Sandy

Heroica RPG - Crescent Union

The leaders of the three houses of the Crescent Union gathered to survey the results of the would-be-king's election.

heroicanpc-shanxianjipei.jpg

"Ah, it seems my son Jun is in the lead with the famed hero Guts Holla, currently. This could go either way."

heroicanpc-noctusshadeaux.jpg

"Zere is still time four my daugzer Umbra tu rise on top. We agreed tu keep ze voting ouvert until ze turn ouf ze year."

heroicanpc-madameladybug2.jpg

"Hmmm, would you rather see another one of the Heroicans, Lind Whisperer, leading our faction? His value has been tested through quests, it has been tested. Hmmm..."

heroicanpc-alphonsecula.jpg

"I jutht hope the Mathked Man ithn't too piththed off that he didn't get any thupport..."

The first event, Kingmakers, ends in 24 hours!

Guts nods to Dyric for speaking for him in his silence, and walks in the middle of the room, adressing everyone present, but directing his words at Lind Whisperer.

"Lind. I think we've all seen your ideals, and I for one admire them. A city of free men, ruled by representatives, a wonderful dream. Aren't we already free men and women? We are the Freeport Eubric! To for one minute forget that every man is equal and free in this city is an insult! I ask now, Lind. How will you make this republic of yours? A council of heroes, to start with. Heroes aren't representative of the people Lind. What about the merchants, which hero represents them? Which hero will represent the fishermen? The farmers outside our walls, the whores in our taverns? Then elections? How will you hold elections in a city divided by crime and poverty? This plan of yours will never work. You speak of me as a beginning of a dynasty. The absolute King Guts. Lind, you disappoint me. You should know I have no... living children, and while not too old, I have no desire of siring any offspring. How wrong could be. I will rule, no, LEAD, this city for as long as is needed, then leave it into capable hands fostered by a city of Progress and Liberty."

Dear Warlen,

Just thought I'd drop you a letter from the Crescent Hall. It's getting kind of tight to the wire here. I think I told you - I'm running for office? Either way, I thought I'd be out in the first week - third party candidate, and all.

I've promised, and determined, that if I'm elected, I'll be taking steps to start Eubric towards becoming a republic. It's a radical idea, and I didn't really expect that anyone else would take to it.

But...surprise, surprise, people actually like the idea of democracy. I guess there's something about the idea of controlling their own destinies, instead having some king control them for them, that's appealing.

I guess that's the sort of thing Moone could have done with a bit more of...

The Black Knight looked up, and frowned.

He shook his head, and went back to writing.

People are voting for me, Warlen. But...I'm still trailing. And it's getting close.

If...Bother it, this is hard to ask, so I'll just blurt it out...except this is writing, so I'm not really blurting it out, but...

Warlen, I could really use your votes. They...really could determine this election. It's that close - people are that pro the idea of becoming a republic - but...Guts is still extremely popular, and without your votes...

There is one thing that I thought you might find interesting.

I don't know if this is anything you'd be interested in - but if I'm elected King - or, rather, Electorate - I'll be making a King's Counsel. Heroes and other people of high skill, to judge and rule areas I am not skilled in. And one of those chairs, will be Minister of Magic.

Basically, Head Mage over Eubric.

I was originally thinking of asking Sir Arthur, since he was one of the most capable magic-users in the Hall - but he's left Heroica. And after him, you're the second-most powerful - and upright - mage I know. I don't know if Head Mage over Eubric is a job you'd be interested in, or not...but, if you are, and I were elected, I'd be glad to have you.

Just a thought.

Either way, best of regards,

~Lind Whisperer

The Black Knight folded up the letter, said the words, and watched it disappear in the iconic pink flash.

It was sometime after returning from Etheria, or perhaps before. Time seemed to follow no rules there. Hybros pushed open the doors to the Chateau Shadeaux, thus joining the Crescent Union. It was an obvious choice to join with the Ji Pei after all they had done for him. And he was already a member of the Guild of Invision. The one time he encountered the Shadeaux, he had sided with the Hinckwells and fought Umbra. But that was a long time ago. If they were in it with the others, then Hybros would just have to find a way to make amends.

He looked around the room, watching the debates and general chatter. A few of his friends, Atramor, Dyric, Thormanil... were already gathered and had cast their votes. He looked to two of his greatest allies, Jun and Guts. They were both in the running for king, and the votes were close. A decision either way would feel like a betrayal to the other. But after much thought and consideration, he decided.

