So as soon as I heard about the new contest, I knew I wanted a different crane as the normal mobile ones...

A quick google search for off road crane inspired me as soon as I saw this picture:

6196-1.jpg

More info here:

http://www.ww.mainpu...ifting/6196.htm

Yes, its an 8x8 off road crane with massive tyres, suspension and what-not.

After fiddling in LDD and real life I came up with front suspension:

P1210365.JPG

As you can see, its inspired by 42043's rear axle assemby, but upgraded:

- with all wheel drive

- portal axles,

- improved steering system

- longer, harder shock absorbers

- can carry A LOT of weight

The steering system is my own idea (as far as i know), by using different handle and steering arms length I get different steering angles:

P1210367.JPG

Another thing I built are the outriggers.

Because this is an off road truck, the outriggers need to be high enough not to bump into terrain, yet they have to lower enough to do their job.

P1210368.JPG

This is why they extend at an angle:

P1210369.JPG

The outriggers may look rather thin and weak, but the fact is the 13L beam and 13L rack are in a sandwich which cannot be seperated, so they can carry lot of weight, as long as you dont bend them sideways too much.

Here is how the front suspension and outriggers look like together:

P1210370.JPG

And I already started working on the rear axle...

You can see its simpler than front axle, it has more support, and its very solid.

There are a total of 10 points holding the rear axle assembly:

- 4x Springs

- 4x Longitudal links with rubber bricks with limited longitudal movement (you need a bit of movement in order for axles to flex sideways)

- 2x Panhard links which keep the axles from loosely moving sideways

Also notice the drive axle on the left, thats for the fake motor drive.

P1210371.JPG

More info soon...

Edited by Zblj

As always with your designs, i like how sturdy and massive it is. Also great choice of the truck.

Whats the plan for the superstructure and boom?

Hmm it looks tasty... :P It's a pity that I have no plenty of free time to build my all Ideas...

Superstructure is not important.. Uppsss... Milan is here... :D ...OK I'm looking forward for superstructrure... It will be very interesting MOC...

Very good start of contest... I like all the modules you have done... :)

Max...

P.S.: When I look at chassis, crane part will be very very big... :O

Edited by MaxSupercars

Looks great as always !

Interestig idea with the steering and outriggers :thumbup:

Haha, just read the text on the crane- "Chelabinets", that is what I waited, off-road crane only can be seen in Russia... :head_back:

Original : Челябинец.

Edited by LXF

Wow, I better just stop building... Because we have a winner! Hahaha I love this it looks like a great build and you have come a far way in a short amount of time. Nice work as always

WWoosshh! There goes my chance of winning :classic: Great start by the way.

I'm looking for outrigger inspiration so I like your idea. Can't enter the comp as I'm working on my own moc etc but good luck to you and the others taking part. I will watch progress with interest.

H

Progress update :sweet:

The chassis is more or less done, only thing missing are the rear outriggers:

P1210373.JPG

The drive has been upgraded to 4 XL motors and the axles have been renforced with additional 9L links:

P1210374.JPG

I also started working on big, LOUD boom :tongue:

P1210375.JPG

It can extend over a meter tall:

P1210376.JPG

I used LOTS of radiator grills on top part of final stage in order to route the rope which moves the stage... I think its a clever idea :sweet:

P1210377.JPG

So, thats the progress so far... To do list:

- rear outriggers

- autopump for outriggers

- cabin (exterior and interior)

- superstructure (all functions, frame, support, etc...)

- final touches

I am going to take a little break now, so my fingers can recover from the abuse... :sceptic:

Edited by Zblj

You're going way too fast, don't you have to work or something? :grin:

Joking aside: that looks really impressive. With 4XL motors it's going to be the world's fastest crane.

How rigid is the boom when extended? I was quite impressed by the boom of 42009 and wondering how to improve on it for my own build (which is progressing so slowly it's almost going backwards :wink: I only have about 30-45 minutes per day after work available...) I don't want to copy the 42009 boom, obviously.

Great progress... it's like to watch TV serie... almost every day something new... :D

Make of chassis was for you like to make a new taste of ice cream... :D

One XL Motor for one axle... great and powerful... I like the chassis... I will be glad to see it moving in real terrain.

Looking forward for next progress... ;)

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

You are really fast! My build only is going in its development and your one is going like a Formula1 pit-stop!

Amazing work there! Really like the idea for the rope channel using the grills.Maybe will need some too

Edited by LXF

Are the four XL's still interconnected (via differentials)? If not, won't they be fighting eachother, due to different friction and/or voltage and/or different motor power? It looks as if they are still connected per 2, but I can't really make it out from the pictures.

I think you will be the winner, until now that crane truck seems amazing, and the outrigger system reminds my the 42043 b model, and the size, the 4 xl motors, the suspension, everything its very clever, good luck in the contest :thumbup: .

Did you consider putting larger tires? I think it would look even more awesome with them.

Only bigger tyres left are power puller ones! And I have only 4 of them.

Anyone noticed rear wheels are wider than front?

I did ,but as I don't have that type of wheel I supposed that they should look like that.

Wider rims on the rear ones? And front ones thinner for the steering?

Edited by LXF

Yo,

you sure a as fast as a bullet, such complexity in so little time. I guess you'lle have plenty of time left to improve it to the last bit. As you can see we're thirsty for more, so keep those updates coming ;-)

Only bigger tyres left are power puller ones! And I have only 4 of them.

Anyone noticed rear wheels are wider than front?

I thought you had 8 of "Technic POWER" tires :look: