Sign in to follow this  
Chase The Cop

Z 222 Coupe, modified - AKA 'Space Junk'

"Lovingly" nicknamed 'Space Junk' by its owner, this little spacecraft was obviously refurbished, fixed and patched way too many times in order to keep it (almost) flying.

748091IMG4096b.jpg

400354IMG4097b.jpg

Under this collection of scraps, the spacecraft enthusiast may recognize the lines of a good old Z 222 Coupe; an affordable 'bottom of the range' single-occupant spacecraft, that was mass-produced around 50 years ago by Zendros.

232893IMG4104b.jpg

329305IMG4107b.jpg

Designed for civil use, the Z 222 was everybody's first spacecraft in its hey-days, but the range was discontinued long ago and they have all disappeared by now.

More Photos:

317604IMG4098b.jpg

212547IMG4099b.jpg

375591IMG4100b.jpg

779244IMG4108b.jpg

Size comparisons:

823415IMG4110b.jpg

282491IMG4114b.jpg

Concept:

I wanted to build the sh*ttiest possible spacecraft for one of my characters/ stories. Having low expectations for it; it was a good occasion to try something out of my usual comfort zone, and i wanted to try using more SNOT, modern parts and Technic parts this time.

Once finished it looked - and it fitted well in the story - like an overly refurbished civil craft, so i decided to try to build the original model.

I thought of putting together a 2 seater version but a mix of laziness and lack of parts won this one... But I may one day build a few of those in different versions and color schemes - and a Zendros showroom!

443639z222colors2.jpg

By the way... Is clicking a plate at 90° between 2 rows of studs considered not legit? I've always loved the possibilities it offers. But LDD doesn't seem to allow it...

Thank you for looking and of course all C&Cs are welcome

Edited by Chase The Cop

Nice job, on both versions. The taillights and license plate really nail down the small civilian spacecraft look, and the Space Junk looks ..well, exactly as it says. Great greebling on that one.

Thank you guys, really appreciate it.

Flip these wings up?.. Nice idea. Not too sure how i could do this but i'll give it a try :)

EDIT: Rushed attempt; poor choice of parts and even poorer photos; but that's a way it could be.

The only thing is that it makes that wing go 'out' a bit when down - while it was aligned with the rest of the hull..

789921Z222wing.jpg

Definitely deserves spending more time on it.

Edited by Chase The Cop

Awesome build! It looks so exciting with all the tubes and mechanical parts coming out of both sides of the ship. Junk it may be, this just looks like the fastest junk in the entire galaxy! :grin:

By the way... Is clicking a plate at 90° between 2 rows of studs considered not legit? I've always loved the possibilities it offers. But LDD doesn't seem to allow it...

That's an illegal connection, yeah. http://bramlambrecht...stress-bf06.pdf Someone call the Lego police, it's out of my jurisdiction.

Even though, Lego's done this themselves, in an official set.

Police car, no less.

Set number 420.

I am not making this up.

Edited by Space Police XVIII