Sandy

Heroica RPG - Crescent Union

"Not in the same manner."

"My arguments have been based upon history, and the fact that a republic is better for the common man than a kingship or dynasty."

"History? I'm not familiar with any republics to this date, are you?"

Tesni had spent some time wandering the environs of the freeport, it had been good to be out in the fresh air after time spent under a mountain in the realm of dwarfkind. A whisper on the wind had told her that the houses were working together and against each other for the fate of Eubric. It was time to pledge the support House Ji Pei was owed her.

Qilin Blade prominent amongst her weapons, Tesni entered the meeting space. "Hail Shanxian, as was entrusted to me this great sword so do I pledge its support to you."

Terry meekly sneaks in and pledges his one vote to Guts.

A shadowy figure detaches itself from the crowds at the edges and walks into the middle of the chamber-it is unclear how long he has been listening to the raging debate

"I think master Whisperer here is missing the point, and perhaps we all have been analysing this situation the wrong way, for we must firstly look at this situation from the point of view of the people of the hovels, without whom none of us would be here deciding on a man to be king. What did Ulric do for them, to make them his undying followers? Well, he gave food to the hungry, clothing to the naked and he cleared all the other gangs out of the hovels-in short he looked after them and gave the hope-and there lies the simple truth. You see, the people in the hovels don’t want a republic. What do they care about political equality and representation, when they struggle to put food on the table, and are afraid to go out at night? What they really want is a ruler who will protect them and provide for the poor and needy. Are you that man master Whisperer-because the people we are competing against in the race to become king are a wolf headed man with the backing of nearly the entire population of the hovels, and whichever veteran politician the Sungold Alliance decide to elect, with the wealth of some of the richest and most influential families in Eubric behind them-our candidate must be stronger, tougher and more brilliant than any of them."

"Now master Holla promises a regime that will be strong, and able to defend its people- what does master Ji Pei, the esteemed princeling and diplomat promise Eubric? Not this-the people of Eubric want a man of action and that man I see in Guts Holla."

"History? I'm not familiar with any republics to this date, are you?"

"Then it is a good job someone among this audience is...allow me tell a story of the last republic to be set up on Olegia. Latcium three years ago, a man named Julio takes control of the senate-do you want to know what happened next?" Na’im mimes slitting his throat "Sic semper Tyrannis-Thus ever to tyrants! Can you promise me the same not happen to your precious republic Whisperer? Are you bold enough to claim that no one on your council will ever feel that lust for a bit more power and will take control? People and power are inseparable master Whisperer-that is how it always has been and always will be. Your republic will burn and die, like every other one that has been set up across Olegia-that is the hard truth of the matter."

Edited by Enceladus

I was waiting for confirmation to what will happen with my job class before casting this, but this may be my last chance to vote, considering the topic is still open (or it may not even be eligible) so, time to throw caution to the wind...

The Necropolis had changed me. I had grown tried of being stalked by revenants I had raised by my own hand. Just turning around and seeing those lifeless, obedient eyes... Kind of unsettling. I wasn't raising undead like myself or the ones in Fellcrest. I was making puppets and slaves. The only reason I could have to continue my career as a necromancer was to honor my father. Luckily, I could ask him what he thought now...

As horrible as she was, Silvia and Carlos did show me how to throw a good seance. I won't tell you what was said. I don't think it's neccasary. But... It did make up my mind.

I stride into the Chateau de Shadeaux.

"I cast 2 votes for Guts Holla."

"I'm putting myself in deep shit with the Ziegfrieds for this one, Guts. Just promise me you'll give Ulric what he deserves, and stop tossing my granddaughter off of boats, okay?"

Edited by Endgame

OoC: If it's too late to vote then I'll edit in a line about being too late. Mission failed. But with the topic still unlocked...

esn_bw1a.jpg

En Sabah Nur appeared in the makeshift hall for the Crescent Union. He examined his right hand. "Ahh, some sort of astral projection yet I seem a bit more tangible. Right then, I am here to join the Crescent Union and cast my solitary vote for Jun Ji Pei!"

