Sandy

Heroica RPG - Crescent Union

~This topic is for in-character interaction only, and only open to those joining the faction. Questions and out-of-character discussion should be posted into the General Discussion topic.~

heroica-crescentunionlogo.jpg

PROGRESS. CREATION. LIBERTY.

On a late summer's night, a secret assembly took place in the Chateau de Shadeaux, located high on top of the Crescent Hill. Count Noctus Shadeaux had heard that his rival merchant, Heinrich Hinckwell, had formed an alliance earlier that day, and thus summoned those great houses that had been left on the outs into his mansion: the Ji Pei, foreign ambassadors and innovators, and the Guild of Invision, alchemists that dominated the potion business in the city. To counter their rivals, the Shadeaux, the Ji Pei and the Guild of Invision put together the Crescent Union, as it would later be called, during that night.

chateaudeshadeaux.jpg

heroicanpc-noctusshadeaux.jpg
"It is insulting zat 'Einrich does not deem us worzy ouf zoining 'is effourts tu regain 'old ouf zis city!"

heroicanpc-shanxianjipei.jpg
"But Count Shadeaux, we are as much of a threat to him and his allies as the Wolfgang. Surely you understand that. Look at us; a true menagerie of foreigners and minority races."

heroicanpc-madameladybug2.jpg
"Hmmm, yes. We have all changed this city in our own way too, we have."

heroicanpc-alphonsecula.jpg
"U'lalah ith right; only ve knov vhat vreedom truly meanth! It ith conthant change and adaptation! Eubric cannot remain vree in the handth ov Volvgang nor thith Thungold Allianthe!"

heroicanpc-umbrashadeaux.jpg
"Exactement! Zat is why we 'ave to create an opposing force, one to be reckoned wiz! We must give zis city a ruleur who can truly change it four ze betteur."

heroicanpc-jun2.jpg
"But who would be such a leader? I would say you are a force to be reckoned with, Umbra. With your cunning and determination, nothing could stand in our way."

"Do not sell yourself short, my son. You are wise beyond your years, and your military training will be desperately needed in the times to come."

heroicanpc-leelong.jpg
"I agree with your mother, Jun. You would make a fine king for us, and make Eubric a close ally with the mighty Xu."

"What about our Guildmaster, hmmm? The Masked Man has been around for centuries, and with his mastermind at our helm, nothing would stand in our way."

heroicanpc-maskedman.jpg
"Speculation is worthless. We need to see which one among us is the most popular - that is the only way to beat Ulric to the throne. I say we do as the others did and call the Heroicans to join us. They are not always trustworthy, but if we can convince those most loyal to our cause to spread the word, we could win over the common folk's favor."

"Zo, we shall leave it tu 'Eroica tu decide who becomes our noble ruler, n'est-ce pas?"

All three families agreed to this, and thus choice members of Heroica were sent letters to invite them into the Crescent Union.

JOINING THE CRESCENT UNION:
~ If a player character has reputation with the Shadeaux, the Ji Pei or the Guild of Invision, they can opt to join the Crescent Union by posting a "letter" where he or she expresses their will to this topic.
~ Once the character has joined, they will lose all reputation with the Hinckwells, the Bonapartes and the Ziegfrieds, including access to the expert job classes those Houses offer. Reputation with the Wolfgang is not affected.
~ If at any point the character wants to quit the Crescent Union, they will lose all reputation among the three Houses in it as well.
~ By joining the faction, the player character has access to the faction-specific shop, as well as any future events held by the faction.
~ Some future quests will be geared towards a certain faction, while members of the opposing faction may be locked out of them. So please consider your options before joining!

MEMBERS:
16259917906_71ef91daca_t.jpgAtramor Gibbin (CallMePie)
15856534637_fe5336c6b9_t.jpgBoris Bruhalv (Waterbrick Down)
shadow_demon_square_picture.jpgThe Demon Germ (samuraiturtle)
8665348867_7a3fe1b756_t.jpgDyric Rone (The Legonater)
19745451253_0970632efb_m.jpgEzeran Yanarr (MysticModulus)
19915137201_c8843378f1_t.jpgGuts Holla (Scubacarrot)
hoke_ableword_1b.jpgHoke Ablesword (UsernameMDM)
ava-hybros.jpgHybros (JimBee)
20597927795_f17fb07926_t.jpgLind Whisperer (Lind Whisperer)
dscn0652.jpgNa'im Thamir (Enceladus)
ufBQ5WT.pngSorrow (Endgame)
m0BoJW5.pngTerry Yelnats (Endgame)
tesnisreturn-sigimgsized.jpgTesni Hightribe (Peppermint_M)
7928526094_0c2174ef6b_t.jpgThormanil Nihai (swils)
photo-thumb-43982.jpg?_r=1438604472Torald Waruelf (Alfadas)
ava-warlen2.jpgWarlen Melimane (The Chosen Minifigure)

