Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Heroica RPG - Sungold Alliance

"Hmph. Clearly Blackgull has the right idea. If we organized the poor then they could spend their efforts fighting pirates and gods know what else instead of each other or mugging people in the street. Nothing like a sword in hand and some good training to straighten the urchins out."

Jinnipher votes for Option 1.

Boomingham steps into the Villa and finds a comfortable chair to relax in.  He watches as the members of his Alliance cast their votes.  There are a few he doesn't know, and he feels that he ought to.  He beckons over the warrior moon elf he does not recognize, as well as who he assumes will be his closest advisor, Nerwen Calmcacil.  He runs his gaze over both of them before barking out a laugh.

"Seems I chose the right side of this mess.  The Alliance with the pretty elf ladies is surely the right place to be."  He grins sheepishly at Nerwen and confidently at Jinnipher.  "I am preparing to cast my vote, and am inclined to order a conscription.  I think you know just as well as anyone the good some military service did me in regards to shaping up my act, Nerwen.  But I'd be remiss if I acted without first hearing what you have to say.  Don't you think the people of the Hovels should be whipped into shape, and then fill their brains with something good?"

Jinnipher scoffs. "If this is the side for just pretty faces then you're on the wrong one, old man. And I'm not here for scenery. It's time to whip this place into shape. Besides, aren't you King? Do you even get a vote or do you just decide?"

Men fight to protect what they have. A man with nothing will not fight well.

And how can those of fighting age be in good condition to fight if they do not have a good roof over their heads.

Yes, military service may be beneficial. But if you conscript them, you will spend more on chain gangs and catching deserters than you would on simply giving those of the hovels something to keep and fight for.

Following Nerwen into the Hall, Matthias registers his name as a member of the Sungold Alliance and registers his vote for option 2. For the life of him he can't think how either option will truly work, but his instinct tells him increasing the power of the various paramilitary forces in the city isn't the way to reduce violence.

Eric swaggered into the villa, a sharp smell of sea salts following his wake. Having heard there was a vote on a proposition, the tall Nord took a seat and listened to the options presented by Blackgull and Heinrich. As one by one the other members of the Alliance voiced their opinions, Eric rolled his eyes then shook his hand. He waved away their voices with his hand as if he was dealing with children.

"Option two is clearly the only right option.", the Nord said with a commanding voice. It didn't take long before his trademark wolfish grin appeared on his face. Eric stroked his beard and started speaking. He stood up from his chair, greatly increasing his stature and presence. "Conscripting the masses? Ha! The mere thought itself is foolish. Your solution for the Hovels is to take away the people's freedom by forcing them into service? Never have I heard such nonsense! Sure, they'll have something on their hands those few years in service, but they'll return to a run-down neighbourhood right after that. Doing service is not a long term plan and is only beneficial to people such as yourselves. Teaching them some actual skills they can use in life and providing a decent roof over their heads, that's something worthwhile. The Hovels will be renewed and we will be seen as the providers of that renewal instead of oppressors taking away people's freedom to fight our fights for us. We will be their heroes instead of their slavemasters."

Eric glared at Blackgull and scoffed. "Tss, conscription."

In truth, the Nord couldn't really care less about the situation in the Hovels, nor providing strangers with a roof over their heads.  The idea of supplying the Bonapartes with cheap manpower and thus greatly increasing their fighting strength, however, was something Eric just couldn't let happen. The House of Blackgull was already strangling the seas enough as it is. Strengthening the Bonapartes would be a nightmare come true.

On 12/24/2016 at 5:30 AM, Khorne said:

"Option two is clearly the only right option.", the Nord said with a commanding voice. It didn't take long before his trademark wolfish grin appeared on his face. Eric stroked his beard and started speaking. He stood up from his chair, greatly increasing his stature and presence. "Conscripting the masses? Ha! The mere thought itself is foolish. Your solution for the Hovels is to take away the people's freedom by forcing them into service? Never have I heard such nonsense! Sure, they'll have something on their hands those few years in service, but they'll return to a run-down neighbourhood right after that. Doing service is not a long term plan and is only beneficial to people such as yourselves. Teaching them some actual skills they can use in life and providing a decent roof over their heads, that's something worthwhile. The Hovels will be renewed and we will be seen as the providers of that renewal instead of oppressors taking away people's freedom to fight our fights for us. We will be their heroes instead of their slavemasters."

