Blondie-Wan

Who else here is into all sorts of themes?

I know many builders here are into just Star Wars, say, or principally Technic, or just the "constraction" themes, or perhaps one or two main themes like this but also picking up one or two others from time to time. I know there are also an awful lot of people, though, who like all sorts of LEGO, and who spread themselves out across as many different themes, building styles, etc. as they can.

I'm one of the latter. Star Wars brought me out of my Dark Ages in the early 2000s, but I quickly moved beyond that and threw myself into all sorts of stuff - the Adventurers line that was finishing up with Orient Expedition, City sets, various Studios offerings, a little Life on Mars, etc. As LEGO themes came and went over the following years, I found myself dabbling here, collecting a whole line there, and various things in between for lots of different themes - Atlantis, Bionicle, City, Dinosaurs, Exo-Force, Friends, Games, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, and on and on they go. My collection ranges from five of the Ideas sets, to one of the modular buildings, all the Winter Village sets from 2009 to 2014, most of the sets for The LEGO Movie, all the retail sets plus the Brickmaster set and most of the "extended line" stuff from Indiana Jones, and most of the blind-bagged Minifigures, among many, many other things. My MOCing plans include everything from small standalone builds to huge layouts in everything from City to Star Wars to classic Space to Castle, and while most of my attention goes towards so-called "System" stuff, I also dabble with everything from constraction and Technic to DUPLO, and I can't wait to start really exploring Mindstorms. I even have projects percolating in mind for LEGO Ideas submissions in themes ranging from City and Friends to Star Wars and Indiana Jones, among many others.

Who else here can't just choose a theme or two and stick with them, but instead loves to try a bit (or more!) of everything?

I'm a fan of lots of themes. While I tend to favor Constraction themes and other story themes like Ninjago and Elves, that's not to say I won't enjoy the occasional set from other themes. They're just farther down on my list of priorities—I'm less likely to have any drive to complete a collection of Star Wars or Super Heroes figures, and massive sets like UCS sets typically aren't even on my radar at least until I've picked up the other sets on my wishlist. And even then, a generous sale or giveaway could sway me to step outside my comfort zone.

Edited by Lyichir

For starters, I don't really collect sets. I buy them occasionally--usually if they are at a discount or if they are an 'impulse-buy'-priced set (i.e. Mixels)--but everything I get will eventually be broken down and parted out.

That said, I like building things of all kinds. I tend toward Sci-Fi, but that ranges from space to steampunk to superheroes, although I have a soft spot for castle/fantasy as well.

So for me, I see sets I like from many themes, even if I rarely buy them. I found some Galaxy Squad sets (clearance-priced) which I thought were brilliant, I recently got my first Bionicle set, and am thinking about picking up one or two of the new SW sets. Lately I have also been impressed by what Ninjago has been putting out--Master Wu's dragon, the various "city of ___" sets and the Temple--even though I have yet to pick any of these up, and probably never will.

I think LEGO has learned how to design some incredibly detailed and beautiful sets, which is nice to see no matter what theme they are from.

I'm into sets, regardless of the theme they belong to; still, if I can own at least a set for each theme, I probably will (with some exceptions: I have no old Agents sets, i never found something worth the price)

I am basically into historic themes, pirates, castle, western

however, there arent too many sets coming out these days, so I sometimes buy sets for parts and try to sell the minifigs

I am a little bit afraid the next year can be bad - even though I am very curious what nexo knighs will be, I am rather sure it will not be what I would like it to be - my hopes are very low - I hope the ninjago pirates will be pirates proper compatible

so there is in fact nothing to look forward to next year

I'm into pretty much everything as well- although I have gone through phases where I'm a spacer, construction MOCer, etc

I am basically into historic themes, pirates, castle, western

Yep these... But I only bought the castle theme because when I started collecting again there were no pirates out and I just thought they looked cool.

Otherwise I agreed with my other half that I have to stick to a theme and collect that (obviously I can buy parts for MOCs) and I was limited to pirates... But we also agreed WV is cool... So that's in and then the detective agency got bought, so modulars are allowed too... And apparently western is allowed... And Lego Movie is kind of allowed and also Lego ideas sets. I argued that it makes sense to collect some DC/Marvel to go with TBBT, but so far that has been vetoed.. We'll see, creator sets appears to be allowed too... Tbh if I want something I'll buy it but I do like playing the game of only getting certain themes for now.

Architecture (I have all of them), Star Wars and Technic are the big three for me, but I've also got all but one of the Modulars, several Creator Expert and about half of the LEGO Movie line.

My favorites are the so-called evergreen themes: Pirates, City, Space and Castle.

And of course, the adventure themes like Monster Fighters and Adventurers :wub:

And the CMF theme

I'm not particularly fond to licensed themes like Superheroes, Star Wars and Lotr

I am into all sort of themes. I tend to buy or build whatever interests me. I also do cross-theme mix-mashed MOCs. Some days I feel like I am all over the place...Jack Stone of all themes, master of none.

I haven't bought that many sets since I started collecting Lego again. At the moment I've got 18, covering different themes. I buy sets that appeal to me and I don't follow just one theme. I have the New York City Architecture sets (I love New York), some Ideas and Hobbit sets, the three big Expert cars and when I saw the press release of the Temple of Airjitzu, I wanted to get that one just for how awesome it looked. I recently turned to Technic with the 24 Hours Race Car (I love WEC and Le Mans) and currently am building the Arocs. I'm planning on buying the Winter Village Toy Shop and also want to buy Jasmine's Exotic Palace.