CRESCENT STORE:
heroica-gratingstone.jpgGrating Stone (WP +1 to one weapon upon use.) Costs 250 gold.
heroica-firstaidkit_zpsa1f5ce9b.jpgFirst Aid Kit (Completely restores health and removes all negative effects for the entire party once when used.) Costs 150 gold.
heroica-librasignet.jpgLibra Signet (This sealing ring bears the secret emblem of the merchant’s guild. The owner can purchase items at a discount (decided by the QM) in any store during a quest. Does not apply to the Marketplace.) Costs 500 gold.
heroica-moebiusring.jpgMoebius Ring (This ring only has one side, symbolizing the eternal cycle of life. The wearer is automatically revived to full health once per battle; accessory.) Costs 1000 gold.
heroica-tritechenhancement.jpgTritech Enhancement (A device that can be attached to any weapon inseparably. The enhanced weapon ignores defense and damages undead.) Costs 1000 gold.

FIRST FACTION EVENT: KINGMAKERS
~ All members of the Crescent Union may suggest one candidate to become the ruler supported by the faction. You may only vote for one candidate, but you may change your vote as long as the voting is on.
~ The candidate can be a known NPC or a player character, but not a completely new, made-up character. It has to be a humanoid, not animal, plant or an inanimate object.
~ The influence that the player character's suggestion has is affected by the reputation he or she has among the Houses: each good reputation gives 1 influence, great reputation 2 influence, and outstanding reputation 3 influence.
~ The voting lasts until the end of the year 2015. Once the event is over, the candidate with the most influence behind them will become the faction's choice for the first king or queen of Eubric.

Votes:
Guts Holla: 11 (5 votes by Guts, 2 votes by Dyric, 1 by Na'im, 1 by Terry, 2 by Boris)
Jun Ji Pei: 13 (5 votes by Atramor, 3 votes by Warlen, 5 votes by Hybros)
Lind Whisperer: 5 (2 votes by Lind, 2 by Demon Germ, 1 by Torald)
Umbra Shadeaux: 4 (4 votes by Thormanil)

One day, sometime in the end of summer, a figure walks into the headquarters for the Crescent Union. A weapon on either hip, a brimmed, feathered hat resting on a hairless scalp, overcoat settling down after the man's entrance to the manor. With a glint in his eye, Guts Holla, Experienced Hero of Heroica, Captain of the Wind Thief, Orc-Kin to the free people of Baltarok, Serpent Skinner of the Fields of Eubric, took in his surroundings, and bows his head to the people present.

"Ah, Master Holla, you are not here to join the Crescent Union, are you not?"

19915137201_c8843378f1_t.jpg

"Indeed. I heard you're looking for a king. I know just the right man for the job."

Guts Holla joins the Crescent Union, and supports himself for the position of Ruler for a free and democratic Eubric.

Edited by Scubacarrot

A short time after the Marauder visited, a second figure slowly strode into the great chamber, and bowed before the great assembly.

"..."

20597927795_f17fb07926_t.jpg

"..."

"...Do Ah know you?"

"...Lind Whisperer? I...protected your wine?"

"..."

"...It was a while ago."

"I assume from your visit - and those dragon wings - you have decided to join the Crescent Union?"

"Yes, m'lady."

"Then feel welcomed.

I assume you are going to cast your vote, as to whom shall be king?"

"Yes, m'lady."

"For whom then, do you vote? Umbra, Jun, Altair - your fellow Hero Guts?"

The Munchkin took a deep breathe.

"No, m'lady."

"Then who?"

Lind then said one of the hardest things he'd ever have to say.

"I...nominate myself."

The entire court laughed.

The Lady wiped tears from her eyes.

"I'm sorry - Lind, I believe you said? - but even you should see why that would never work out. You're a...well..."

heroicanpc-umbrashadeaux.jpg

"Ah running joke. Wi' a ba' acccent."

"And even the few heroes that you haven't inexorably ticked off wouldn't think of voting for you - they'd vote for someone else, just for the brief humor of telling you that to your face. Why...why would you think - and I must apologize for my bluntness - why would you think this could ever work?"

The Munchkin squared his shoulders.

"...Because I'm the only one here, or that will come here, that specifically doesn't want to be a king. Everyone else - they want to be a king, they want to be the leader. All I want to do is lead, and clean this...battered world up.

Every tyrant, every dictator ever - they wanted to be king. They wanted the power, the lux.

I don't."

The court was silent for a moment.

"Even so, you've still made so many enemies, so many mistakes, that I must wonder..."

The Munchkin dipped his head, then raised it again.