Jinnipher furrowed her brow at the Nord. She remembered encountering him in the Hall not too long ago, and he downright pissed her off. She strode up to him and poked her finger into his shoulder. "Look, scruffy, no one is forcing anyone to do anything. Blackgull is offering a place in his navy for the urchins, in exchange for subsidized education. You really ought to clean your ears out, and take a bath for that matter. Besides, maybe a few years of discipline would do you some good."

As he heads for the door, Matthias notices a man speaking to Calmcacil and another Elvish lady, and decides to listen in, still wondering if he's made the right decision, if this "Boomingham" had the right to kingship. When he hears dark-haired elf rhetorically attack the older man as a "king", the gnome assumes he's found his quarry. He marches over to the group, doffing his enormous hat, and inquires demandingly, "You are King Boomingham?"

On 12/23/2016 at 10:25 PM, JimBee said:

Jinnipher scoffs. "If this is the side for just pretty faces then you're on the wrong one, old man. And I'm not here for scenery. It's time to whip this place into shape. Besides, aren't you King? Do you even get a vote or do you just decide?"

"I'm not King yet," says Boomingham with a note of sourness.  "Until then, it's good to keep everyone happy, don't you think?"

On 12/23/2016 at 10:35 PM, Chromeknight said:

Men fight to protect what they have. A man with nothing will not fight well.

And how can those of fighting age be in good condition to fight if they do not have a good roof over their heads.

Yes, military service may be beneficial. But if you conscript them, you will spend more on chain gangs and catching deserters than you would on simply giving those of the hovels something to keep and fight for.

"They'll be fighting to earn themselves an education.  Surely that's worth it?  Besides, this way they'll have to earn what they have.  If they don't want to fight, then they don't want to learn.  Seems fair to me."

On 12/24/2016 at 6:30 AM, Khorne said:

Eric swaggered into the villa, a sharp smell of sea salts following his wake. Having heard there was a vote on a proposition, the tall Nord took a seat and listened to the options presented by Blackgull and Heinrich. As one by one the other members of the Alliance voiced their opinions, Eric rolled his eyes then shook his hand. He waved away their voices with his hand as if he was dealing with children.

Eric glared at Blackgull and scoffed. "Tss, conscription."

In truth, the Nord couldn't really care less about the situation in the Hovels, nor providing strangers with a roof over their heads.  The idea of supplying the Bonapartes with cheap manpower and thus greatly increasing their fighting strength, however, was something Eric just couldn't let happen. The House of Blackgull was already strangling the seas enough as it is. Strengthening the Bonapartes would be a nightmare come true.

Boomingham's gaze tracks Eric as he crosses the Villa and pointedly doesn't say a word to the future King.  Whatever their bond may be out on the field, apparently the lose of office had hit the Nord hard.  Boomingham scoffs.

On 12/25/2016 at 9:20 PM, StickFig said:

As he heads for the door, Matthias notices a man speaking to Calmcacil and another Elvish lady, and decides to listen in, still wondering if he's made the right decision, if this "Boomingham" had the right to kingship. When he hears dark-haired elf rhetorically attack the older man as a "king", the gnome assumes he's found his quarry. He marches over to the group, doffing his enormous hat, and inquires demandingly, "You are King Boomingham?"

"I am indeed.  You're a hero?"

On 12/27/2016 at 10:30 AM, Zepher said:

"I'm not King yet," says Boomingham with a note of sourness.  "Until then, it's good to keep everyone happy, don't you think?"

Jinnipher smirked. "Hm. That seems to be the trouble with all this. Who is really in charge if we have three different kings supported by different people?"

On 12/27/2016 at 10:30 AM, Zepher said:

"I am indeed.  You're a hero?"

"I am indeed. Matthias, a Druid of Orrik, at your service. Are you the king of this city? Does the blood of the people of Eubric flow in your veins?" The gnome looks up at Boomingham's face. "I want to know that I am serving a true king."

