YellowCorvette

(LDD MOC) Another T-70 X-wing

Hi, everyone on this forum! :classic: The Force Awakens sets is already available to buy, but except the 75099 Rey's Speeder, 75100 First Order Snowspeeder and 75103 First Order Transporter, I not very impressed with the others, espiecally the 75102 because of several inaccuracies when compared to the trailer. As a example, the wings on 75102 don't close like in the trailer. So, I builded this T-70 based on what a Lego T-70 X wing suppose to look like in my thinking. It's heavily based on 9493, but the cockpit canopy and the wings are different from 9493 and 75102.

21077690268_92bc627cb5_z.jpg Incom T-70 X wing Starfighter lxf picture by ArmstrongYong, on Flickr

Sorry about the longer laser cannon. I just realized that mistake after I posted this topic.

Some screenshots of this T-70 X wing using both LDD and BlueRender.

21078083408_fc52d92aa3_z.jpg T-70 X-wing Screenshot 1 by ArmstrongYong, on Flickr

20644914653_78c1741fd0_z.jpg T-70 X-wing Screenshot 2 by ArmstrongYong, on Flickr

20645005793_de2e957b33_z.jpg T-70 X-wing Screenshot 3 by ArmstrongYong, on Flickr

Yes, the astromech droid you seen in the picture up there is the old R2-D2 type. I know it suppose to designed to fit the new astromech droids like BB-8, but I prefer this design more, so I designed it like that.

Need a LDD file of this model ? Download it by pressing here. (If you interested)

Note: The actual LXF File may vary from the pictures in this topic.

Any comments, critisms, and suggestion are welcome. :classic:

Edited by ArmstrongYong

This looks like the best rendition so far in terms of the nose, but you got the wings wrong.

Is the windscreen available in Trans Black?

This looks like the best rendition so far in terms of the nose, but you got the wings wrong.

Is the windscreen available in Trans Black?

Yes, that windscreen part in Trans-Black is available at 10129 UCS Snowspeeder set. (And only available in that set)

I know the wings are not too great, but without some plates to support the lower part of the wings, the wings will be too fragile and can be easy to break.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Yes, at last !

The colors are so much better than Poe's X-wing, and I like the fact you tried to correct the wings issue. Good job sir !

Yes, at last !

The colors are so much better than Poe's X-wing, and I like the fact you tried to correct the wings issue. Good job sir !

Thanks! I don't like how the wings designed in 75102, so in this MOC, I wasted 2 weeks to figure out how to design the wings better than 75102. That's one of the issues with TLC X-Wing design, and I hope that this design direction didn't continued in future X-Wing design standard.

I like your x wing a lot more than the official one, this is actually the best one I have seen, the wings and the color scheme make more sense to me, dont mind too much about movie accuracy, make it appealing to your personal taste.

You've done a good job, it looks great. I'm not sure why you don't like the new windscreen, I personally think it is a big improvement even though it isn't very accurate. That old windscreen is practically impossible to get hold of in trans-black, I've had a watch on it on Bricklink for several years and every time they come up they get snapped up in seconds.

You've done a good job, it looks great. I'm not sure why you don't like the new windscreen, I personally think it is a big improvement even though it isn't very accurate. That old windscreen is practically impossible to get hold of in trans-black, I've had a watch on it on Bricklink for several years and every time they come up they get snapped up in seconds.

You can get the old 4x6x2 windscreen in 10129 UCS Snowspeeder set.

Of course I like the new windscreen in 75102, but that windscreen part is not available in LDD yet. So, I need to find a another solution.

Seems flawless to me, the nose is kind of perfect, the colors are great and the wings neat. Good job ;)

Thanks, but it still has some flaws. The rear section is very similar to 9493 because I don't figured out how to design the rear section yet. And also, the S-Foils needs rubber bands to operate, similar to most TLC X-Wing sets.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Please build T-65 :wink:

I don't think I will build a T-65 X-Wing, because the other T-65 X-Wing MOCs on the Internet are very good, espiecally the Mike Psiaki version. However, thanks for the suggestion and have a nice day!

You can get the old 4x6x2 windscreen in 10129 UCS Snowspeeder set.

Sure, you can get it, but that involves spending at least $900 on the set and then peeling the stickers off the windscreen :) Thankfully this new windscreen solves the problem.

I like your x wing a lot more than the official one, this is actually the best one I have seen, the wings and the color scheme make more sense to me, dont mind too much about movie accuracy, make it appealing to your personal taste.

Thanks for the kind words.

But, there's still many others T-70 MOC at out there and some of them are better than this.

I'm a R2-D2 man. BB-8 is just another droid to me. Good job on the build.

Thanks. Now I trying to get rid of the use of the rubber bands in the S-Foil mechanism and I will post more pictures when I done.

There is one thing that bothers me quite a bit, the size of your pics! why are they are so small? I would love to see this guy in all its glory.

There is one thing that bothers me quite a bit, the size of your pics! why are they are so small? I would love to see this guy in all its glory.

Sorry about that. I will post bigger pictures in this topic if I have any free time.

Today, I have nothing to do, so I designed a UCS-style stand for this MOC. Similar the the models stands in UCS sets, this stand can display the model and some basic inforrmation.

here's a picture of my T-70 LDD MOC placed om my custom designed stand.

21415757851_9ab7b22ec3_z.jpg T-70 with custom UCS style stand by Armstrong X-Wing, on Flickr

Any comments are welcomed.