"We've all made mistakes, M'lady. All one can do, is to keep trying to fight the good fight. If you lay down, you've lost. You'll never loose if you keep standing. You may not win...but you shan't loose."

"Very well, then. Let it be recorded that Lind Whisperer nominates Lind Whisperer for the Crescent Union's nomination for King of Eubric."

Edited by Lind Whisperer

A letter appeared on a desk in the Chateau de Shadeaux, delivered by an ethereal bird that dissipated as quickly as it had arrived.

'Joining Crescent Union

Don't like politics but you seem like decent guys

I cast five votes for Jun Ji Pei to become king

Will swing by to buy stuff later

-AG '

Taking place after 139, yada yada.

With hesitation, Dyic steps into the building. There was a lot about the Crescent Union that irked him - and even more about the split in general. Conflict was bound to happen. Yet the simple fact was, Eubric needed a party with the best interests in mind, and there wasn't a single house member he trusted for that role.

I join the Crescent Union and cast my votes to Guts Holla for King.

Warlen steps into the building. Politics had never been his thing, no siree, especially not now. However, he owed some thanks to a certain Ji-Pei. So, Warlen joined the Crescent Union and cast his 2 votes for Jun Ji Pei.

As he walked out, he saw Count Shadeaux. He nodded to his first employer in Heroica, and continued onwards, back to the hall.

At some point in time, Guts enters the Crescent Hall headquarters. He coughs before he begins to speak to those present.

"It's high time I laid all cards on the table. Why should I become Leader of Eubric. Is it because I am like all of you, once perhaps a foreigner or an outsider, but now firmly bound to this city by blood and gold? Is it because I have the power to do what others can't? Is it simply because of fate or will of the gods? I will claim none of those. Others have ties and strength, same as me, and I will leave destiny for a discussion in years to come. I will become the ruler of Eubric, not because of my strength or my blood, but because of what I believe in. I believe in a Eubric that can become more than what it is. I believe in a city that will throw off the shackles of ignorance and hopelessness. For too long this city has been a ship sailing along a rocky shore, battered by the waves of the malicious and reefs of the greedy. It is up to us to refit the ship and sail it into calmer waters. We will make this Freeport free again, restore the liberty denied to us by a vicious circle of criminality and persecution.

But words are just words. If that was all it took, a minstrel would be King. A song will not fill a belly, nor block a blade. At the end of the day, it is metal that we need to sustain us. Gold and steel, to defend, plant and trade. The northern raiders won't be held back by the few Bonapartes forever, the eastern and southern states stir. Dastan is quiet now, for how long? When will the Kingdoms look for a new target for their armies, now that there is peace with Baltarok? We need to look to our defenses before it's too late. We have independence, and have had it for ages, but it is not guaranteed. Only too well do I know what happens when that freedom is threatened. We would lose our essence, our spirit, and perish. So we must look to our defense, however we can, so none may threaten what is ours. We need trade as we need the blood in our veins. We need to tighten our bonds with our fellow city states, from all directions. We have always relied on trade to remain flourishing, and have become a center for knowledge and prosperity as a result. So we must deal with the side-effects of the city's wealth. the Sungold Alliance are not our opponents to be trampled, and the Wolfgang is no longer a simple organization of thieves and thugs, if it ever was. After the Crescent Union steps forward to take up our leading role, we need to initiate dialogue with these factions, and get them to join us in our cause for prosperity and freedom. All voices must be heard, they cannot be ignored, if we are to be a united front.

And still, you might ask yourself, why me? It is simply because I have the knowledge and will to do what, and as is needed to get to where we need to go, for we cannot stay where we are. Most of you know me. I have lead the party that freed the free city of Miranda from it's invaders, I have lead the party that achieved the standing peace of Baltarok, and have done many other things in service of Heroica, and before that, that should speak to my ability and my drive. I will do what is right. Be that with speech, blade or whatever tool is there. Vote for me, I will promise you, you will not regret it."

A folded flyer just laying around the Crescent Union "Headquarters" until someone unfolds it and read what is on the back of it....

So you guys are forming a lame awesome "club". Well since this is the only "club" that seems to "like" me. (I guess this is the only one I have any reputation with, unless the "wolves" desperately want me.) To sum things up I got some reputation with the Shadeaux & the Guild of Invision.

P.S. It also looks like you are electing a "club" president. Well since one is good as any other, I might as vote for, Wind Spitter (Lind Whisperer) for President. Is that his name?

The Demon Germ

OoC: Edit - I just bolded some things.