On 25-12-2016 at 9:19 PM, JimBee said:

Jinnipher furrowed her brow at the Nord. She remembered encountering him in the Hall not too long ago, and he downright pissed her off. She strode up to him and poked her finger into his shoulder. "Look, scruffy, no one is forcing anyone to do anything. Blackgull is offering a place in his navy for the urchins, in exchange for subsidized education. You really ought to clean your ears out, and take a bath for that matter. Besides, maybe a few years of discipline would do you some good."

"Then he shouldn't be calling it 'conscription'", Eric hissed. "I remain in favor of option 2. Provide the poor with housing and teach them valuable skills. Then let them work out their own future from there." 

On 12/28/2016 at 11:14 PM, JimBee said:

Jinnipher smirked. "Hm. That seems to be the trouble with all this. Who is really in charge if we have three different kings supported by different people?"

"Whoever shows that they are the strongest," replies Boomingham with a wolfish grin.

On 12/29/2016 at 8:57 AM, StickFig said:

"I am indeed. Matthias, a Druid of Orrik, at your service. Are you the king of this city? Does the blood of the people of Eubric flow in your veins?" The gnome looks up at Boomingham's face. "I want to know that I am serving a true king."

"Hm, well depends on what you mean about that, chap.  Wasn't born here any more than some others, but don't know if that's a requirement for rule here.  I'm fairly sure my opponents both come from across the sea as well.  But I do have the cities best interest at heart.  My own home is no more, so this is the closest that I have, and I do not intend to lose another home."

On 12/30/2016 at 7:18 PM, Chromeknight said:

Eric has a point. Arming those of the hovels before they are your friends is a foolish move.

"Arming them to serve, not letting them run wild in the streets."

3 hours ago, Zepher said:

"Hm, well depends on what you mean about that, chap.  Wasn't born here any more than some others, but don't know if that's a requirement for rule here.  I'm fairly sure my opponents both come from across the sea as well.  But I do have the cities best interest at heart.  My own home is no more, so this is the closest that I have, and I do not intend to lose another home."

"So this is your home. Are these your people?" Matthias begins to realize that perhaps this king is just a man, and to doubt his long-held beliefs of the nature of kings. Strangely enough, this doubt only strengthens his resolve - if all kings are mere men, he reasons, then perhaps this one is enough.

1 hour ago, StickFig said:

"So this is your home. Are these your people?" Matthias begins to realize that perhaps this king is just a man, and to doubt his long-held beliefs of the nature of kings. Strangely enough, this doubt only strengthens his resolve - if all kings are mere men, he reasons, then perhaps this one is enough.

"I wish to see the city prosper," says Boomingham jovially.  "These are my people, if they accept me.  I've led men once, and I'd be glad to do it again, and I can promise you that I do not take the duty lightly.  When I last led a mistake meant someone I knew and who trusted me could lose their life, so I made sure that never happened, not even once."

27 minutes ago, Chromeknight said:

Ah, but how will you stop them if they do run wild in the streets?

"You act like we don't already have armed fellows in the streets."  Boomingham winks.  "It's the same thing I'm telling the... gnome?  Druid.  Matthias.  I've seen people serve before.  They don't just run amok, assuming the leaders are good enough to teach that what duty actually means.  I think most people in this city would be happy to help defend it."

Althior casts his vote for option 2. "Many citizens of the hovels obviously resent the houses of power in this city. Forcing them into indentured servitude for said house won't get us anywhere, but if we offer them a helping hand we might be able to sway their opinions,"

Boomingham watches as the man who made him King places his vote. He huffs a little, his mind wandering away from his original opinion before he draws it back in. He casts his vote for Conscription

Vote Tally:
Option 1: 3 (Cedric, Jinnipher, Lawrence)
Option 2: 4 (Nerwen, Matthias, Eric, Althior)

Voting Closes in 5 days!!

Upon arriving at the villa, Darksten cashes in on his earned reputation to join the organization. For a few minutes he wanders around, buying a cornucopia from the faction store before mingling with the gaggle of heroes discussing the upcoming vote. After hearing the two arguments, the assassin weighs in.

"I believe that option two is just a band-aid, a solution that will only help a few while transplanting the problems elsewhere while also multiplying the burden on the city. So what if we build new homes and hire a few new workers? Where will the others who grow up in poverty go? At least now they are welcome in the hovels, but if they get out classed there they will only settle somewhere else. And if word spreads the city is giving housing away, would not more beggars and outcasts come looking for their cut?"