I've been putting off replying here for a while, but I think now is as good a time as any. First off, as a model, I really like the design. 9493 is a really great base, and as it is I'm modding one to become simply put, a better X-Wing. While 9493 is probably a tad chunky for an X-wing, I think it can be gotten around with some nice mods, kind of like what you've done here. As for the T-70, I think of it as a much slimmer X-Wing. After looking at the models of them, that's more or less true. Now, by no means in 9493 a perfect T-65, but I have a soft spot for it. Really, what you've done here is convert a T-65 into a T-70. There's nothing wrong with that, (As I did a similar thing with my Z-95) but I don't feel it suits the T-70 well. Now, one thing in particular I absolutely love is the cockpit. I love Mike Psiaki's X-Wing (I built one about a year ago), and his cockpit was always a stand out. But putting it on 9493 was a stroke of genius. It just looks fantastic. I'll probably experiment with this and the new cockpit mold to see what I like better on my X-Wing. Additionally, The stand looks great. Could I see the stand on it's own? I might end up building something similar for my own models. But, I can also see some problem areas that could be improved on. The fuselage on the T-70 is more or less flat, if you will, doing away the hexagon shape of the T-65 in favor of some very gentle curves. I would take off all of the slopes around there, and just have some flat plates or tiles. I can't see if the 'hexagon' that 9493 used is still on there, but if it is I would suggest flattening it out. The 2x1 cheese slopes, however, are actually pretty accurate, but I would expand them out some more. I won't really dwell on the nose much, as it's a very touchy subject for almost every X-Wing model, but I think some improvements could probably be made. Another little thing carried over from 9493 is that inverted slope piece on the bottom. The T-70 has an almost entirely flat bottom. I would keep the rounded parts there, as I can see why they're needed, but definitely take off the inverted slope, and maybe thin out the bottom some, as it dips a bit low. The next thing would be the wings. Top wings, perfect. The slopes aren't perfectly accurate, but I like them. The bottom wings, however, are a tad bit of an issue. I would move the slopes coming of the engine forward, and then remove the large wing piece. Maybe even remove the slopes as well. Then, just have the engine connected on a 4x6 or 6x6 plate.The wing should only be about 3 studs wide, while the engine can go all the way back. I think that after some of these improvements, you could have an even better model than you have now. Now, if you don't wanna take my suggestions, that's totally fine. Your model isn't bad, it could just do with some improvement. One last suggestion from me would be to consider just turing this back into a T-65. Maybe as a side project. I'm sure it'd look great. Anyways, that's it from me. Happy modding (or doing nothing if you prefer)

Edited by GuyDudeMan27

Now, one thing in particular I absolutely love is the cockpit. I love Mike Psiaki's X-Wing (I built one about a year ago), and his cockpit was always a stand out. But putting it on 9493 was a stroke of genius. It just looks fantastic. I'll probably experiment with this and the new cockpit mold to see what I like better on my X-Wing. Additionally, The stand looks great. Could I see the stand on it's own? I might end up building something similar for my own models. But, I can also see some problem areas that could be improved on. The fuselage on the T-70 is more or less flat, if you will, doing away the hexagon shape of the T-65 in favor of some very gentle curves. I would take off all of the slopes around there, and just have some flat plates or tiles. I can't see if the 'hexagon' that 9493 used is still on there, but if it is I would suggest flattening it out. The 2x1 cheese slopes, however, are actually pretty accurate, but I would expand them out some more. I won't really dwell on the nose much, as it's a very touchy subject for almost every X-Wing model, but I think some improvements could probably be made. Another little thing carried over from 9493 is that inverted slope piece on the bottom. The T-70 has an almost entirely flat bottom. I would keep the rounded parts there, as I can see why they're needed, but definitely take off the inverted slope, and maybe thin out the bottom some, as it dips a bit low. The next thing would be the wings. Top wings, perfect. The slopes aren't perfectly accurate, but I like them. The bottom wings, however, are a tad bit of an issue. I would move the slopes coming of the engine forward, and then remove the large wing piece. Maybe even remove the slopes as well. Then, just have the engine connected on a 4x6 or 6x6 plate.The wing should only be about 3 studs wide, while the engine can go all the way back. I think that after some of these improvements, you could have an even better model than you have now. Now, if you don't wanna take my suggestions, that's totally fine. Your model isn't bad, it could just do with some improvement. One last suggestion from me would be to consider just turing this back into a T-65. Maybe as a side project. I'm sure it'd look great. Anyways, that's it from me. Happy modding (or doing nothing if you prefer)

Thanks for the comment. I knew that I still need to improve my model. As a request, here's the stand itself.

21406943016_2e38fa412c_z.jpg Custom UCS style display stand by Armstrong X-Wing, on Flickr

This stand is also compatible with most offical sets like 75039, 7140, 75003, and many more.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Here's a picture of my T-70 with some changes. The changes are:

1. More accurate and smoother wings design.

2. The width of the lower wings reduced to 5 studs. GuyDudeman27 suggest me to make the lower wngs only 3 studs wide, but I can't. Of course a 3 stud wide lower wing will be nice, but it's inpratical because it may weaken the structure of the lower wings.

20863869504_de4457cb6e_b.jpg Incom T-70 X wing Starfighter update by Armstrong X-Wing, on Flickr

More pictures coming soon, and any comments are welcome. :classic:

Edited by ArmstrongYong

That is a very cool looking ship. The angled windshield with plates on its side looks great, I'm going to have to steal that idea.

Thanks for your kind words! You can visit my Flickr account for more pictures if you want it.