Yo. (Sorry, I wanted to say it).

I like all kinds of LEGO. I buy anything and everything so I can MOC with a wide range of parts and colours and I MOC in all themes. It just so happens that my first ever favourite (Aquanauts) my lifetime favourite (Adventurers) and the themes I find the most enjoyable are Action & Adventure themes here on EB. I have built everything, from Star Wars to Constraction. I think the only theme I have never truly built is Train and that is simply because it is a little expensive and space hungry.

I love to build and don't exactly collect, so my purchases more likely hinge on current project needs, cool minifigures and the most exciting set designs/new parts/colours the set or theme provides. Being a little more solvent (yay employment!) I am guilty of more clearance/discount picking in the supermarkets right now but my shopping list has a few City, Ninjago and Star Wars sets on it. (I am a sucker for dark red, and black and orange is a favourite colour combo of mine). Oh, and probably a few square meters of baseplate too.

I've never had any desire to collect a theme, not since Speed Racer anyway (one childhood love combined with another!), it is all to supply my many and varied ideas to MOC. Plus, with my wide ranging interests that cover all kinds of genres, I MOC what I feel like. One month I can be on a bit of a Spaceship track and then I am jumping into Pirates, I have a City MOC on the plan and an Adventure build half done... I don't have ADD though!

I'll buy pretty much anything, but if it's outside of the Action-Adventure,Sci-Fi, Historic, or Ideas; its probably for parts. Unless i want a specific licensed Character.

From the 11 Themes-specific Topic's, I visit 8 commonly and I pretty much buy something which fits in these Categories.

But mostly I buy Star Wars, Licensed Stuff, Historic Themes, Action Themes and Figures and the CMF Collections.

I've gotten some DUPLO, yes. Not much, but a little goes a long way.

One of the LEGO Ideas projects I've had in mind for entirely too long actually will use two or three DUPLO elements to achieve a particular effect in an otherwise all-"System" construction. I personally feel that any LEGO elements can be useful, and that includes DUPLO.

I mainly collect Star Wars, Bionicle, D2C sets (Modulars, Vehicles, Fairground, Winter Village), Super Heroes, Technic, some City, Minifigures, Simpsons, Movie tie in sets I'm interested in, and Ideas, so I think I'm pretty varied.

Edited by Brickus

For all of you who are saying you're into everything

Do you like/buy DUPLO? :look:

I have very little Duplo but they work good as inexpensive space filler. Although that could change after Graeme D. designed and built the ToroLUG bar with them...

20371073194_38e17c3e18_z.jpgDUPLO bar by Thomas Mueller, on Flickr

I have all Chima sets. I like modulars and Technics :D!

And some city sets to be in my modular display :)

I think the themes is what LEGO makes LEGO. I prefer city sets but some giant RC technic models, LEGO racers tiny turbos,modulars and Architecture. And I have one LEGO ninjago walker. I was bored and trew some things at it and now its lying in a box.

I like lots of themes, however space is becoming more and more of an issue, I still collected modulars, technic and trains, but city sets are now needing to be unique for me to add these to the collection, there is just no space left!

I generally try to appreciate all themes for what they are. For instance, I have no personal interest in collecting LEGO City, but it's basically the minifigure version of "real life", and other themes are essentially defined by how they diverge from that standard. LEGO Castle, Pirates, and Space are some of the LEGO brand's oldest "evergreen" themes, so they have a long history to live up to, and I think they usually do a rather impressive job of it. The LEGO licensed themes are LEGO versions of familiar characters, vehicles, and settings from popular culture, and often use very creative building techniques to recreate their subject matter. It's amazing to see how much they have evolved since the early days of LEGO Star Wars and LEGO Harry Potter. And of course, LEGO Classic and LEGO Creator are the themes that most embody the creative spirit of free-building.

The only current theme I really dislike is Disney Princess, and that's mainly because I dislike how the Disney Princess brand tends to distort and sanitize the subject matter of the actual movies that inspire it. I'm fine with the characters and stories, I just wish the sets themselves focused more on recreating the actual settings and events of the movies like other licensed themes tend to instead of on the broad idea of "life as a princess". That's more on Disney's shoulders than the LEGO Group's since even outside of the LEGO brand, Disney Princess products frequently misrepresent Disney's own characters and storylines.

However, I try to keep the themes I actually collect fairly concise, since I'm not organized enough or bringing in enough income to justify getting every set that interests me. Currently, I collect LEGO Bionicle, LEGO Ninjago, and LEGO Elves. These themes all use different types of figures but they actually do have a lot in common: ancient and mysterious fantasy worlds, colorful heroes with elemental powers, and character-driven storylines. I'm trying to avoid buying too many sets outside of those themes, though I don't always do a great job of it.

In all honesty, I'll get anything as long as its's fun to build, interesting, or of a decent size. I only really collect a few specific themes like Bionicle, Trains, and the occasional City or Technic set that catches my eye. But I do have priorities as far as sets go. It's Bionicle and Trains first, then Technic, and or any big Creator set that looks cool.