Edited by samuraiturtle

OOC: This post, fairly obviously, takes place post quest 136

In the darkened corner of the chateau de Shadeux dining room, a lone figure applauds respectfully at the end of Gut’s speech along with the rest of the assembled crowd and makes ready to retire for the night, when he is interrupted by an eccentric figure who bounds over to him

"Master Thamir is it-Voctor Cuala of ze guild of invision, at your service-I have heard only good thingth about you vend, you zertinaly did ze guild a great service in thath vasty vookeater business." exclaims the vampire all rather breathlesly

dscn0652.jpg

Na’im glances the doctor up and down "Truly, I am glad to hear that the guild thinks so highly of me, considering that I did not see a peep out of them for that whole quest." he says coldly

"Yes, well…" he vampire shuffles his feet akwardly "I have seenth you here several vimes master Thamir. Do I taketh this to meanth zat you vave decided to support ze union?"

dscn0652.jpg

Na'im sighs "I have been thinking...this city is broken. The people are terrified-just in the last few months, we have had that triffid business, and before that those vigilante automata under the Eubric knight on the streets. The people demand a leader who they think will protect them. But who should it be? I have sided with the crescent Union, for it is my belief that not only do they have the progressiveness of the Wolfgang that the people seem to desire, but also the credibility and tradition of the Sungold alliance. Now I have just to choose a candidate to back, so here I have been these last few nights listening to the speeches of this candidate and that. It is a dangerous buisness dabbling in politics, many times worse than love or war, and last time I tried that trick back when I was a cleric in Fenario, it almost cost me my life...but, I learnt some hard lessons on my latest trip to Fenario, and I know of my mistakes...this time things will be different." he says with a sense of finality

"And tonight? Ze is a good veaker is he vot?" asks the vampire eagerly

dscn0652.jpg

Na'im looks up again and blinks "Oh, I was thinking very much the same… what be his name?"

"Why, Vuts Holla, captain of ze wind zief and a vell respected member of your own organisation" says the vampire immediatly

dscn0652.jpg

Na’im observes how the crowds eyes never leave the experienced marauder "They like him don’t they-respect him." Na'im murmurs "Not like the other ones-you know the Aoi princeling and that Munchkin fellow-this master Holla actually looks like he has the steel to last more than a day in the cut-throat world of Eubric politics."

The vampire strokes his chin "Ze is quite a character for zure…ze former arms dealer, vurned hero and now a politician. Zey say ze will be able to win over the ordinary sailors and dock workers like no one else and for zure, he has the zuthlesness necessary to be king…a good candidate to suporth no?"

dscn0652.jpg

Na’im smiles knowingly at the vampire and drops his slip of paper into the hands of a nearby servant "My dear doctor, if there is one thing you should know about me, it is that I only ever support the person with the best chances of success, and then claim the credit for it."

Na’im places his single vote on Guts Holla as the crescent union candidate for king

Na’im whispers to the vampire "You Tell this Guts Holla that he owes me one if he ever makes it to kingship-and that I will be expecting my reward to be a good one."

Edited by Enceladus

Not quite fashionably late, the Black Knight quietly entered the Crescent Union hall, and took his place patiently among the slowly swelling crowds. After the Marauder finished his speech, the Knight stepped to the stage, and quietly spoke - just loud for the entire room to hear.

23666457799_a187f508b9_c.jpg

"Recently, a friend of mine asked me a very good question. He said, "Lind, what makes you think you'll be able to enact any meaningful change? Eubric is a city filled with dozens of competing interests few of which may be mutually satisfied.".

Under normal circumstances, under normal thinking - there has ever only been one answer to such a problem. When there have been two - or three - or even a dozen persons, all trying to compete, there has ever only been one solution - the stronger party wins...and the weaker party loses."

He looked around the room. "I think we've all, at some point, been that second party.

But less than a week ago, I was on a quest. It was a pretty simple quest, all things considered. We just had to retrieve some rare leaves, as an employer's present for his brother. Everything was going quite well - until we hit a snag."

He chuckled.

"Those have a strange way of popping up, don't they?

You see, another chap was after the leaf - he needed it for a cure to his sister's illness. He had a bit of gold on him for the leaf, but most of us had rather unblemished quest histories, and we all wanted to keep them that way.

Now, under normal thinking, there were only two solutions.

The kind-hearted one - give the leaf to him, save his sister's life.

The self-serving one - keep the leaf, keep our quest logs clean.

Under normal thinking, those were the only options.

But...I don't know what it was. Maybe it was a lucky spark, if you believe in that sort of thing. But something in me said, "No." I was tired of these two-option solutions.

I didn't want to ruin my quest log...but neither could I bring myself to tell that chap that his sister was going to die.

We were getting a little heated - sides were being drawn - but then I stepped forward.

I said, "NO."

I said, "We are going to stand here, and talk, until we find a solution that works for everyone."

And you know what?

We did.

The quest requirements just said, "Gift from Eubric hills." The chap had gold to spare, the brother liked swords, and we'd passed a nice blacksmith on the way there.

