Poe's X-Wing Fighter (75102) Availability

Well this is a first, just had an email from Lego S@H UK to state that they've cancelled my X-Wing order as "The demand for the item has exceeded our expectations and the item is no longer available."

Has anybody else have this happen to them too? I ordered it as soon as it appeared for sale on the site!

Ah well going to pick one up from a local toyshop so not going to miss out! :sweet:

I ordered one at around 7.45 AM on Force Friday - it arrived this week no probs. canopy seems to fine, shuts ok (although there is a little scratch on it). Weird thing was the numbers in the instruction manual are wrong - they suddenly jump and miss 4 numbers out on a couple of occasions.

Interesting. You'd think they'd anticipate the demand for this stuff considering they were forced to set aside a release date for it and adequately supply themselves with enough product. I would understand a retail store having issues with stocking them, but the fact that the company that produces the product is behind on their supply is unusual. A good indicator of a successful product nonetheless!

Mine was cancelled as well, from s@h belgium. i had another item in the order which theyve processed (a battlepack), and theyre still honoring the yularen promotion, which i guess is nice because battlepacks are only 15 euro or so. But man, ramp up production will you.

My order got cancelled by Lego due to "demand exceeded our expectations" got one from a local toy store no problem.

Lego mess up every launch/release and are usually behind by a month on availability, but to not expect the demand on the artificially hyped force friday is just ridiculous. I've bought new sets from other retailers on every new set release this year and lego are well behind.

Well this is more frequent than I expected. I honestly do not understand how they cannot meet expectations. They've done starwars movie-merch tie in releases before and they bumped it all the way to September this time. They knew it was coming and they are well aware of us starwars freaks out there :grin: . I mean, are they intending to get collected stock during Nov - Dec. If that is the case, everyone and there mother is going to be out there grabbing product around the time the film releases and I can guarantee they will be out of stock then too.

I'm not even going to get started on Force Friday because, well, seeing adults running past children and buying out product in bulk to scalp on the internet was the most hilarious and stupid thing I've witnessed in awhile. I'm not into the idea of Black Friday type events much and seeing people become animalistic over toys is disturbing.

On a positive note, I'm happy to hear they are still validating the Yularen promotional figure for those that bought and then had their orders cancelled. The fact they can cancel your order is complete poppycock. I mean really? Like they can't keep an ongoing record?

Is something going on with Lego that anyone can confirm? This is intriguing to me that the Force Awakens sets are having this issue. I'd expect this from older or soon to be retired sets. I ordered the UCS X Wing in Feb from US shop at home and I've called 4 times since then only to hear that I'm on a waiting list and they're producing more. They're telling me I'll get one but I don't know at this point. I understand that Lego has a lot more publicity and a larger customer base since when I got interested in the 90s but this is a little strange to me. Are they having issues at the manufacturing plants because they've had issues with establishing equilibrium between their demand and supply for the last couple of years. I notice more stuff backordered and out of stock until stock replacement than I ever remember.

The issue is that the cockpit mold does not close correctly. Confirmed by SAH customer service today.

Alrighty then. That is a good reason for them to be withholding production then. They shouldn't be canceling backorders though. That's just bad business.

Wait if the canopy molds are faulty then how are we going to be able to tell when the piece becomes available on bricklink?! Oh boy... :ugh:

the xwing will be back later this month, the website says. i guess they couldve asked me whether i wanted the order cancelled or if i prefered waiting a bit more.

Well this is more frequent than I expected. I honestly do not understand how they cannot meet expectations.

Problem is that its is impossible to know how much demand will you get for a new product, and this is not just for Lego, it is a general rule - you can expect something on past expiriance, but you can never be sure - if you don't produce enought - you will loose money, since not everyone will wait. On the other hand if you produce too much product and it doesn't sell - you will loose lot more money. So going with less is always way better than going with more than needed.

In this case lego is playing safe - they probably increased production for some % , but not so much that they loose money on overproduction. Now they are pushing production process to the limits to fill the gap in demand and all the issues with product( bad bricks) are result of that.