A shadowy figure detaches itself from the crowds at the edges and walks into the middle of the chamber-it is unclear how long he has been listening to the raging debate

"I think master Whisperer here is missing the point, and perhaps we all have been analysing this situation the wrong way, for we must firstly look at this situation from the point of view of the people of the hovels, without whom none of us would be here deciding on a man to be king. What did Ulric do for them, to make them his undying followers? Well, he gave food to the hungry, clothing to the naked and he cleared all the other gangs out of the hovels-in short he looked after them and gave the hope-and there lies the simple truth. You see, the people in the hovels don’t want a republic. What do they care about political equality and representation, when they struggle to put food on the table, and are afraid to go out at night? What they really want is a ruler who will protect them and provide for the poor and needy. Are you that man master Whisperer-because the people we are competing against in the race to become king are a wolf headed man with the backing of nearly the entire population of the hovels, and whichever veteran politician the Sungold Alliance decide to elect, with the wealth of some of the richest and most influential families in Eubric behind them-our candidate must be stronger, tougher and more brilliant than any of them.".

The Black Knight nodded quietly. "You are right, my friend. By myself, I cannot be those things.

None of us can be those things.

But by banding together in a republic, we create a composition that is all of those things, and more."

He walked forward, and looked out at the crowd. "In a dictatorship, all of those things axis around what a single man can bring to the table. But a republic draws on all of the skills a multitude of skilled workers, teachers, and heroes can bring to the table."

"Then it is a good job someone among this audience is...allow me tell a story of the last republic to be set up on Olegia. Latcium three years ago, a man named Julio takes control of the senate-do you want to know what happened next?" Na’im mimes slitting his throat "Sic semper Tyrannis-Thus ever to tyrants! Can you promise me the same not happen to your precious republic Whisperer? Are you bold enough to claim that no one on your council will ever feel that lust for a bit more power and will take control? People and power are inseparable master Whisperer-that is how it always has been and always will be. Your republic will burn and die, like every other one that has been set up across Olegia-that is the hard truth of the matter."

"No. I cannot promise that. But I can promise that every effort will be taken with the sole plan in mind of avoiding that end - and that is all any of us can promise."

OoC: If it's too late to vote then I'll edit in a line about being too late. Mission failed. But with the topic still unlocked...

En Sabah Nur appeared in the makeshift hall for the Crescent Union. He examined his right hand. "Ahh, some sort of astral projection yet I seem a bit more tangible. Right then, I am here to join the Crescent Union and cast my solitary vote for Jun Ji Pei!"

Na'im glares at the Wolfkibg's supportor "Traitorous wolfgang wretch!" he hisses under his breath "Do you not see master Whisperer: the wolfgang want a feeble crescent union candidate for the kingship of Eubric, one that will be too weak to stand up to them. If you value anything in this city master Whisperer, vote for Guts Holla, for with your help, we can till win this, and trust me your vision will not be ignored or neglected in the great man's shadow-the people will get the dignity and freedom they deserve!" Na'im clenches his hand's and glances at his pocketwatch, still counting down the hours to midnight

"I'm afraid I have spent the votes I have, Guts." says Sorrow. "Anyone care to step up and not allow Wolfgang to rig this thing?"

Na'im glares at the Wolfkibg's supportor "Traitorous wolfgang wretch!" he hisses under his breath "Do you not see master Whisperer: the wolfgang want a feeble crescent union candidate for the kingship of Eubric, one that will be too weak to stand up to them. If you value anything in this city master Whisperer, vote for Guts Holla, for with your help, we can till win this, and trust me your vision will not be ignored or neglected in the great man's shadow-the people will get the dignity and freedom they deserve!" Na'im clenches his hand's and glances at his pocketwatch, still counting down the hours to midnight

"I do value this city, and I value its freedom. And voting one man king over all, never brings freedom."

"Are you all about to let this decided by a clown eating out of Ulric's paws?"

"Jun's not a clown. I have doubts as to whether you or he would make the better king, but the Ji Pei dynasty is quite capable of standing up against the Wolfgang."

"I do value this city, and I value its freedom. And voting one man king over all, never brings freedom."

"Jun's not a clown. I have doubts as to whether you or he would make the better king, but the Ji Pei dynasty is quite capable of standing up against the Wolfgang."

"I-I thought you stood against dynasties...? And what difference does Jun or Guts make in the terms of king, by that "one man" thingy? They're both one person." says Terry.

"I was talking about the mage that just cast his vote for Jun. the same mage who was among Ulric's first supporters."

"I-I thought you stood against dynasties...?