We found a solution that benefited everyone."

He looked around the room.

"Think of that.

Everyone.

Under normal thinking, there were only two solutions to the problem. The stronger party wins...and the weaker party loses.

But why?

Why, why, why, are we accepting it as foregone that one of us has to lose? Why couldn't we both win, in these struggles, in these matters of competing interest?

Yes, solutions may not be easy to find - but they are there to be found!

If tonight, in these short few weeks until the election closes - if we create another dynasty, eventually, you will be the weaker party. Yes, while everyone's trying to curry favor, or pay for your vote, you may be the stronger party, for a very short time...

But only for a short while.

Eventually, there will come a day when you are the weaker party. And if we create another dynasty, you won't have someone advocating for you, and demanding that "No! We will find a route that benefits us all.".

There will only ever be two solutions again...and in such cases, the weaker party always looses.

Brothers...sisters...friends.

We are the Crescent Union.

Let us not create another dynasty.

Let us create a common unity.

He took a sip of water.

“My opponent speaks of Dastan, of Baltarok, of the Kingdoms. Yes, indeed, we need to defend ourselves - but what kind of defense would just another dynasty pose? Nothing but the guards paid by a dynasty's gold - and such guards are sodden, sluggish, and slaves to that gold. They do not own it, it owns them.

Gold will help a dynasty rule a city for a time, yes - but it will not be you that rules such a city. You will be the ones ruled over. You will be the ones trodden down into the muck, the ones that lose, under such rule. Yes, perhaps a city ruled by gold can defend itself - but so can a city filled with freemen, a city of men, determined to make a better life together. And what can compare to a city, defended by freemen?

The city ruled by gold defends itself, yes - but it is a perpetual target. My opponent is correct - the Kingdoms will look for a new target. And a city ruled by gold, is a target ripe for the picking. Its guards are either sodden, or slaves, its storehouses filled with treasures free for the taking. Under such a dynasty, we can never hope for freedom. We will always be under gold's lash, always fearing."

He stepped forward, his eyes glowing.

"But think of the city, defended by freemen! The foreign kingdom often looks lovingly, at another dynasty's riches. But when it beholds a city, filled with FREE MEN, who defend THEIR possessions, THEIR treasures - it draws back sharply! For it knows, that THEY will defend their treasures to the last extremity - that to attack them, is to pay a hundred gold coins for every silver copper gained!

Let us make a City of Free Men. Do not, please, create yet another dynasty! We have a chance, my brothers, my sisters, my...friends, to create a city where WE are the rulers - where ALL have status!

Edited by Lind Whisperer

You speak of unity as if you know what that means. Where you at Baltarok? Did you run up against Wren, or the Regret? I would love to speak of true unity as if it were attainable. Anyone who knows me would know that I live and breathe by the third option. The sad fact of the matter is not everyone is willing to co-operate. Sometimes, you come down to two equally right forces and you simply can't reconcile that. Not everyone can be reasoned with. What do you do then, Whisperer?

True democracy only works as long as everyone is satisfied with it, and we are in our nature unsatisfied. Vampire, U'kin, Jei Pei - you here in particular have reason to feel unsatisfied. Sungold would have you held back and restrained. They believe control is they way that Eubric will return to former glory. They don't realize that our freedom is what makes this culture unique, this collection of groups and peoples from around the globe. Yet this is also what makes 'democracy' impossible. We as a whole could never come to a consensus, this split proves that. What we need is a leader who can be pragmatic - who will care about raising Eubric instead of themselves. Who can be unbiased in the face of a storm of unsatisfaction.

This is why I nominate Guts. Because Guts has seen war. He's seen diversity, he's seen division, and he ignores it - moving past petty trials and focusing on the heart of the matter. While men like you and me would strive for unity, it has no place here. A pragmatic man like Guts is the only way we will rise above this needless squabble. We must focus on the good of Eubric, and I believe Guts, in his determination, is capable of that. He's more experience than you, Whisperer, and he's less biased than you, Jun Ji-Pei. While I hold the highest respect for you and your country, the fact is you are too near the heart of the matter to see things with true clarity. The leader of the Crescent Union must be higher than to focus on 'us or Sungold'. They need to think first and foremost to Eubric, and I believe Guts is worthy of that position.

You speak of unity as if you know what that means. Where you at Baltarok? Did you run up against Wren, or the Regret? I would love to speak of true unity as if it were attainable. Anyone who knows me would know that I live and breathe by the third option. The sad fact of the matter is not everyone is willing to co-operate. Sometimes, you come down to two equally right forces and you simply can't reconcile that. Not everyone can be reasoned with. What do you do then, Whisperer?