Hybros casts his votes (5) for Jun Ji Pei.

"Jun... When I first asked for your help to find my people, I made a promise. I said that if they were found, the imps would help the Aoi the Ji Pei family in any way they could. You helped me trainto prepare for that journey, and it was made possible by your family and the Tritech, as well as a few others... But this is not just a token of gratitude. I know you can lead and I know you wish to do what is best for Eubric. I, and the rest of my people, are with you."

Guts stares at Hybros as he casts his vote. The Marauder, smiles, this would get him the victory. For now. There would be so much to do still, Sungold Alliance, Wolfgang, No, Wolf King, a political faction now. What happens leaves him drained. Guts leaves the room.

The Black Knight stood up, and quietly smiled.

"We are the Freeport Eubric, yes. Until the end of tonight.

At the end of the night, we are electing a King. And a city who has a king, is never free.

I do not know every step to making a republic - no one knows. I might ask you in return, what will make you really a king? All you would have is the backing of the Houses, and a few - a very few - of the Heroes in the Hall - and that alone makes no kings.

Yes, you have charisma with the lower classes - and they probably would accept you as another monarch. To them, you're just another smiling, successful face - and one face is as good, or bad, as another."

He looked around the room.

"But...if you, if all of you, were given the chance, what would you choose? Would you choose to put another over you, to dictate to you how to live, how to think, how to act?

Or, would you try - even if its success wasn't a certainty - to live as a free man?

To choose yourself, how you live.

How you think.

How you act."

The Black Knight shook his head.

"You are right - I do not know all of the steps that must be taken, to make a republic. I have not studied in depth who among the Heroes - or those from among the people - could best represent what factions, nor have I studied all the arts of conducting a perfectly sound election.

But I have studied history, and every King, in his time, either creates a dictatorship, or a dynasty. And no civilization stepped closer to Freedom, and to Progress, by stepping backwards."

He looked around the room.

"If you want to elect just another King over us all, then vote for Guts. He is charismatic, and he could likely rally the people - for a time.

But...if you have ever also dreamed the mad dream of a free city, where we and our children can live freely for thousands of years - then make me Electorate for long enough so that I can begin that dream."

Guts stares at Hybros as he casts his vote. The Marauder, smiles, this would get him the victory. For now. There would be so much to do still, Sungold Alliance, Wolfgang, No, Wolf King, a political faction now. What happens leaves him drained. Guts leaves the room.

Hybros frowns as he watches Guts leave. He wondered when or if they would talk it out, and how it would go down.

The marauder walks in the room a few hours later.

"I realized I wasn't finished. There is one more thing. One giant Igniphant in the room that everyone is so afraid to address. Mister Ulric Wolfkin that is. I will not sit by and watch as this city gets destroyed by that 'former' crime boss. The man is a blight, but not a blight we can ignore. I will not let the Wolfgang, and make no mistake, they are the same as they have always been, I will not let the Wolfgang take this city and grind it to dust. Our counterpart, the Sungold Alliance is about to elect a delusional old fool that claims he ruled a kingdom a hundred years in the past, or a pirate that shits on the very city he would rule. I would gladly offer my full support to anyone that can claim to be able to stop Ulric and his march. Who? Who would do it? Lind, who thinks winning over the people with theoretical promises might be enough? Jun Ji Pei? A boy who hasn't spoken a word here, and even now stands in the shadow of his mother? Think on this."

"I don't think winning the people over with theoretical promises is going to do anything - only direct action and finding their promises fulfilled is going to give the populace reason to believe in our republic.

But, you raise an excellent question. What is to be done about Ulric?

We certainly can't let him make himself king. And he's capable of it, too. The people I've seen are desperate - they want hope. And if a king can offer it to them, they'll as gladly follow him as create a republic. The one will give them freedom, the other won't - but they won't see that."

The Black Knight frowned.

He looked towards the Marauder. "You make fair points...but you fail to give any reason why people should pick your dreams of a kingship, over my dreams of a republic. I would think people would be more inclined to fight for their freedom, as fight for just another king. Or at the very least, no less inclined..."

