 radar dish from? I can't find a pic of that set.

Pity they did not make it in "our" trans dark blue - that'd be even greater/better (but still fingers crossed)! :sweet:

Edited by bublible

Looks like Benny has a new ride, although it's pretty terrible:

pk7zyZ5.jpg?1

A poor design in my opinion, but I thought it was interesting. Check out those partially transparent engine tubes. It's from this image (warning: huge).

I'm still bummed we never got this set.

Edited by danth

What's that from? It's got a few old Space moulds, that chunky one from Exploriens and the cockpit one. Gotta say I wouldn't want that as a set.

That other image would definitely have been a really cool set.

A poor design in my opinion, but I thought it was interesting. Check out those partially transparent engine tubes. It's from this image (warning: huge).

Eh, to me this one looks much better than the one you are linking to wishing it as a possible LEGO set - for some reason this "open" design (with that Exploriens panel, as @Artis mentioned) is much more ClassicSpace IMHO (well, in case CS is our aim, of course) :classic:

Edited by bublible

I have moved on from the design style of the vintage days for Space sets to prefer the sleeker recent stuff, but I still like the colour schemes (especially trans colours) & minifigs of 80s -> early 90s. That is where most of the charm is for me. (But I don't like the chin-strap original helmet, the visored one was a huge improvement).

The CMF's have some interesting stuff for Sci-Fi fans this year

Disney CMF's have Buzz Lightyear and 2 aliens: Stitch and Little Green Man from Toy Story

Series 16 is rumored to have a Cyborg minifigure

Might not be the best design, but I really liked how it looks. It reminds me of the vehicles of Exploriens, particularly 6938(even though it isnt an aircraft).

Also, besides the Cyborg, the Spy in Series 16 might be useful for Sci-Fi MOCs too.

Edited by Sorrelon

That new Benny ship... it's a strange amalgamation of Technic panels, Bionicle Bohrok, newer curved slopes, and parts from various eras of classic space. Overall, it's weird. But it will only be seen in a LEGOLAND attraction, so no biggie.

Thanks for compiling all those part pics, Orange Leader! All of the new pieces in trans red-orange are screaming for Neo-Ice Planet 2002 MOCs. The Elves dragon eggs seemed promising at first, but the realization that only one half of the egg had connection points (unlike the Galaxy Squad alien cocoons) killed them for me. The City Volcano Explorers theme will be particularly interesting, but I don't know what I'll use all that lime green for! However, it's a shame the rebreathers in that theme are only the same-ol' firefighter ones.

So I am a massive fan of the Insectoid theme and I wasn't even aware of the Galaxy Squad theme (was in a dark age) until today. Those are some cool looking sets. If only they came out before Mars Mission when I was collecting back then!