"Then you sit down, and you argue, and you discuss, until you reconcile them.

If they are truly in the right, and they are truly trying to be upright, then they will be willing to reason."

True democracy only works as long as everyone is satisfied with it, and we are in our nature unsatisfied. Vampire, U'kin, Jei Pei - you here in particular have reason to feel unsatisfied. Sungold would have you held back and restrained. They believe control is they way that Eubric will return to former glory. They don't realize that our freedom is what makes this culture unique, this collection of groups and peoples from around the globe. Yet this is also what makes 'democracy' impossible. We as a whole could never come to a consensus, this split proves that. What we need is a leader who can be pragmatic - who will care about raising Eubric instead of themselves. Who can be unbiased in the face of a storm of unsatisfaction.

The Black Knight nodded. "Quite true.

And that is why I am not advocating a democracy, but a freemens' republic. A complete democracy can never be stable - this is true. But a republic brings together the best of all worlds. A strong, pragmatic leader - but one who understands these freedoms which make us unique."

This is why I nominate Guts. Because Guts has seen war. He's seen diversity, he's seen division, and he ignores it - moving past petty trials and focusing on the heart of the matter. While men like you and me would strive for unity, it has no place here. A pragmatic man like Guts is the only way we will rise above this needless squabble. We must focus on the good of Eubric, and I believe Guts, in his determination, is capable of that. He's more experience than you, Whisperer, and he's less biased than you, Jun Ji-Pei. While I hold the highest respect for you and your country, the fact is you are too near the heart of the matter to see things with true clarity. The leader of the Crescent Union must be higher than to focus on 'us or Sungold'. They need to think first and foremost to Eubric, and I believe Guts is worthy of that position.

The Black Knight stepped forward. "But you yourself said that the perfect leader must be unbiased. Guts may have some little more experience than me, yes, he may have some more little time in the field - but ever since I have known him, he has said, "I will be King of Eubric!". Dynasties are by their very nature, unbiased and unfavorable, and a dynasty is what he aims to create!"

He drank another sip of water.

"Yes, ignoring aside past problems may push them aside for a moment - but they still exist."

He turned to the crowd.

"Suppose that 'small problem,' that 'petty trial' is yours. Do you really want someone in charge who will just ignore it? Or do you want someone who will consider it at its full merit, in addition to the 'heart of the matter'?"

He began to pace for a moment, before turning back to the crowd.

"We need people who will pay attention to all problems, who will trouble themselves about all problems, who will work at all problems until they are solved.

Because that is how a republic works.

Because that is how we progress from tyranny, to freedom."

The Black Knight stepped forward. "But you yourself said that the perfect leader must be unbiased. Guts may have some little more experience than me, yes, he may have some more little time in the field - but ever since I have known him, he has said, "I will be King of Eubric!". Dynasties are by their very nature, unbiased and unfavorable, and a dynasty is what he aims to create!"

As if you're so different. You may insist that you have no desire to rule, but you were still the first to step forth. You talk about creating a united republic, but then go talking about being a single leader as if the two weren't mutually exclusive. How do you see this turning out? What is your end goal, Whisperer? Or do you really believe you are a candidate purely because you 'don't want to be king'? I can't stand this indecision, married with a lack of vision. Everybody wants to rule the world, and I don't believe you to be any different, so don't act so high and mighty.

You claim Guts is biased, but don't say how. He's not from Eubric. He has no stake here, save the people. He has no need nor desire to forge dynasties, he's here to save people. Or are you forgetting the slums of Eubric, where the poor lay dying and orcs yell for mercy? Are those the 'freemen' you speak of? Eubric isn't free. It's gripped in fear, from witches and monsters that Heroica is only barely holding back, and from the politics that have choked out the light for so long. Or have you forgotten how we got here? Do you really think the oppressed want more politics? A republic is all well and good in concept, but it's not what Eubric needs. Eubric needs a singular leader with singular focus - stripping down the needless politics and raising the people once again.

Boris pushed through the doors into Chateau and silently made his way among the columns listening to the heated debate beginning in the halls. The vampire paused a moment before fixing his name to the register of Crescent Union members. As Lind continued his speeches a cowled ranger spoke up.

True democracy only works as long as everyone is satisfied with it, and we are in our nature unsatisfied. Vampire, U'kin, Jei Pei - you here in particular have reason to feel unsatisfied.

"Here, here. As the good book says 'All that falls within man's sight will never satisfy him, nor will calamity or expiry ever be satiated.' sayings of Monsolo stanza 27, line 20."

As if you're so different. You may insist that you have no desire to rule, but you were still the first to step forth.