"The people of this city have their freedom already Lind. Some are too afraid to make a use of it, and that is something we can fix. You will never win over the people by just catering to their needs. Ulric has been doing the same for the poor and helpless for years. You're not going to errode that support by trying to better than him at it. The only thing we can do is show the people what Ulric really is, what he does, what he wants. He is a cunning, cruel creature that stabs his own people in the back when he thinks it will give him an advantage.Does he want a better Eubric? No he wants to own Eubric. Does he want wealth and power for his people? He wants it for himself. And we do that by engaging him, as well as the Sungolds. Have you giving a single thought to what comes directly after this? The winner here will not rule Eubric or start to make changes or anything like that, they will argue and face off against the two others. Make no mistake, the majority of the people couldn't give a rat's big behind about no Crescent Union or Sungold Alliance or a Wolf King. Yet, but this will change. We can't let Ulric dominate in that stage, if we allow that, this city is lost. I'm saying you need pick me as our representative because Ulric will eat the others for breakfast."

Edited by Scubacarrot

"Everything you say, applies to a republic as well or more. Indeed, it is only by showing the people what Ulric really is that can will cause them to eventually turn away from him.

But what will you show them? All you will show them, is another king - another king vying for power.

What can you offer them, that Ulric can't? To them, you're just another king.

I offer something tangible - I promise to not be a king. I promise to create a government that will live for them - not for what it can take. That's something neither you, nor Ulric, are offering.

No, the people do not care for the Crescent Union, or the Alliance, or the Wolf. But they do care about their personal lives. And that is the only way that we can appeal to them at this stage - by offering them hope of something even greater than what Ulric offers."

Promising to not be king is the opposite of something tangible. Guts is promising to care for the people the same as you. That's more than Jun Ji Pei has offered - in fact, he's said nothing so far. While I respect the man, I fail to see why he's gathered such a following. He's made no promises for Eubric, at least none that I have heard. Furthermore, a prominent member of one of the houses winning puts us right back in the same scenario - Eubric trapped in a squabble between houses. I'd rather vote for the Whisperer than see that happen again.

Edited by The Legonater

Promising to not be king is the opposite of something tangible. Guts is promising to care for the people the same as you.

"Except, you're ignoring half of what I said. I didn't just say that I promised not to be king, I said that I promised to create a government that will live for them - not for what it can take.

Guts has said that he will care for the people, yes, but a king lives for himself - a republic exists for the people. They both can care for the people - but the people have the ear - and the power - of a republic. That's something a kingship can't offer."

The Black Knight shook his head.

"I do understand why the Ji Pei have mustered so many votes - they have a history of strong politics - but I must agree with you. Putting a member of a House in charge of Crescent - especially a representative of such a powerful nation - is just asking for trouble."

"Except, you're ignoring half of what I said. I didn't just say that I promised not to be king, I said that I promised to create a government that will live for them - not for what it can take.

Guts has said that he will care for the people, yes, but a king lives for himself - a republic exists for the people. They both can care for the people - but the people have the ear - and the power - of a republic. That's something a kingship can't offer."

A king can live for himself. A monarchy can become a dynasty. A dynasty can become tyrannical. But this are not musts. Dictatorships are now viewed with an oppressive eye, but historically they worked well and the people benefited. Whisperer, I respect your cause, but this race is clearly between two men now. I urge you, don't waste this because of what might go wrong. Vote Guts because of what might go right.

A king can live for himself. A monarchy can become a dynasty. A dynasty can become tyrannical. But this are not musts. Dictatorships are now viewed with an oppressive eye, but historically they worked well and the people benefited. Whisperer, I respect your cause, but this race is clearly between two men now. I urge you, don't waste this because of what might go wrong. Vote Guts because of what might go right.

"Have you ever of Murpheus's Law?

You don't plan, Dyric, for what might go right. You plan for what will go wrong."

A letter arrives. In a very hard to read handwriting, it says something like: "Howdy. I, Torald, decide to join the Crescent Union. I am currently on a Quest, hence this letter. Let it be known that Lind has my vote. If I recall correctly I can vote for 1 time, so 1 vote for Lind. Signed, Torald Waruelf.

There's another word for that. Pessimism. None of this is for certain, if it were there'd be no need to vote. The question is, would you rather risk the dynasty of the Jei Pei's, a family who will eventually bring us back to these ancient feuds, or the kingdom of Guts, who wants to bring Eubric to what it can be?

"I'd rather just take the simple route, and not risk either of them.

Why risk everything, for...questionable gain, when we could - as you say - bring Eubric to what it can be, while it stays solidly in the people's hands, instead of the easily corrupted hands of potentates?"

