Sign in to follow this  
kjm161

MOC The Knight Museum

I love museums, particularly the Museum of Civilization in Hull, Canada (now the Canadian Museum of History) and the Field Museum in Chicago. Having recently discovered collectible Lego Minifigures (I know a bit late, but better late than never), many of which have a historical theme and Lego putting out sets based on one of my favourite cartoons growing up, that being “Scooby Doo Where Are You”, I really wanted to create a Museum that incorporated all these things. After my kids got me the Tower Bridge for my birthday I had enough Lego to attempt my own creation. So here is my version of the Knight Museum.

Help the Scooby Doo gang at the Knight Museum find clues and defeat a gang of villains trying to steal precious artifacts. The first episode in the original Scooby Doo cartoon series had the gang solving the Mystery of the Black Knight in the County Museum. A secret passage (behind a portrait of the Fat Lady that leads to the roof) and various hiding places allow the villains to hide out and plan and execute their nefarious plot. This lego creation tries to combine the fantasy of Scooby Doo with beauty and treasure of real life museums.

This Museum has a dinosaur exhibit, and historical exhibits from Europe, Asia, the New World, and Ancient Greeks, Romans, and Egyptians. An observatory is located on the roof for star gazing. Under the stairs is a research area, a gem display and storage for unused display items.

The Museum is built on two 32x32 stud base plates and is roughly double the size of a traditional modular building. Each layer and the roof can be removed as in normal modular buildings. Hope you like it. I had fun building it. Enjoy.

Museumb by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Musuem4b by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Museum11b by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Museum6b by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Museum21 by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Musuem4b by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Museum12b by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Edited by Rick
Please keep embedded images to a maximum resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels (changed embedded images to links)

Very nice, I am thinking of making something similar, but much smaller as a local museum displaying artifacts found in my town and exhibitions with how they believe it was in the middle age (castle/knights) and colonial times (pirates theme soldiers and pirates). I am thinking about what industries are running my town, and are thinking a wharf/fishing, natural resources, former strategic point of interest and in modern times tourism have taken a more prominent role. I really like how your solution and it is an inspiration for my own attempt (thank you especially for the window display, reception and the upstairs minifig displays in particular). I will probably notice more as I keep looking at your build.

Thank you for your kind words. A museum is a great way to display other small exhibits. I still may change the back of the museum so that it is more symmetrical but I ran out of tan bricks, so this will have to wait for a while.

Well this is a cool museum (I came across it after looking at your spooky house). It is exactly the kind of build I was intending to make with my other half, who used to work in a geology museum.

As an MOC its awesome and I really liked all the details, if I could offer some advice on the Lego ideas front (or maybe even just add a note to think about is) is to reduce the number of minifigures in the build itself and replace with some brick built exhibits (I think you have like 30 plus in there, which will probably never happen, but I am not an expert, actually decided to google it, apparently there was a set with 80 fabuland figures in, but it probably was not for sale).

Anyway if it were me presenting a project for Lego ideas I would probably drop the Scooby Doo part seeing as you don't seem to make that much of it in your project description anyway.

Then I would try and declutter the interior a little by reducing the minifigures (and keeping the ones you include all yellow, no fleshies). Where a minifgure was an exhibit maybe just use its key accessory, like the Indian headdress for example. I would try and add some tiles to be the display captions as well, to give it an added museum feel.

But i like the way you pay homage to the different Lego themes, thats cool, and I would definitely include a little pirate theme in there too, maybe a bluecoat/redcoat soldier.

Feel free to ignore my Ideas suggestions, as its a cool MOC anyway :-)

Thanks for the advice. Decluttering is a great idea. I added the fleshies as guests to the museum, which really do not need to be included. All of the display minifigures are yellow but these can be reduced as well.

Wonderful museum, kjm. Really rich on details, both on the outside as well as inside. I like the broad definition of "Knight Museum", that is, you have included warriors from many cultures and ages. A particular part I like is the Japanese section where you made a scenery that highlights this part of the exhibition.

Wonderful! Although I think the white bits and the darker grey on the roof are a little bit out of place.

Edited by THERIZE