"No, Mssr Dyric, you do both your candidate and myself a dishonor. I did not rush to the front as you suggest, but was in fact, merely the second to volunteer for this job - and, if we consider Mssr Ji Pei, I am the third."
You talk about creating a united republic, but then go talking about being a single leader as if the two weren't mutually exclusive. How do you see this turning out? What is your end goal, Whisperer? Or do you really believe you are a candidate purely because you 'don't want to be king'? I can't stand this indecision, married with a lack of vision.
"Well put, and well asked.

My end goal? The creation of a republic. A city of freedom, where every man has a vote.

Yes, I seem to talk about two different things, because I work with strange tools, because I am trying to take one thing, and create it into something very different. The ideal end goal, is a city of freedom, a republic body. But for the moment, we do not have such things - we have only this body, and we only have two choices.

To create another dynasty, or to set into motion a republic."

Everybody wants to rule the world, and I don't believe you to be any different, so don't act so high and mighty.

"Well, I'm terribly sorry, but I'm afraid I break that pattern - I very much don't want to rule the world. And please - let's try not to stoop to insults this early in the debate."

You claim Guts is biased, but don't say how. He's not from Eubric. He has no stake here, save the people. He has no need nor desire to forge dynasties, he's here to save people. Or are you forgetting the slums of Eubric, where the poor lay dying and orcs yell for mercy?

"They are the very people I think of, Comrade., the very people who need a republic.

They do not need another ruler, to make coin off of them, they do not need another person to ignore them - they need someone who will listen to their problems, and who will consider them, and who will find solutions. And unless you misrepresent your client, Comrade, he does not seem very favorable towards the idea of considering problems that are...well, 'beneath him'."

Are those the 'freemen' you speak of? Eubric isn't free. It's gripped in fear, from witches and monsters that Heroica is only barely holding back, and from the politics that have choked out the light for so long. Or have you forgotten how we got here? Do you really think the oppressed want more politics? A republic is all well and good in concept, but it's not what Eubric needs. Eubric needs a singular leader with singular focus - stripping down the needless politics and raising the people once again.

"We are all tired of politics, my friend. But if we create a dynasty, more politics is all that shall be seen.

A dynasty does not 'raise the people'. It raises a few, that it favors, and it tramples the rest down. A dynasty makes politics to break the people.

But a republic - it makes politics to raise them."

But a republic - it makes politics to raise them."

"All this talk of a republic is well and good, and even if you do have good intentions, Whisperer, is it? But a republic requires a contingent of upright individuals whom must remain unsoiled by the very corruptible power which they yield, not to mention they must be united by a singular goal, design, and ideology. Eubric, as this other gentleman has declared, is a city of many different peoples, races, creeds, and beliefs, not all of which are always compatible or may be reasoned through or with."

"All this talk of a republic is well and good, and even if you do have good intentions, Whisperer, is it?

But a republic requires a contingent of upright individuals whom must remain unsoiled by the very corruptible power which they yield, not to mention they must be united by a singular goal, design, and ideology.

"Indeed. And that is one of the functions of a republic - to find such a contingent."

Eubric, as this other gentleman has declared, is a city of many different peoples, races, creeds, and beliefs, not all of which are always compatible or may be reasoned through or with."

"Quite true - not all the beliefs in this city are easily compatible. But, with enough time, and enough attention, there is always a solution. Yes, it may take time to convince the other person of this, yes, it may take many hours of shouting at what seem like deaf ears - but such is why a republic has a leader. So that there might be someone willing to spend those hours, fighting for everyone's best interests."

Stop. Stop saying the word dynasty. This isn't a dynasty. We aren't creating a locked heritage of monarchical rulers. We're talking about one man, Guts Holla. Your instance on referring to his rule as a 'tyranny' or a 'dynasty' is slanderous to my candidate. "Problems that are 'beneath him'"? Guts has spoken openly about his desire to help Eubric throw off its shackles. All you seem to be doing is repeating how we need a republic. Explain, elaborate. How exactly are you going to bring about this change?

"Indeed. And that is one of the functions of a republic - to find such a contingent."

"Quite true - not all the beliefs in this city are easily compatible. But, with enough time, and enough attention, there is always a solution. Yes, it may take time to convince the other person of this, yes, it may take many hours of shouting at what seem like deaf ears - but such is why a republic has a leader. So that there might be someone willing to spend those hours, fighting for everyone's best interests."

"And that is where I believe you may be misguided. Time cannot fix all things. Just as Ennoc and Tarok are as immiscible as oil and water, so too you will find some divisions within this city."

Stop. Stop saying the word dynasty. This isn't a dynasty. We aren't creating a locked heritage of monarchical rulers. We're talking about one man, Guts Holla. Your instance on referring to his rule as a 'tyranny' or a 'dynasty' is slanderous to my candidate. "Problems that are 'beneath him'"? Guts has spoken openly about his desire to help Eubric throw off its shackles. All you seem to be doing is repeating how we need a republic. Explain, elaborate. How exactly are you going to bring about this change?