Edited by Lind Whisperer

Because you're not winning. I respect your conviction, I really do. It's a marvel to witness. But going down with this ship like that does no one any favours. If Jun Ji Pei wins, everything Heroica has worked for goes up in smoke. For most the time I've been in Eubric, this is the chance I've been fighting for. A chance for true peace in Eubric, where the Houses aren't in feudal control. You may not win, but you can at least cast your vote to the next best thing.

Because you're not winning. I respect your conviction, I really do. It's a marvel to witness. But going down with this ship like that does no one any favours. If Jun Ji Pei wins, everything Heroica has worked for goes up in smoke. For most the time I've been in Eubric, this is the chance I've been fighting for. A chance for true peace in Eubric, where the Houses aren't in feudal control. You may not win, but you can at least cast your vote to the next best thing.

The Black Knight silently pointed to the letter that had just been placed upon the table, with "1 vote for Lind," in bold letters.

"Read the words written upon this letter, Dyric.

Those are the words of the people.

For centuries, for decades - people have given up, and 'cast their vote to the next best thing,' because it was all they could hope for. But now, we have a real chance - a chance to truly progress.

I could give up, Dyric.

But I will not.

Because I have a dream, of a free Eubric, and I will not give up that dream.

More words will come, Dyric. And they will drown out Guts, they will drown out Jun, and in one, mighty roar, they will shout Eubric into a better age."

Congrats. Now you're only eight behind Jun Ji Pei. Your 'mighty roar' is going to fall apart, Whisperer. You can even the score. Put all your party's votes to Guts and you'll balance the score.

"Master Whisperer, no man is ever free, he is always a slave to something, whether it be wealth, power, the approval of man, or his own ideals. Slowly and surely a man will use whatever power he has available to him to serve this master. Man as is his very nature, will work towards corruption and it bothers me deeply that you would deny this very aspect of yourself as if it did not exist. I would rather see a man honest about his own nature than one who attempts to conceal it with piety or in the name of liberty."

Congrats. Now you're only eight behind Jun Ji Pei. Your 'mighty roar' is going to fall apart, Whisperer. You can even the score. Put all your party's votes to Guts and you'll balance the score.

"There are Machinations at work here greater than you or I, Dyric. They are slowly turning, and slowly striking - all in their time."

"Master Whisperer, no man is ever free, he is always a slave to something, whether it be wealth, power, the approval of man, or his own ideals. Slowly and surely a man will use whatever power he has available to him to serve this master.

"The difference is, a man chooses to succumb to those kinds of slaveries. The slavery of a king's rule and order is forced upon him."

Man as is his very nature, will work towards corruption and it bothers me deeply that you would deny this very aspect of yourself as if it did not exist. I would rather see a man honest about his own nature than one who attempts to conceal it with piety or in the name of liberty."

The Black Knight looked at the vampire with some measure of disgust. "Which is why I am trying to implement a system that by its very nature hinders a man from taking advantage of it.

If you are determined to see evil in men trying to be good, cave-kin, you will never be disappointed. Man is evil, and will often work towards corruption.That doesn't mean a man can't work and wish, and strive with every fiber of his being to not be corrupted, to not give in to that evil.

And I, for one, would rather follow someone who tried to not be that way, who fought that temptation, instead of someone who cheerfully gave in to that desire."

Edited by Lind Whisperer

"The difference is, a man chooses to succumb to those kinds of slaveries. The slavery of a king's rule and order is forced upon him."

"As is an electorate's."

The Black Knight looked at the vampire with some measure of disgust. "Which is why I am trying to implement a system that by its very nature hinders a man from taking advantage of it.

If you are determined to see evil in men trying to be good, cave-kin, you will never be disappointed. Man is evil, and will often work towards corruption.That doesn't mean a man can't work and wish, and strive with every fiber of his being to not be corrupted, to not give in to that evil.

And I, for one, would rather follow someone who tried to not be that way, who fought that temptation, instead of someone who cheerfully gave in to that desire."

"Not once have you mentioned thus Master Whisperer, your entire argument has been based upon how you are above such concerns and longings, that is deception, not striving."

"As is an electorate's."

"Not in the same manner."

"Not once have you mentioned thus Master Whisperer, your entire argument has been based upon how you are above such concerns and longings, that is deception, not striving."

"My arguments have been based upon history, and the fact that a republic is better for the common man than a kingship or dynasty." Edited by Lind Whisperer