Hi everybody

If been playing around with constructing at 45 degrees in technic and found the following techniques:

The first one is using an axle through some connectors thus giving you 45 degrees and of course you can now start mounting or building of the axle:

21287689198_2c1d0b7ed7.jpg

I also played around with the Pythagoras theorem and found the two practical values to use:

5 ( 6L in LEGO the first L is the 0 position ) and 7.071 { 5.sqrt(2) } rounded to 7 ( 8L in LEGO the first L is the 0 position )

7 ( 8L in LEGO the first L is the 0 position ) and 9.899 { 7.sqrt(2) } rounded to 10 ( 11L in LEGO the first L is the 0 position )

21288613069_11a7f5c474_z.jpg

The first Pythagoras pair used is the top left with the 6L black axle and the two no. 4 connectors. Not a fan of this method as it is a bit over sized and if you build the parts rigid into you construction with support from the top and the back of the no. 4 connector it might ever so slightly bend the axle or damage your parts.

The second pair method one is the 11L beam again not a fan of this method as it will pull ever so slightly as it is actually a bit under sized.

The second pair method two and most favoured by me personal is the one I like most yes there will be a small 0.1mm gap in the gray axle but it is really small. I like this method better because I can brace the no 4 connectors from the back and from the tops.

I wanted to share this but also I would like to know if you guys have any other techniques you would like sharing?

I would like to keep it stud less if possible.

Of course using the new A plate with some technic bricks would also be a possibility:

http://alpha.brickli...lor=11#T=C&C=11

Anton

Edit 1:Used flickr deaplinks instead of attachments

Edited by Alien

This seems important to me and I am very much interested, but could you tell us more about your goal?

This is an interesting topic!

Of course you can use

32009.jpg

although it is bulky and the attachment options are not great.

In the Pen Dragon I used 3/4 pins as studs fitting into the bottom of a round plate to get a 45 degree offset on an axle. This method could probably be adapted in other ways (thanks to Blakbird for the render):

400x305.jpg

There is also the old 1/2 bush, with allows 22.5 degree increments:

4265b.gif

This seems important to me and I am very much interested, but could you tell us more about your goal?

I'm busy designing a vehicle and would like to mount the suspension arms of the four wheels at 45 degrees.

This is an interesting topic!

Thanks

Of course you can use

although it is bulky and the attachment options are not great.:

AAA didn't think of that one will play with it a bit, But as you say it might be a bit bulky, but as I'm typing this I'm getting an idea that I will have to test at home tonight. Will post the results:

In the Pen Dragon I used 3/4 pins as studs fitting into the bottom of a round plate to get a 45 degree offset on an axle. This method could probably be adapted in other ways (thanks to Blakbird for the render):

400x305.jpg

Edit:Sorry not seeing the render. This is why I ask about the parts.

Edit2: mmmm works at home. Might be our Work firewall doing wierd and wonderfull things

AWESOME machine man. had a look at both of them. mmmmm this sounds interesting. Are you talking about these plates:

4032.jpg

http://alpha.brickli...page?P=4032#T=C

With these pins:

4274.jpg

http://alpha.brickli...page?P=4274#T=C

There is also the old 1/2 bush, with allows 22.5 degree increments:

I actually still have some of those But they are so brittle and old I'm almost scared to use them in something like a vehicle that will put lots of strain on them.

There is of course these:

4273.gif

http://alpha.brickli...page?P=4273#T=C

Edited by Alien

Dont forget about #4 connector, which is 45 degrees. You can also get 45 degrees by using 5x9 bent liftarm and the inner ellagonated pinholes.

Hi there.

I was attempting something similar recently (I'm working on a clock). I think these provide two other ways of getting a 45 degree twist between studs and an axle:

* The robot body with the x orientation (30361b)

* The 15 and 21 tooth expert builder gears (g15 and g21).

Malcolm

Does it have to be exactly 45 degrees?

This one is about 44.0 degrees.

Nice find! Such angles can be computed using the Cosine Rule.

With a bigger triangle one can get even closer. Here the first three numbers are the side lengths of the triangle, starting with the one opposite the angle (the first line is Erik's triangle):

3 4 4 44.0486256741

5 7 4 44.4153085972

5 7 5 45.5729959992

5 7 6 44.4153085972

6 8 8 44.0486256741

7 9 9 45.7707609523

7 10 7 44.4153085972

7 10 8 44.0486256741

8 11 6 45.2071662976

One can also get an almost exact 30 degree angle:

3 6 5 29.9264348666

4 8 7 29.9947255274

And it is interesting that there are some exact 60 degree triangles besides the equilateral triangle:

1 1 1 60.0

2 2 2 60.0

7 8 3 60.0

7 8 5 60.0

Edited by aeh5040

Does it have to be exactly 45 degrees?

This one is about 44.0 degrees.

Nothing is set in stone :laugh: As long as I can brace from both sides for more support I'm happy

Nice find thanks. so I will explore that a bit more also.

.... Such angles can be computed using the Cosine Rule.

With a bigger triangle one can get even closer. Here the first three numbers are the side lengths of the triangle, starting with the one opposite the angle (the first line is Erik's triangle):

Thanks for posting the math. I love using spread sheets to do these things with. I have one for Pythagorean Triplets also and will now start adding this to the same sheet. I might just make it a shared google doc then everybody can have access to it. If there is a better way of sharing this let me know

I found this site:

http://www.l3go.bugg...Hypotech1.shtml

and this makes me think that by combining angles I can get some nice results also.

Lots and lots to play with tonight. :excited:

I'm trying to unlock my Flickr account, so I can post more pictures instead of using attachment which is limited. I will then make some more build summations of all the techniques discussed here. Like the first two pics I posted.

If the Axle member your going to build is going to have a U joint in there then I wouldn't recommend building it at 45 degrees.

-u-joint-max-angle.jpg

Thanks and good to know.

I'm goign to be building the motors into the suspension arms them self so it shouldn't be a problem

Nothing is set in stone :laugh: As long as I can brace from both sides for more support I'm happy

I agree. Actually, I think there are times that it is worth it to have not things line up exactly. In a recent project I already posted:

http://mocpages.com/moc.php/418746

I actually made the angles on the liftarms supporting the wings a little off.... because the tension in the angles helped the wings not droop. In this rendition of the 42025, weight started to become an issue, and I didn't want droopy wings, I wanted them taut and straight. Making the angle that braced the wings just a little off made this possible:

(see black liftarm)

14413209271_DISPLAY.jpg

(it is approximately only 91 degrees)

Edited by nerdsforprez

Ok as a summation I created this:

21448379686_c6d42434b6_o.jpg

O don't know if that 24 tooth gear technique is legal. the pins go into click and I could could create this:

21448379496_aa01cc785f.jpg

The pins go into click state

I agree. Actually, I think there are times that it is worth it to have not things line up exactly. In a recent project I already posted:

http://mocpages.com/moc.php/418746

I actually made the angles on the liftarms supporting the wings a little off.... because the tension in the angles helped the wings not droop. In this rendition of the 42025, weight started to become an issue, and I didn't want droopy wings, I wanted them taut and straight. Making the angle that braced the wings just a little off made this possible:

Now that is one awesome moc. Very nice indeed.

(it is approximately only 91 degrees)

what was the length of the beams?