Edited by Davor

Reports on Reddit that some guy allegedly got a "warped" yellow baseplate in his 75102. Others on this forum say:

• pages are missing in the manual
  • pieces were missing; mismatched parts included in their place

So my guess would be some kind of overall quality control failure - it's the only way to explain the various stories from this kit; but not any of the other kits. I wouldn't explain away extra bits as all sets have a few of them.

I've read about a lot of damaged Rey's satchels from Rey's Speeder 75099, but those are an old item (that I would assume breaks just as easily).

Well I've managed to acquire this set from a local toy store and now I am reading rumours of quality control issues. Man, I hope my set is ok. Are all sets affected or just a few random ones?

I think just like the other Force Friday merchandise (particularly Hasbro) most Lego was under produced. I suspect it's because Disney wants to create a false sense of success and buzz by creating such a sold-out dynamic on their license. I'm also thinking they want to avoid past Force Friday's abundance of products.

What's interesting is that I am finding the X-Wing (and others) available at Target and TRU.

Edited by Hawkman

Amazing set, such a leap in design quality over the 2012 X Wing and the colours really work in person.

I go over my sets with a fine tooth comb - and didn't see any issues. Cockpit closes exactly as shown in instructions and as per the box art. Guess this must be a problem with a certain production run only?

Right. Maybe they were specific boxes from certain production orders or something... perhaps 955561976 can let us know how his build went.

I also wonder if only Lego brand stores are bothering to respond to the recall. But it is reassuring to hear that some people are able to close their canopy piece properly. It is a such a great piece!!

My local Lego store is still selling them...

Which country are you in?

Here in the UK the sets have been pulled due to a possible moulding fault. Whether this is a worldwide issue or not, I don't know unfortunately.

Right. Maybe they were specific boxes from certain production orders or something... perhaps 955561976 can let us know how his build went.

I also wonder if only Lego brand stores are bothering to respond to the recall. But it is reassuring to hear that some people are able to close their canopy piece properly. It is a such a great piece!!

The issue with the Star Wars Advent calendar has been ignored by most other retailers in the UK, as I hear constantly of people picking them up from retailers such as Argos and Tesco

Which country are you in?

Here in the UK the sets have been pulled due to a possible moulding fault. Whether this is a worldwide issue or not, I don't know unfortunately.

Poe's X-wing is still widely available in retail stores here in Australia. The canopy on mine is fine, there is maybe a 0.5 mm gap if I'm being super critical but I've certainly had a lot worse with Lego hinged pieces. It's a great element though so I can see why people would not be happy if theirs are faulty.

I finished building mine today and have the same minor issue with the cockpit not closing snap-shut (as the 2012 X-Wing's cockpit did). The gap is only as wide as the thickness of a fingernail, so it's hardly noticeable.

I just finished building it; I found it at a TRU in the U.S. I guess I see the gap but it's so small that if I hadn't heard about it, I might not have noticed it. I suppose if Customer Service acknowledged that it is a real error then it is. Seems to me though that this is a non issue. Minimal gap. I wouldn't let it dissuade anyone from picking it up now.

I think just like the other Force Friday merchandise (particularly Hasbro) most Lego was under produced. I suspect it's because Disney wants to create a false sense of success and buzz by creating such a sold-out dynamic on their license. I'm also thinking they want to avoid past Force Friday's abundance of products.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It's interesting to hear that the UCS X wing cockpit had a similar problem.

If that were the case, I think Lego would have quickly reacted to the rumours of a quality problem and stated that the sets really sold out that fast. Not reacting to the rumours of a quality problem is a PR-"disaster", especially if it's not true and the real reason is way more positive from a PR point of view.

I would not be surprised if Lego had some problems getting the sets to market in time for Force Friday and had some slip-ups in their Quality Control along the way. Seems like a perfectly logical explanation to me.

What I don't understand is Lego outright cancelling orders for the X-Wing instead of putting it on backorder. I would have been quite happy waiting a few weeks, getting my VIP points and Yularen figure a bit later.

The issue with the Star Wars Advent calendar has been ignored by most other retailers in the UK, as I hear constantly of people picking them up from retailers such as Argos and Tesco

Wait, what? I thought we were talking about Poe's X-Wing. Is there an issue with the Advent Calendar as well?