"One man, who has consistently spoken of his intentions to become King over Eubric. And history fails to find a single king that did not eventually set about setting up a dynasty. And dynasties are by their nature, tyrannical.

According to your testimony, your candidate ignores small people's problems, in favor of the 'heart of the matter'. But it is those problems that should be our problems - the small people, who can't speak up for themselves."

He took a sip of water.

"How will I set up a republic? An excellent question.

For the very immediate future, I will create an Electorate's Counsel. A select group of Heroes, and other worthy souls, to advise me on the various matters I am not as well aware upon as they.

For the immediate future, so that there is something in place, I will appoint them, but as soon as is advisable, I will cause elections to be held so that the people can voice their say in the matter, as to whom they would like as Counsel. In time, even I will come under this process, and the people can say if they find me satisfactory.

Beyond these actions, my plans are admittedly not entirely formed. I need the ear of my Counsel - and the people's opinions, certainly, but specifically, my Counsel - so that we may confer, and begin to set up the next stages - with the public, and the Heroes, being fully informed as to each upcoming step, and the intentions behind it.

It is not a perfect plan, but it bids fair, as it goes."

"And that is where I believe you may be misguided. Time cannot fix all things. Just as Ennoc and Tarok are as immiscible as oil and water, so too you will find some divisions within this city."

"Ennoc and Tarok may indeed be immiscible - but yet, they coexist. Somehow, some way, they are both part of the Pantheon.

True, perfect agreement is not possible - but co-existence is."

"One man, who has consistently spoken of his intentions to become King over Eubric. And history fails to find a single king that did not eventually set about setting up a dynasty. And dynasties are by their nature, tyrannical.

According to your testimony, your candidate ignores small people's problems, in favor of the 'heart of the matter'. But it is those problems that should be our problems - the small people, who can't speak up for themselves."

He took a sip of water.

"How will I set up a republic? An excellent question.

For the very immediate future, I will create an Electorate's Counsel. A select group of Heroes, and other worthy souls, to advise me on the various matters I am not as well aware upon as they.

For the immediate future, so that there is something in place, I will appoint them, but as soon as is advisable, I will cause elections to be held so that the people can voice their say in the matter, as to whom they would like as Counsel. In time, even I will come under this process, and the people can say if they find me satisfactory.

Beyond these actions, my plans are admittedly not entirely formed. I need the ear of my Counsel - and the people's opinions, certainly, but specifically, my Counsel - so that we may confer, and begin to set up the next stages - with the public, and the Heroes, being fully informed as to each upcoming step, and the intentions behind it.

It is not a perfect plan, but it bids fair, as it goes."

"Ennoc and Tarok may indeed be immiscible - but yet, they coexist. Somehow, some way, they are both part of the Pantheon.

True, perfect agreement is not possible - but co-existence is."

"I wouldn't call at each other's throats coexistence," The vampire chuckled. "You say history cannot provide an example of a king that did not setup a dynasty, I can give you several and as the cowled fellow has pointed out, the equivilation of dynasty and tyranny is but an association fallacy. As for this electoral council, how will you ensure it does not become corrupt itself? And elections? Who do you see running these, from whence do you believe the capital to establish all of this will come?"

"I wouldn't call at each other's throats coexistence," The vampire chuckled.

The Black Knight chuckled. "Well, their followers at least manage to coexist somehow. I spent a few weeks questing with an Ogre a few weeks back - really brilliant fellow..."

"You say history cannot provide an example of a king that did not setup a dynasty, I can give you several...

"Please do." The Black Knight frowned. "Because all of the ones I have come across, either failed to set one up because they were so brutal to their people that they were quickly disposed of, or their sons set the dynasty up, which is the same thing in the end."
and as the cowled fellow has pointed out, the equivilation of dynasty and tyranny is but an association fallacy.
"It's an inevitability, is what it is." The Black Knight shrugged. "History bears that out."
As for this electoral council, how will you ensure it does not become corrupt itself?
"Regular elections, a common hall, so that the people can observe all but the most private goings-on, a careful record of all conversations, and the solid rule that all private conversations will be shared with the public as soon as is possible to do so without endangering Eubric."
And elections? Who do you see running these, from whence do you believe the capital to establish all of this will come?"

"It's a pretty poor kingdom, or republic, that can't afford a man standing by a booth for a day." Edited by Lind Whisperer

Bantering in the Hall prompted Thormanil to see what all the fuss was about. Politics was never his game, but this rift in the houses was causing quite a stir. With little interest in getting too involved, he scrawled his name on the roster for the Crescent Union, and offered his support for Umbra Shadeaux (4).

Edited by swils