"I am firmly against dynasties. I was merely saying, if it was only a question of who could stand up against the Wolfgang, the Ji Pei are the ones with an actual army, and actual resources.

And what difference does Jun or Guts make in the terms of king, by that "one man" thingy? They're both one person." says Terry.

"I'm not quite certain what you're asking...?"

"I was talking about the mage that just cast his vote for Jun. the same mage who was among Ulric's first supporters."

"Ah."

"They're scientists, mostly, when I saw 'em, not an army... I don't get why you're so against Guts but for a dynasty."

"I am firmly against dynasties. I was merely saying, if it was only a question of who could stand up against the Wolfgang, the Ji Pei are the ones with an actual army, and actual resources.

"A couple of airships, a few ornamental swords and a team of scientists. Make no mistake, the Ji Pei are architects, not rulers."

"They're scientists, mostly, when I saw 'em, not an army...

"You clearly haven't spent much time studying them, then."

I don't get why you're so against Guts but for a dynasty."

"I'm for neither candidate. I want a republic, where every man has power. But if we are going to be swallowed up by yet another dynasty, it might as well be the one that's most likely to succeed, and the one that's most likely to treat its people well."

"A couple of airships, a few ornamental swords and a team of scientists. Make no mistake, the Ji Pei are architects, not rulers."

"And architects is what this city needs, not more swords. Architects to a better future.

I'd rather they be architects working on a republic, but..."

The Black Knight shrugged.

"And if that's all you think the Ji Pei are capable of, you need to stick your nose into more books, my friend. The empire of Xu is exceedingly impressive in size and scope."

"A dynasty that is being shoed in by a "former" member of the Wolfgang. Ever dealt with them, Lind?" says Sorrow.

"A dynasty that is being shoed in by a "former" member of the Wolfgang. Ever dealt with them, Lind?" says Sorrow.

"Unfortunately, I have not had that pleasure."

"Their leader took in my granddaughter, brainwashed her, and made me shot her dead in a back alley. They ruined the life of what little extended family I have.

I took down tyrants with Guts. Jun got himself captured. The Ji Pei are fine inventors. But they are not the militaristic force you portray them as. They usually need us to settle their disputes. Now, I hope we can agree the Wolfgang is something that is in desperate need of stopping. Whether the man who has proved himself, or the boy who has not spoken a word for himself in this debate, deserves to lead us... I trust you will choose correctly."

Guts has never demonstrated he would be against the people. The Ji Pei have for years feuded against the Bonapartes in a fight for control, completely ignoring the people. Have you been to the squalls of Eubric? It's a sad sight indeed. The founding houses can not be given back control of the city. It would start this whole mess again,

Several more hours of tiring debate followed, with the candidate for a Republic steadfastly refusing to abandon his dream of a Free Eubric, and the voting closed.

Unfortunately, due to a clerical error that would be discussed heatedly for the next hundred years, the Republic candidate's personal two votes were - 'accidentally', by the clerk, it was suggested - filed under Guts Holla, causing that candidate's victory.

"I'm for neither candidate. I want a republic, where every man has power. But if we are going to be swallowed up by yet another dynasty, it might as well be the one that's most likely to succeed, and the one that's most likely to treat its people well."

"And architects is what this city needs, not more swords. Architects to a better future."

“And the Ji Pei in their position as one of the Houses in Power has been so successful at making life better for people. There is a big gap between creating a vision and making that vision happen. I daresay we have too many architects in this city, and not enough engineers and constructors. If you don't have fate in me, Lind, at least have fate in yourself. I'd give you a chance, not as ruler, but still, you'd work for the good of the city and the people.“

"Why are we speaking of armies? Guts has no army either, and Jun no longer fights. He is a diplomat. We are not here to compare who has the larger army, we are here to unite under one name and see the proposed changes to Eubric through. Jun is the most experienced and effective at leading us to those changes."

"A fighter makes no better ruler than an architect."

Guts has never demonstrated he would be against the people. The Ji Pei have for years feuded against the Bonapartes in a fight for control, completely ignoring the people. Have you been to the squalls of Eubric? It's a sad sight indeed. The founding houses can not be given back control of the city. It would start this whole mess again,

"Then why are you here, Dyric? Three of the six houses have united for the same cause, and we have chosen to join them. The power will lie in all of our hands, together."