"No, option one helps everyone, giving all an equal chance to learn their skills and buy their way out of poverty. I admit I shiver at the thought of arming some of those folks, but there are plenty of jobs which could be filled by these bale bodied hands which do not require a weapon to be held. Plus, the slackers and scammers from afar will not come racing here for their free handout if there is a service commitment. Then we can focus our efforts on helping those here first."

"For those reasons, I, Darksten, cast my vote for option one"

(If still within deadline, if not, please ignore. I wasn't sure if midnight meant 0001 or 2359 EST. thanks!)

Heckz enters the Hinckwell Villa, with his pants on, after having gotten many half-disgusted half-weirdly-attracted looks from the guards. A couple of years from profiting from the other heroes' hard work during his quests have passed until the opportunity for greatness and fame arose to him in the form of two letters. One was an invitation to the Chateau Shadeaux, personally written to him by Count Shadeaux's uncle's friend's maid. The other was a letter inquiring him to join the Sungold Alliance, specially drafted for his eyes only by the use of an automatic-meaningless-invitation-sending charm from the Ziegfried Mansion.

He visited the Shadeaux Mansion first, while he was still a sorcerer, since their colors really matched his outfit back then. As soon as he entered the dark building he was met by utterly horrifying and sickening beasts from Hel, at least in his mind, and three words that contradicted his very essence: 'Progress, Creation, Liberty'. Heckz ran out of the building as soon as possible, and he still gets shivers just by thinking about it.

Now the great, shining gold halls of the villa fill his heart with the humble feelings of ambition, power and overall superiority to the other low-lives in Heroica Hall, so he immediately joins the Sungold Alliance without a second thought. The one thing that does bother him, though, is the supposed candidate for Eubric's king. He purposefully hides his Cloak of Blood Magic when he joins the discussion for the Alliance's options.

Seeing as he was in the presence of many influential people, the harlot uses the most intelligent words at his disposal to prove his point after having thought of their options.

"I most photosynthetically think that our house option may paradoxically alternate the minds of the dirty sc-, I mean, the good people of the hovels, in a good way. But they are fastidiously wasting our most teetotalating resources, for which we have to nidificate? All I am manufacturing, is that they are wasting our saxicolous reserves, deja vu. But the military perfidiousness, on the other extremity, may offer some most gasconading opportunities for us winebibblers since, bonjour, we can salarize them for little conviviality. Afterwards, they perambulate their remaining superintendent time in the Academy, where they will unequivocally not be eaten by bellwethers from the void, tête-à-tête?"

He votes for Option 1.

The members of the Sungold Alliance watch as a number of heroes join their organization with the express intent of swaying the vote one way or another. All through the night the Heinrich sits with a smug look on his face, until two new strangers burst in and sway the vote in the opposite direction...

heroicanpc-heinrichhinckwell.jpg

"The last one was after the deadline!" protests Heinrich.

heroicanpc-blackgullbonaparte.jpg

"We would have needed to extend it to break the tie regardless," huffs Blackgull. "Besides, it is the option that our future King wanted. We will go with my proposal."

heroicanpc-laurelinehinckwell.jpg

"Regardless of the outcome, you must admit that it is nice to see the heroes have taken a genuine interest in our city." She returns to her husbands side with a knowing smile. "We will need their enthusiasm moving forward."

heroicanpc-heinrichhinckwell.jpg

"That is true. Go gather what you need for your proposal, Blackgull. The rest of us will discuss further matters..."

Blackgull leaves the Villa swiftly as the Hinckwells and Zeigfrieds put their heads together concerning further propositions...

All members of the Sungold Alliance may add a Sungold Seal to their Inventory. It may be equipped at any time, and does not use up an items spot. It will continue to be enhanced as other propositions are voted on.

Sungold Seal (+3 Power, +2 Health)

The Hinckwell family slowly packs up the final crate of furniture, the great house now empty. Heinrich and his wife gather their things as they load up the wagons and slowly pull away from Hinckwell Manor, a sign staked in the front lawn "SOLD". The remaining members of the Sungold Alliance leave for their homes, disbanded.